Controlled Burn

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
Is it a bad idea to attack overgrown fence lines with a controlled burn?

They are very overgrown.

I did a burn along one fence line that little did I know had an exposed 3/4" pvc waterline running along it.

I should have said, what little fence that is there will be replaced. Thè current fence is usesless.

Might want to have some water handy if you have any of the new pressure treated corner posts. These things are like kindling I've found.

Just dont let it become and out of control controlled burn.. We always giggle when that call comes over the radio...

M-5":2ql0kv2g said:
I don't giggle when I get called to idiots that set woods on fire. They don't giggle when I hand them a bill
We never giggle at fires we giggle at the 'out of control controlled burn' that dispatch names the call... What fire department hands someone a bill? Our department needs to do that..

Bigfoot":mrqkli3u said:
I vote bulldozer, if you are replacing wire anyway.
BF, you hit on my second choice. I am thinking of just pushing everything back except big trees. I might rent one and learn how to drive it, or hire a driver too if I have to.

I am thinking burning might be a lot cheaper. I would have to clear almost five miles of fence row.

I planned to work with the local volunteer FDs and see if they want to have some practice burns... Let them pick the day, and the conditions.

M-5":3lxz4qm9 said:
Volunteer fire dept do. We charge insurance also on house and car fires. You think the services are free. Only the volunteers time is free.
So you think they might go for it?

Yes. Talk to the cheif and offer a nice donation I don't know a single fireman that doesn't like to burn something. I can't tell you how Many brush piles and old houses we've burned over he years for a donation

HDRider":1vqo8o0w said:
Bigfoot":1vqo8o0w said:
BF, you hit on my second choice. I am thinking of just pushing everything back except big trees. I might rent one and learn how to drive it, or hire a driver too if I have to.

I am thinking burning might be a lot cheaper. I would have to clear almost five miles of fence row.

I planned to work with the local volunteer FDs and see if they want to have some practice burns... Let them pick the day, and the conditions.

I'm leaning towards buying one, taking a couple years to clean my place up, then trying to sell it for what I paid. If you have any buddies in the excavation business, they can probably help you find a deal on a piece of equipment.

M-5":2zvxjr7j said:
Volunteer fire dept do. We charge insurance also on house and car fires. You think the services are free. Only the volunteers time is free.

They show up beating their chest every time we light a match.

SJB":lhipgs97 said:
HDRider":lhipgs97 said:
Bigfoot":lhipgs97 said:

I'm leaning towards buying one, taking a couple years to clean my place up, then trying to sell it for what I paid. If you have any buddies in the excavation business, they can probably help you find a deal on a piece of equipment.
I'd like to knock it out pretty quick..

I've never had good luck burning a fence row, ofcourse I've never seen your fence row. It might go up like paper. Mine burn some places good, and others not so good.

About the only thing you will burn will be the grass or real small twigs. Then you have black trees and brush for the bulldozer to push instead of green. Just hire a big bulldozer with a good operator and get it done fast and right.

Latest posts