Controlling type 2 diabetes with diet

Help Support CattleToday:

That's funny my wife's family could eat boiled water and have high cholesterol.
Everyone of them has had a heart attack and are ate up with cancer.
My wife is the first woman in her family to make it past 42 in four generations without breast cancer.
There were no statin's then.
That would definitely be a genetic thing.
In my family there is no prevalence for any particular disease, most die of old age or disease that was self inflicted by diet or smoking but even those usually live to be older.

In response to being locked out of type1 thread I guess I'll give my experience with type 2.
Taking 3 different meds and being prescribed insulin I changed my diet. Eliminating all sugar, almost all carbs. No fruit,honey no potatoes, no rice, no pasta.
Kudus (y) that you were able to do this. Not many, myself included can..or will.

I have tho, been on Metformin since late winter 2016 with no ill effects that I know of.

I've never been prescribed insulin but my twin brother (type2) was on it, and one of my older sisters is (both are type 2) , as was my mother and most of my aunt/uncles on her side of the family.
Everyone on my paternal side, including father, uncles and grandfather was short of stature, wiry and hard like mountain boulder. Maternal side large, tall and soft like river mud.
My maternal grandfather (He died when I was very young and I never met him) was a huge man, as was his father.
15  Charlie Gregory .jpg

Pasta, potatoes and rice (not necessarily in that order) are my food demons. I don't miss beer, icecream (much) cakes or cokes. (I do miss pecan pie).
More than that, I miss my ability to do much work and exercise.

Exercise, together with diet can control type 2 diabetes for many if not most people, but in the modern world, not many are willing to put the work in on the exercise part. Exercise burns off excess carbs. Then, let something else happen to make exercise either impossible or too painful and the exercise part gets lost.

Last edited:
That would definitely be a genetic thing.
In my family there is no prevalence for any particular disease, most die of old age or disease that was self inflicted by diet or smoking but even those usually live to be older.
excessive gluconeogenesis I had to copy that word.
Is my issue without medication it isn't unusual to wake with a fasting blood glucose of 300.

This is why you need a good endocrinologist.
Most GP's wouldn't catch this.

Are most type 2 overweight yes.
Why is their body doesn't convert sugar to energy but fat because of insulin resistance.
So they eat more because their body is craving it and is a vicious cycle.
You have to be very disciplined on diet and exercise along with meds to control it.
It is more expensive to maintain a diabetic diet that is why there is a higher incidence in lower income.
Most of the diabetic meds that are covered by Medicare and Medicaid cause weight gain.
Look these up for yourself glyburide or glipizide are first line generic defense drugs.
Metformin helps with weight but has the least tolerance with patients.
Even if you control it with diet and exercise your still a diabetic.
I am 5'10" and weigh 173 and still require over a thousand dollars a month to maintain blood glucose. I don't eat enough to keep a bird alive. My nemesis is corn! Any corn products send my blood sugar to the moon! Dang near everything in the grocery store has corn by products in the ingredients from bread to canned goods.
This gets worse with age.
Everything, almost, has corn or a corn derivitive. I have found out a lot trying to do an elimination diet for itching. I wish I knew what makes our bodies start reacting to various foods. I still wonder if the older open pollinated corn would give the same reaction. I don't know.

Everything, almost, has corn or a corn derivitive. I have found out a lot trying to do an elimination diet for itching. I wish I knew what makes our bodies start reacting to various foods. I still wonder if the older open pollinated corn would give the same reaction. I don't know.
There are a lot of people with NAFLD . This has a high rate in insulin resistance people.
Research thinks a lot is genetic. Seems certain race's are more prone
It has to be processed food driven as well IMO.
The average American took in like 10 lbs of sugar a year in the early 1900's today over a hundred pounds.
Again why you need an endocrinologist.

I also was diabetic after being prediabetic for years. Dr gave a bunch of pills and I am not into taking pills, so I look for an alternative solution.
I found a book called Diabetes Destroyer by David Andrews. I followed the directions in the book and in one year I was under 100 daily and my a1c came down to the high 5's.
When I went back to the doctor my new blood work said it all. He was so proud that his pills had cured me ...and then I told him I didn't take any and he got mad.
I proceeded to tell him how I cured myself and he was not interested in hearing how I did it.
Obviously it is all about the food you eat and exercise.
It's been 3 years now and I can pretty much eat anything I want ....within reason.
So I might even have ice cream twice a year or something else that's not good for me as long as it's a little at a time.
Could it possibly be that your mad doctor was being well compensated by the pharmaceutical companies selling the drugs that he was promoting?

Could it possibly be that your mad doctor was being well compensated by the pharmaceutical companies selling the drugs that he was promoting?
More (or equally) likely, he was well comped by an insurance company, especially if MCR was old enough at the time to be on Medicare.

That's quite possible. It's also
I also was diabetic after being prediabetic for years. Dr gave a bunch of pills and I am not into taking pills, so I look for an alternative solution.
I found a book called Diabetes Destroyer by David Andrews. I followed the directions in the book and in one year I was under 100 daily and my a1c came down to the high 5's.
When I went back to the doctor my new blood work said it all. He was so proud that his pills had cured me ...and then I told him I didn't take any and he got mad.
I proceeded to tell him how I cured myself and he was not interested in hearing how I did it.
Obviously it is all about the food you eat and exercise.
It's been 3 years now and I can pretty much eat anything I want ....within reason.
So I might even have ice cream twice a year or something else that's not good for me as long as it's a little at a time.
My story is nearly identical. I literally set in the pharmacy parking lot with the insulin prescription waiting inside for me to pick up. I was already taking three pills. I decided I don't want to go down this road. I changed my diet as described above. Within 6 months my numbers where not just ok but extremely good. Including blood pressure and cholesterol. The doctor was quite proud until I told him I never filled the prescription. I just replaced sugar with animal fat. Then I fired him and found a doctor that new what he was doing.
Most people don't realize that sugar isn't just in the granular form. Depending on your sensitivity you might have to forgo root vegetables and fruit as well. Fruit juice can be as bad as Pepsi. Almost without exception people who discount this information have not honestly tried it. It's pretty simple everything you need to nurture your body exist in animal fat. It exists in a form digestible to your relatively simple digestive system. ( Compared to animals that eat plants)
One thing that is not present in meat ,fat,and eggs is sugar. Luckily you don't need sugar to live. .... unless you're a addict. And that's the case for the majority of Americans.

It was amazing how I felt after 30 days with no sugar or flour. I'm in my early 60s and can work all day 10 hours hard work around the barn, building fence, working cattle whatever...5 years ago no way I couldn't have done it.
Giving up sugar AND flour is really hard to do....but like anything else, time is on your side. Once you get used to it, it becomes a lifestyle.
Once you have got yourself cleaned up, at Thanksgiving and Christmas you can actually enjoy some of the better things in life that are bad for you !

Many people go for years in which they have no idea that they are diabetic (Either type) until they are because usually, The changes are subtle. OR, they are like I always was and just never went to a doctor unless something was really obviously wrong. Just 'toughed' my way thru almost everything untill I finally had enough and went to the ER because I knew 'something' was wrong. That's the day I found out I had had multiple heart attacks over a period of about 3 months and never really had any of the 'usual' symptoms. No pain, no real muscle weakness, I'd just suddenly get completely fatigued. Also was the day I found out I was diabetic with a glucose of over 400 mg/dl. I had a quad bypass within 24 hours later, as stents weren't an option due to the way one of my arteries had grown.

I didn't really get started on diabetic control until 4 months later after doing my cardiac rehab and healing up some, but the bypass was 8 Oct and I was out building a cross fence in Dec, tho not digging any postholes for sure. Cardio rehab began early January for about 6 weeks, 3 x/week.

Avoiding 'anything white' is hard. No sandwiches, no hamburgers, no white gravy on a CFS, no rice, no potatoes in my roast beef. No ketchup (tons of sugar in ketchup) , Little or no Mexican food, no Asian dishes ...you reach a point where you have to decide what 'living' really means in relation to or compared to just being 'alive'.

Wife brought me some "sugar free mini Reeses" the other day. No added sugar but reading the label, it says 'total sugars=0' but also says sugar alcohols-12g. (per serving which is 3 pieces) That term is misleading, neither alcohol or sugar. They are a type of carbohydrate that comes from corn syrup, but not directly. In this case, it's Malitol. 75% as sweet as sugar but almost no calories AND it's indigestible. Barely glycemic but not zero and it causes a gas and diarrhea in many people. (I can attest to that..it was bad!)
Ya have to read labels.

Your body converts fats to carbohydrates!
You can live without eating carbohydrates but must have fat to convert to carbohydrates.
Your brain and organs run on it.
Again why you should see an endocrinologist and not a GP.
incomplete info is false info. you are referring to a [process called ketoisis. the body begins to burn fat instead of storing it. new science is suggesting this is a prefered natural state for the human body. when you consume carbs or sugar. same thing really. the body stops metabolizing fat and runs on the cheap calories provided by the sugar. when you remove all forms of sugar and cheap carbs the body enters ketoisis in about 48 hours. as mountanicreek described you can tell. youll know when it happens by how you feel.

If you don't take in fats, your body will scavenge them from your own stored fats.
Doesn't mean you will get skinny tho. It means you will lose muscle ability and other functions if the fat scavenging goes on long enough.

incomplete info is false info. you are referring to a [process called ketoisis. the body begins to burn fat instead of storing it. new science is suggesting this is a prefered natural state for the human body. when you consume carbs or sugar. same thing really. the body stops metabolizing fat and runs on the cheap calories provided by the sugar. when you remove all forms of sugar and cheap carbs the body enters ketoisis in about 48 hours. as mountanicreek described you can tell. youll know when it happens by how you feel.
sounds a lot like Atkins or keto diet.

Many people go for years in which they have no idea that they are diabetic (Either type) until they are because usually, The changes are subtle. OR, they are like I always was and just never went to a doctor unless something was really obviously wrong. Just 'toughed' my way thru almost everything untill I finally had enough and went to the ER because I knew 'something' was wrong. That's the day I found out I had had multiple heart attacks over a period of about 3 months and never really had any of the 'usual' symptoms. No pain, no real muscle weakness, I'd just suddenly get completely fatigued. Also was the day I found out I was diabetic with a glucose of over 400 mg/dl. I had a quad bypass within 24 hours later, as stents weren't an option due to the wa
If you don't take in fats, your body will scavenge them from your own stored fats.
Doesn't mean you will get skinny tho. It means you will lose muscle ability and other functions if the fat scavenging goes on long enough.
not if you replace the fat calories with carbs and sugar. your body will run on the cheap gas and leave the fat alone. in fact it will probaly add to it. if you dont consume fat or carbs you will starve. protien alone will not provide the energy needed to survive in a healthy condition.

also known as the natural human diet. our ancestors did not eat carbs and sugar on a regular basis. wild fruit and vegetables are only available in quanity on a seasonal basis. animals are available year round

No I keep telling the people see an endocrinologist and not listen to a fence builder for medical advice.

"

Creating Glucose

Carbohydrates consist of molecules of sugar, which your body digests into glucose and uses for energy. When you're short on carbs, glucose can be created from fat and protein in a process called gluconeogenesis. Gluconeogenesis takes place mostly in your liver, which also has the job of maintaining a steady amount of glucose in your blood. If blood sugar drops too low due to problems in the liver, your kidneys can boost blood sugar by converting the amino acid glutamine into glucose."

No I keep telling the people see an endocrinologist and not listen to a fence builder for medical advice.

"

Creating Glucose

Carbohydrates consist of molecules of sugar, which your body digests into glucose and uses for energy. When you're short on carbs, glucose can be created from fat and protein in a process called gluconeogenesis. Gluconeogenesis takes place mostly in your liver, which also has the job of maintaining a steady amount of glucose in your blood. If blood sugar drops too low due to problems in the liver, your kidneys can boost blood sugar by converting the amino acid glutamine into glucose."

. I've never told anyone not to see proper medical advice. I challenge you to show where I have. I've told of my personal experiences and research. Is that against forum rules now And of course I'm sure you feel your more qualified than anyone .
If you have a problem with me I invite you to discuss it in front of the members of this forum instead of hiding and censoring post that in no form or fashion violate any forum rules.

Fence:

Could you fill in the blanks here?
Typical day's intake:
1 Breakfast:
____________ proteins
_____________fats
_____________drink
_____________Sugars if any-solid or liquid form

2. Lunch whether at home or on the go:
____________ Proteins
____________Fats
____________Drink
_____________Sugars (if any in any form)

3. Dinner (or supper as we call it)
_____________ Proteins
_____________Fats
_____________Drink
_____________ Sugars if any-any form.

An rough example of what I'm looking for:
Lunch
2-3 boiled eggs Proteins
a chunk of smoked ham Fats
whole milk or water Drink
????? ketogenic monk fruit desert Sugars
(I really have no idea what monkfruit is but it's on the 'good list' of sugars)

(trying to get my head around how this works in practical/real life)

Latest posts