Connelly Lead On

Help Support CattleToday:

shutskytj

Reaction score
Any used or seen any of this Angus bull's progeny I would like to know more about this bull and whether you would recommend his use I know he is an ABS sire

We had a bull sired by him in 2005 from a bred heifer we purchased. Very thick growthy bull. I would reccomend him. The only drawback are performance numbers if that concerns you. And even they arent horrible.

You have his name spelled wrong, and possibly that would prevent your learning facts concerning him. It is "Connealy Lead On", and will be nine years old this spring. Go to "www.absglobal.com" (without the quotes), and check him out. To me, one of the most important genetic references that he has is the fact that he has D H D Traveler 6807 in his third generation back, along with Q A S Traveler 23-4. Fine fundamental basic genetics.

He has over 10,000 progeny on record and his accuracies are in the high nineties on Production. He has good BW (+2.2) and WW (+52), but is a little high for me with his YW (+100) and Milk (+31). If the desire and trend is to lower our cow herd size to around 1200#, +/-, 100# WW flys in the face of that effort. But he is medium framed, and so we have to carefully balance one trait with others for optimal results. It is a real game of manipulation of genes, and if you can win more than 70% of the time, you are in clover!

For a comparison of traits and to give you something to relate characteristics of these two bulls with your OWN cow herd genetics and phenotype and functional traits, check out New Design 878.

DOC HARRIS

DOC,

With regards you WW and YW I tend to look at those to determine rate of growth and not final weight because some bulls such as Objective that have very high YW EPD's don't have progeny that are too incredibly large when mature from what I have seen. Therefore I like to look at Mature Height and Weight to determine which bulls to use to build a mature cowherd around. I keep WW and YW in mind but put more emphasis on MW and MH. No for producing bulls to go to work in the commercial man's pasture we like to have some frame in this area to compete with the Brangus folks.

shutskytj":ir1r0npb said:
Any used or seen any of this Angus bull's progeny I would like to know more about this bull and whether you would recommend his use I know he is an ABS sire

I recently purchased a Mitty in Focus son from a friend of mine, a registered breeder,who has been well pleased with "Lead On" and has kept replacement heifers from him. I saw them with their first calves. They looked very impressive. He said he's going to use him more.

I have been watching this thread with interest. A further question.

Would you use Connealy Lead On on big growthy heifers?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

I love Lead On cattle. I have not breed to him. I buy his progeny. He is a good middle of the road bull. Isn't too big, not too small. Has some depth and width. His numbers are proven out. Lead On females look feminine. The progeny I have seen, have good shape, feet and legs. If you use him, you will be very happy. Look at upcoming sale catalogs to see his progeny. Google; Coneally Lead On progeny. You will find a lot of them around.

Angus In Texas":22xmsy1u said:
DOC,

With regards you WW and YW I tend to look at those to determine rate of growth and not final weight because some bulls such as Objective that have very high YW EPD's don't have progeny that are too incredibly large when mature from what I have seen. Therefore I like to look at Mature Height and Weight to determine which bulls to use to build a mature cowherd around. I keep WW and YW in mind but put more emphasis on MW and MH. No for producing bulls to go to work in the commercial man's pasture we like to have some frame in this area to compete with the Brangus folks.
Ah-h, now THAT does make sense. I should have considered that, and will do so in the future. Thank you for catching me up on procedures. ;-)

It has progressed so far into the 'multiple EPD's' considerations, that you find yourself coming back down the same path you went over fifteen minutes before, and causing you to double think your selective choices. That is why I continue to repeat that selection protocols are not "Just fun and games :banana: :lol2: :arrow: " You can find yourself coming and going without a program.

DOC HARRIS

Farmgirl":3198jehr said:
I have been watching this thread with interest. A further question.

Would you use Connealy Lead On on big growthy heifers?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Farmgirl-- If you want to do a lot of watching of them...The times I saw him used on heifers he was very inconsistent in birthweights--anywhere from the 60's to the 100's...My neighbor used him on about 50 nice sized heifers and had several pulls and a couple of C-sections...
I, myself, would not use him on heifers.....His calving ease direct has went down yearly- and he's no longer promoted by ABS as a calving ease bull.....

Now one thing Lead On does is make some beautiful replacement heifers...Last year the Lead On heifers were hot items both registered and commercial...I have one Lead On heifer I bought last year #15563792 - and now that I see how deeply she has grown out- I wish I would have bought the others I had a chance to...
Everyone I have talked to has so far been very pleased with what Lead On does for heifers..

Farmgirl":uvb0k4kq said:
Now one thing Lead On does is make some beautiful replacement heifers...Last year the Lead On heifers were hot items both registered and commercial...I have one Lead On heifer I bought last year #15563792 - and now that I see how deeply she has grown out- I wish I would have bought the others I had a chance to...
Everyone I have talked to has so far been very pleased with what Lead On does for heifers..

Not to hijack this thread and I know the cow is half the equation, but what other Angus sires besides Lead On sires beautiful replacement heifers.

As stated above Lead On is a gamble on heifers due to higher calving difficulties, great for cows though. If you want him get your order in early, he usually is backordered by April.

Cowgirl check out Image Maker AAA#13739532 29AN1642
very consistant BW great growth and phenotype. I would be proud to have heifer sired by him in our herd, even if they are black LOL.

Latest posts