Consumers want to know

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
Maybe most of you have read this.

Don't be afraid to engage the public
Producers and the public are responding to more public concerns about animal welfare. Sixty-five percent of respondents in a recent survey said they believed animals have rights.

Producers were also asked if they were working cattle along a highway and someone took a picture, how would they would respond. Eighty-five percent said they would engage in a conversation, with 6 percent saying they would tell the visitor to leave and 9 percent saying they would ignore them.

And when asked if the industry should engage in discussions with animal rights groups, 43 percent said it depends and 55 percent said yes.

"Remember," Daley said. "They don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. They want trust, that's what they expect."

Don't criticize non-conventional production
There's room for all methods of beef production, said Daley, who's a fifth-generation stocker operator, who grazes public acres in summer and then moves herds into the Sacramento Valley.

But the voices in the beef industry throw criticisms at organic, grass-fed or natural systems – and vice versa.

"We don't have to say grass-fed won't work, or organic won't work, or feedyards are bad. Let the market sort itself out, otherwise it looks like we're defensive or have things to hide."

For more visit:
http://www.progressivecattle.com/news/e ... e-not-data

I looked up Hyatt's foodservice program, and was intrigued to see it centers around a campaign called, "Food Thoughtfully Sourced, Carefully Served." Menu items include things like organic chicken, naturally-cured bacon, organic smoothies and local sorghum syrup.

This sure sounds an awful lot like Chipotle's campaign, "Food With Integrity," where you can buy a burrito with a side of guilt.

http://beefmagazine.com/blog/hyatt-next-chipotle

I don't care what people like. But if they try to tell me how much better grass fed organic sustainable beef is than my grass raised and grain finished beef, I have no respect for their judgement. They are ignorant ill-informed trend followers.

Latest posts