Controlled burn in florida

Help Support CattleToday:

hooknline":31pw6ohd said:
We could do a little ct party. Anyone that wants to come down to florida. I'll buy the booze, food, etc. you're not that far away either Jo. Now that would be fun. You could even come visit a college while you're here.
And I'm still tryin to wrapt head around how that got tipped like that.
too many yankees down there.

:nod:
Truth. But we could over run them if you northern southerners would come down too

DOF just called back. I can put them on standby and do it myself, or I can hire it out to the one guy in 300 miles that does it.
Or.....I can throw a shindig that would make Jesse Jackson jealous with all the booze and pork and have some help

For me, the words "controlled" and "burn" in the same sentence would be likened to "benevolent liberal". Never seen it myself. Least not when I struck the match. No permit required here, but I did learn if your land borders NFS you are suppose to call them ahead of time. NFS also has a program to control burn bordering private land for dirt cheap. Rediculously cheap. Like 3 bucks an acre. But there is a waiting list. And they only do it about 10 weeks out of the year

Just take your time burning the edge in, then the inside won't go anywhere as long as you don't have 30+mph wind come up. We burn about 1000 acres every year for us and friends and have never had anything get out of control.

hooknline":2rnqb0s3 said:
We could do a little ct party. Anyone that wants to come down to florida. I'll buy the booze, food, etc. you're not that far away either Jo. Now that would be fun. You could even come visit a college while you're here.
And I'm still tryin to wrapt head around how that got tipped like that.

The tipping part is no problem. Its the driving it through the woods in that position that takes skill. Makes it easier to get between the trees. :cowboy:
In 1998 near Pearson, Fl I got one stuck and it turned over in flat land. One track was on a stump and the other side sank until water was running in the cab. Got another dozer hooked to the top of the cab and pulled it back up and drove it out on one track with the second dozer holding it up.

Make sure you invite us! Hubby is 26 year career California Department Fire and Forestry, retired, and I am a local volunteer (hey, where do you think our farm name comes from?!?!). We have burned a few pastures over here, and do lots of shrub piles. Our favorite tool is a drip torch! But denvirmartinfarms is right, get the edges burned in first, and it will eat itself out.
Mmmm, pork sounds good.....

Can I bring the matches?
15acres1.jpg

AGF has some neat little dodads that go on a 4wheeler that shoots little balls of fire at the push off a button. They won't let me play with it.

Them dodads is fitted to helicopters too. And they won't let me play with them either. I keep telling them its tax payer property, but they ain't listening

Hook I used to burn all the time, but not anymore. It has grown up too much around here and people like to sue at the drop of a hat. I have no idea how Florida law reads, but I imagine if it gets out of control even if your doing everything correct, you will be on the hook. Just too much to worry about. Good luck in whatever you do.

I wonder how dead eye would get stuck in the sky, landing i guess i could see. However ya clean it out, let us know. My cows ate the crap out of stuff i never expected and that was in summer with lots of green ole grass! I now know cut vines and put them over the fence for hourderves.

Latest posts