Controlled Burn

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":35gk48h6 said:
fenceman":35gk48h6 said:
When my grandfather fell and the local fire department helped us I took them a check for 200 the next day. When a fire truck with to kids showed up acting like John Wayne and demanding access to my property. I doing a legal controlled burn that I had called in.
I chained the gate and told them to get a warrant.
I would say very few wildfires are caused by responsible controlled burning. Cigarettes , bbq, fourwheelers, fireworks , etc.I 'll go on to say controlled burning prevents more fire than it creates.
Billing someone except in very blatant cases of negligence is very bad policy..It will alienate your community and make people less likely to call when things get out of hand.
Have a bake sale, or a auction like every other volunteer dept. Take care of them and I assure you they will take care of you.
I bet most of the bills get thrown in the fire anyway
fenceman, I know the conditions there are dfferent than here but here 99% of the fires are human caused and about 2/3 of them are from carelessness. About 1/3 are arson. A fire here from a cigarette is very, very rare. Lightning fires are also rare here. The conditions have to be just right and that does not happen very often. Again our conditions are different.The fire deartments can bill if they want but for brush fires the State Forestry Department will bill for every escaped fire where a responsible party is identified. I dont want my tax dollars pay for some idiot that lets a fire get away every year.

Understood and we'll put. I have no problem with firefighters as long as they don't have a problem with me. Fire is a necessary tool here to fight cedar. Its going to burn you can bet on it. I would rather it do it on my terms. When I do it I do it legally , I call it in and stay with it till it's done. I also weld outside on a daily basis. That to requires diligence. Again Kenny well said.

I had one field that burned because of my stupidity. I was checking to see if it was dry enough so a took a handful and lit it. All it did was smoked, too wet to brun that day. I dropped it and just as I stomped on it a gust of wind hit. Lo and behold, it wasn;t too wet afterall. The fire took off like a shot so I got infront of it and stomped it out, just as the wind shifted 90 degrees, almost got it stomped out and the wind shifted again. I couldn;t run fast enough to get in front of it. Ran to the house and called it in then went to work trying to get it out or at least corraled. Volunteers were here in about 10 minutes with a pumper truck, no water supply anywhere near the fire. They had it out in a matter of minutes. Burned some fence posts, melted some insulated hot wire but other then feeling like a jackass no harm done.
You would be correct if you figured I paid my dues without complaint.

With my current home fire dues are ncluded on the water bill. When I get moved out of town it will be a 25$ donation yearly when they are collecting them plus eating there when they have fundraisers. If yu havent paid the dues then its $500 dollar bill if they get called. Insurance or not.

Latest posts