Congratulations St. Louis Cardinals!

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
My :tiphat: to a great team and stellar performance last night. I have been a Cards fan for near 40 years. Growing up in West Tennessee we used to catch the Cards games on KMOX and I remember as a kid falling to sleep with my transistor radio under my pillow listening to Jack Buck call the game. I miss those summer nights with a window fan blowing in the night air and Jack Buck talking in my ear. Not as fancy as today with a big screen TV with fiber optic cable and the internet but I would say without hesitation that the visual picture painted by Jack Buck was better than all the HDTV in the world. Now bring on the Dodgers! :cowboy:

Hoss, my wife doesn't understand why I still like to listen to baseball on radio--------I can't really explain it to her, but there's just something special about it to some of us.

greybeard":1xkco8ng said:
Hoss, my wife doesn't understand why I still like to listen to baseball on radio--------I can't really explain it to her, but there's just something special about it to some of us.

Years ago I remember someone holding up a sign at a Cardinals game I was attending. It said " I saw the game on the radio with Jack Buck". That was a very telling statement on how a real broadcaster can paint that mental image.

Hoss
You are telling my story. KDRS AM in Paragould listening to the Cards until they dropped the power on their transmitter at 8 PM.

Way to go Red Birds. Keep rolling.

When I was a yonker I was a huge cincinnati fan. Our local team, the Seattle Rainiers was the farm club for them. It was neat to see the guys moving up and down from seattle to the reds. I saw them coming up and going back down.

Go CARDS!!! I got to go last night, lucked in to VIP suite tickets. Ate and drank way to much; it was AWESOME!!! Wainwright tossed a gem.

J&D Cattle":2a6jbq4i said:
Go CARDS!!! I got to go last night, lucked in to VIP suite tickets. Ate and drank way to much; it was AWESOME!!! Wainwright tossed a gem.
Did Kash get to go too?

dun":gx317htl said:
J&D Cattle":gx317htl said:
Did Kash get to go too?

I actually got invited by a guy so no. I would have loved to have taken him. My cousin has two tickets for Sat, I'm trying to track her down and buy them for us. He fell asleep watching the game with a big foam finger on. The pic was pretty cute.

J&D Cattle":2wdssp9v said:
I am so freaking jealous :lol: I got to go to a game the last year of the old Bush stadium and I got to go to a game last year in the new stadium I went to a few games as a kid and teen at the old stadium. When I lived in the Chicago area I used to go see them play the Cubs at Wriggley. Living in the Chicago area for a few years turned me into a Cub hater of the highest order :lol:

A guy gotta be a glutton for punishment to remain a Cubs fan for very long. And Leo the Lip came to Houston as a manager for awhile, and I read a book about him recently--how can ya not kinda like a guy that sez:

""the Giants, led by Mel Ott, began to come out of their dugout to take their warm-up. Without missing a beat, I said, "Take a look at that Number Four there. A nicer guy never drew breath than that man there." I called off his players' names as they came marching up the steps behind him, "Walker Cooper, Mize, Marshall, Kerr, Gordon, Thomson. Take a look at them. All nice guys. They'll finish last. Nice guys. Finish last." I said, "They lose a ball game, they go home, they have a nice dinner, they put their heads down on the pillow and go to sleep. Poor Mel Ott, he can't sleep at night. He wants to win, he's got a job to do for the owner of the ball club. But that doesn't concern the players, they're all getting good money." I said, "you surround yourself with this type of player, they're real nice guys, sure—'Howarya, Howarya' and you're going to finish down in the cellar with them. Because they think they're giving you one hundred percent on the ball field and they're not. Give me some scratching, diving, hungry ballplayers who come to kill you. Now, Stanky's the nicest gentleman who ever drew breath, but when the bell rings you're his mortal enemy. That's the kind of a guy I want playing for me."

"Stick it in his ear!

:D

Wainwright threw as good a game as I've seen in years. It got a bit shaky there in the eighth and I about blew beer out my nose when that ball hit the bag but the Cards were good. I really wish they'd quit with this take it down to the last game thing, but that does seem to thaw Freese out.

The old cardiac cardinals pulled through again. Hopefully they will just keep chugging on through.
Mike Shannon does a pretty good job on the radio, and has some whopper stories. Will be listening to them tomorrow night, while in the combine.

sim.-ang.king":780ec9li said:
VanC":780ec9li said:
I would expect that from a loser Cub's fan.

How many rings?

I posted it because I thought it was funny and others will, too, unless they take themselves too seriously.

The Cubs are losers. I'm not. That's what you meant, right?

I have the same number of rings you do. None, unless you played on a World Series winner.

VanC":2c517yso said:
sim.-ang.king":2c517yso said:
VanC":2c517yso said:
I would expect that from a loser Cub's fan.

How many rings?

I posted it because I thought it was funny and others will, too, unless they take themselves too seriously.

The Cubs are losers. I'm not. That's what you meant, right?

I have the same number of rings you do. None, unless you played on a World Series winner.
Must be a Cub fan...so sensitive!

:lol2:

sim.-ang.king":21c5xv3c said:
Must be a Cub fan...so sensitive!

:lol2:

Not usually, but I am tonight for some reason. Just for the record, I don't agree with the article. I grew up in an area where Cubs and Cardinal fans are split about 50/50, so I have lots of friends that root for the Cardinals. When I was a kid I used to fall asleep listening to Jack Buck and Harry Caray doing the Cardinal games on the radio, unless the Cubs were playing at night on the road. The Cardinal's organization is one of the finest in pro sports and has been since long before I was born. Wish I could say the same about the Cubs. :D

Latest posts