Controlled burn in florida

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

One of the leases I have is overgrown and could really use a burn down. Grapevines have taken over in some places, as well as other vines and such down the middle of the place. Probably 30 acres worth. It's surrounded on 3 sides by canals leading to a lake.
Can one half at a time be burned down, and who do I contact to have it done? No way I could do it, I don't have a clue about controlled burns.
Any ideas?

Call your local.division of forestry they will need land descriptions long and lat. They will assign a number to the parcel and issue a permit. They will advise of the procedures. When summer starts its hard to get burn permits because of dry weather. Make sure you let them know there will be a disc and tractor on site and if u have a local vol fire most of the time they will come out and assist with burn for a small donation

Thanks m5. Do they normally have contacts of poee I can call to handle the burn? Maybe I can get kt to trade some burn help for some gator hunting

Your burn contact will most likely be a fire department with (whatever class number it's called) burn training.

hooknline":3npfmvre said:
Thanks m5. Do they normally have contacts of poee I can call to handle the burn? Maybe I can get kt to trade some burn help for some gator hunting

Last time I was in Florida we burned 480,000 acres. But it wasn't controled at all until then.

kenny thomas":n667ydhh said:
hooknline":n667ydhh said:

Last time I was in Florida we burned 480,000 acres. But it wasn't controled at all until then.
The uncontrolled part I can handle. The controlled part....not so much :cowboy:

Ok I reread your post. Burning fields are easy. First disc around tthe place real good. If property is square you will need to know the best wind direction. A north wind you will light fire on south end and let it back burn 30 to 40 feet the same on east and west side once it has a sufficient burnt buffer zone light the north side and get to check out of there. I use a roofing torch to start it. Got an old fire pot but torch is easier. A local VFD would do it. I know we do it up here for about 100 bucks.

It's not anywhere near square. And down here there aren't any vfd's but ill get with the county Fd and see if they want to tackle it

hooknline":1u3aerga said:
It's not anywhere near square. And down here there aren't any vfd's but ill get with the county Fd and see if they want to tackle it
Yes check with them. A lot of times they will use it as training and most fire fighters like fire.

kenny thomas":ah5dmc84 said:
hooknline":ah5dmc84 said:

Your pretty funny Mr K! I don't doubt what you say but you got to tell us the rest of that story!

M5farm":a3ar30j1 said:
Ok I reread your post. Burning fields are easy. First disc around tthe place real good. If property is square you will need to know the best wind direction. A north wind you will light fire on south end and let it back burn 30 to 40 feet the same on east and west side once it has a sufficient burnt buffer zone light the north side and get to check out of there. I use a roofing torch to start it. Got an old fire pot but torch is easier. A local VFD would do it. I know we do it up here for about 100 bucks.

If I come down to help I will eat a lot more than $100 worth. :banana:

I was there in 1998. It was real bad.

It'll be just that in fuel for the torches.
I've got a pig to butcher that I'm waiting for you to get down here. Nothing but the finest or my esteemed guests. :mrgreen:

kenny thomas":u2d8fnyl said:
M5farm":u2d8fnyl said:

If I come down to help I will eat a lot more than $100 worth. :banana:

I was there in 1998. It was real bad.
I remember it was bad. We were on call to go help and was cancelled 2 days before we were to pull out.

Kingfisher":1b6sllgg said:
kenny thomas":1b6sllgg said:
hooknline":1b6sllgg said:

Your pretty funny Mr K! I don't doubt what you say but you got to tell us the rest of that story!
Kingfisher, the fire started in GA up near where Jogeephus lives and we caught it almost to Lake City, Fl. A change in weather stopped it we just controlled it afterward. That was 2007 or 2008 I think.
The fires in Fl are usually weather driven. If its windy and dry the fires get big real fast. Hard to control them until the weather changes. Everything there burns even if its green. Many plants depend on the fires to survive.

Here, the procedure is contact Texas Forest Service--they will come out, appraise the situation and advise. On a large tract, they will bring out a dozer and have a crew on standby on the day of the burn. Day of the burn, Notify nearest FD, Sheriff Dept dispatch, and check one last time with Forest in case they know something about imminent weather you do not. We don't have to get a permit here, just notify everyone along the chain.
No matter what tho, if it gets out of control here, even with Texas Forest Service ok and Nat'l Forest service in the loop, the person with the match is responsible for any and all damages outside their property lines.
Make sure ya got a full tank of fuel in your tractor Hook--and a shovel.

the shovel is to bury yourself with if it gets out and burns down 1/2 the county

(I own pg2 of the Hook burns down Florida thread)

Here we just take 2 four wheelers with sprayers and our dozer. Around here you can't get any help from anyone. Most of our land borders usfs land that they burn every 3 years and even when they are burning that they can't let it get over on us.

Just light the thing and when the fuel is gone it will go out. :mrgreen:

Pasture is pretty easy burning but its fast. Call and get a permit, the forestry guys might come out and lend you a hand, if not just start the fire on the downwind side and let it back against the wind and pray the wind doesn't shift. Don't rely on the canal to stop the fire. I like to harrow around it a few times and have the tractor idling when I burn them. If possible, once you get it backed off the downwind side good set some flank fires then ring the thing so it will pull to the middle then its over.

If you can talk Kenny into coming down get him to show you some of his dozer stunt driving.

We could do a little ct party. Anyone that wants to come down to florida. I'll buy the booze, food, etc. you're not that far away either Jo. Now that would be fun. You could even come visit a college while you're here.
And I'm still tryin to wrapt head around how that got tipped like that.

Latest posts