controlled burns...

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes but them long eared cattle were up feeding in 94 degrees heat at 3:eek:o pm. Sure alot of long eared black cows there. Thinking about some Braford influence in my Angus always had black cows in Ga. I guess I should have brought my drip torch and accidentally had a BBQ or nice Bonfire party. Once upon a time a reward was offered for the arrest of the willfull woods burnner in Orlando, and the Boggy Creek area. :cowboy:

We perform controlled burns quite often and two good tools to have outside of having good fire breaks are several Fire Swatters and a good drip torch.

1569_85093_p2.jpg

I would add for saftey to backfire then backfire again, Ihope no major road near? (smoke) we do a 12ft disc lane also and my neighbor used his big cat to make sure no fire jump that he can't plow under quickly, I think the hardest part is starting the backfires and making sure they do not get to out of control, remember slow and steady, make it hot thorough.

yeah its almost to late..greening is here..but i gotta git it when i can...slow and steady is what i need...itll be abacklit in 2 corners and then lit off in the direction of the wind to meet at the pond halfway hopefully

man i can only say what can go wrong will go wrong

wind changed direction 1/2 hr after lighting it off...blew all the smoke across the highway...so many people called it in the fire dept came out....slo0w burning...lit it at 430 pm...went to bed at midnight and alot of piles of brush still smoldering....fire dept said they would call me to check it out before they came back...luckily they didnt
wind blew every direction poss...first if fed the fire..then it was blowing it away so it burned so slow it hardly moved...no matter where we lit it it wouldnt burn together...whole bunch of litle fires not moving towards each other. i think we underestimated the amt of brush in the burn piles cuz alot of them never even spread

lotta work...im sore and exhausted today..and got 12hrs shift work for the next 3 days...groan :cry2:

burned alot of it..not all but any is better than what i had so it worked out okay.... :?

wife didnt take nay pics cuz she was too busy running down burnovers and callin me to come put em out..dangit..oh well..

least we dont hafta vacuum

gary

Glad it went well. :D

:lol:

Seriously, all of our burns turn out to be challenging. Its amazing how the wind changes so dramatically once you light off a section.

That is so true. A successful burn is one where you did't burn up your equipment or your neighbors property, no one got heat exhaustion or smoke inhalation, and no lawsuits from a neighboring town. Glad it worked out well. We usually look like ants every time we light ours off.

Latest posts