Confederate Surprise

Help Support CattleToday:

I think that allot of the reason that the civil war is still fresh in the minds of most southerners is that it happened here. Our ancestors experienced it first hand. Not only on the battlefield as combatants but they saw it happen in their front yard so to speak. Those horrors and hardships were so engraved in the minds of the people that they passed those stories on to their offspring as though it happened yesterday. We still see it in front of us every day because many reminders remain. We have battlefields, monuments and cemetaries all over. I can compare it to Europe after WW2. We have the memories of our vets but the Europeans have that plus the physical scars on the cities and landscape. It is in their face daily. After the destruction of the south it took almost 120 years before parity with the north started happening. In the 1980's industry started to make it's way from the north to the south. Now we are a premier location for industry to move to. Pay scales are comparative to the north. That being said most people over 35 years old still remember those lean years with little to no industry that was a hold over from the civil war. Recovery was slow in coming. Believe it or not when infrastructure is completely destroyed it takes years to overcome it. It is even worse when the infrastructure was fledgling to begin with. Especially in the agricultural south. When the war was over the south had nothing left but it's pride and fighting spirit. Everything else was destroyed or taken over by the carpet baggers. That is why southern pride is referred to so often by us folks down here. I do not know any southeners that hate northerners. I think the vast overall majority are past that. We do still dearly hold on to the southern pride because it is part of our identity and culture that we are not willing to part with. It is a tie to our ancestors, heritage and history. Most of the fun poked at yankees is good natured and only works in the south. The civil war was fought, the north won, the union was restored and time marched on. However, I will not forget my southern heritage or the stories that my grandfather told me that was passed down from his and so on. I could not forget if I wanted to. They were too profound. Our heritages, north or south, is to be celebrated. I will celebrate my southern heritage, pride and culture while at the same time being a loyal, patriotic American.

Let it rest can mean forget. What happened in this country should never be forgotten. Once we forget, it may happen again.

I saved this from a link back in 2005 among some others over the years. The link doesn't work now but I have the text.

The mock trial of Abraham Lincoln

Morgan Kelly / [email protected]
March 27, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. President Abraham Lincoln was found guilty of war crimes against the Confederacy on Saturday.

Among other crimes, a three-member military tribunal found him guilty of illegally seizing Southerners’ property and trying to prevent the South from seceding.

As guards led Lincoln from the courtroom, public spectators cheered and whistled “Dixie.”

The tribunal spared Lincoln’s life, but ordered Lincoln and his Cabinet to resign.

The trial came shortly after Confederate troops captured Washington, D.C., following their victory in Gettysburg, Pa.

The Confederate States of America has no intention to further invade the North, Confederate President Jefferson Davis said.

“That’s the last thing we want,” he said. “We just want to be left alone.”

He then removed his microphone, took a sip of bottled water and posed for pictures with Lincoln and Gen. Robert E. Lee.

The Confederacy’s “honorable president” is actually Jim Bazo, an actor in the mock trial of Abraham Lincoln held Saturday as part of Liberty University’s weekend Civil War Seminar.

Entitled “What if the South Had Won the Civil War,” the event was meant to spark conversation rather than make a political statement, said Brian Melton, an LU history professor.

“There’s not much historical importance, but it’s interesting,” he said. “I think it’s a good way to get the issues - like whether Lincoln was justified or not, was secession legal or illegal - across in a more creative way than a dry lecture.”

“It’s a learning experience,” Bazo said. “I generally don’t cotton to the alternative histories. I generally stick to the facts, but to look at things from

the other side - it expands your mind beyond description.”

“We’re simply exploring something that could possibly have happened had the South been victorious,” said Al Stone, who portrayed Lee.

What did happen was a near four-hour grilling of Lincoln, wherein he was compared to Genghis Khan leading a “vile and scurrilous Union Army” to “invade an innocent country.”

“Of course it is (biased toward the South),” said James Massie, a Madison Heights attorney and the Confederate prosecutor.

“I think there was a lot of intensity and aggression toward the Union and I think (a Confederate prosecutor) would’ve been aggressive, bombastic and want the most extreme punishment for Lincoln they could get.”

Other Union icons were attacked: the Emancipation Proclamation - the document freeing the slaves - was lambasted as a “cunning” military device meant to justify Lincoln’s illegal war.

“(Slavery) was a dark hour for the South, but the Emancipation Proclamation would have never been needed,” Massie said.

“I feel slavery as an institution was something that was coming to a conclusion,” Bazo said. “It didn’t need a war to end.”

Actor Fritz Klein, as Lincoln, didn’t agree.

“I knew from the beginning that slavery and the struggle to make slavery a national institution were at the bottom of Southern resentment of the Northern states,” he said, addressing the tribunal as Lincoln.

“In the South in particular - but not only in the South - there are many who believe that the South should have seceded and it would have all been fine,” he said. “(But) they (the U.S. and C.S.A.) would’ve renewed hostility and taken up arms at another time.”

The trial was relevant to modern times because of the division it highlighted, said Bevin Alexander Jr., a Lynchburg attorney and Lincoln’s defense counsel.

“Especially with the last election,” he said. “With everybody in red states and blue states, the question of what makes up a union is extremely important.”

“Hopefully, we can get people to think - do more than wave the stars and bars and think,” Klein said.

Both men said Lincoln would have received a fair trail in a Confederate court and he did.

“Knowing the character of Jefferson Davis and Southern culture they would’ve done exactly what they did to him in there,” said Robert Barbour, a former state commander for the Virginia Sons of Confederate Veterans.

“We were more gentlemanly, but that’s probably the reason we lost the war.”

For fellow spectator Grover McCloud - in the uniform of a private in the Army of Northern Virginia - the trial was a relief.

“It just confirmed what I believed all along - that Lincoln was actually guilty of war crimes,” he said. “There was really an encroachment on every one’s rights because of what he did.”

Still, viewing the ranks of people happily donning Confederate regalia in a land where Jim Crow reigned for nearly a century, it was hard to think of what exactly the South had been prevented from doing.

And a quote from my Hero's.
"General Thomas Jonathan Jackson"

"If the Republicans lose their little war, they're voted out in the next
election and they return to their homes in New York, or Massachusetts or
Illinois fat with their war profits. If we lose, we lose our country. We
lose our independence. We lose it all." Some things seem constant.

The fates of the Irish at the battle of Fredericksburg show the bottomless cruelty of war. General Lee sums it up succinctly: "It is well that war is so terrible... for we should grow too fond of it."

Hoss you talk about WW2 the scars it has left, yes there are those scars, but here in England we have two that were even bigger, they were fought a very long time ago, the war between England and Scotland in 1384 and the War of the Roses in 1460....they still have influences on the people, Scots and English tolerate each other and people from Yorkshire and Lancashire (war of the Roses) still don't get on. War has a way of lingering for many years so your Civil war North v South is still just a baby in years. I agree though that what was fought for should never be forgot, as other wise it was all for nothing.

"Forget it", "let it rest" ? Well, like Crowder said we probably could if the dang yanks would quit coming down here and trying to impose their ways on us.

If you lived down here and saw the ill mannered, inconsiderate, idiots from the north we have to deal with every day, you would want to start the war again too.

I hear it on the radio almost everyday. People calling in and talking about the Florida idiots. It's not the Florida idiots, it's the dang imported yanks so they are just talking about themselves.

Don't judge my attitude until you have walked in my shoes.

Ryder":2ig3fxae said:
HOSS":2ig3fxae said:
I will celebrate my southern heritage, pride and culture while at the same time being a loyal, patriotic American.
The Confederacy has always been American.

Yes it has. My statement was meant to mean America as it is now.

I always have to wonder about those statements about yankees moving to the south and trying to change things. Do you think that is isolated to the south? We have people from all over the country, including the south, moving here and they want things to be the way they are where they came from.
As for people in the south not hating yankees. I remember very well getting punched in the mouth because I talked like a be nice yankee. I wasn't talking to this person. I never said a word to him before he hit me. Now I certainly don't judge all southerners on one persons actions. And when I was in the south I met some great people but I also met a number of people who judged me a be nice yankee simply because of the way I spoke.
I was born and raised in Washington state which is a long ways from the North that fought with the South. My grandparents didn't come to this country until 1910 or later. How does that make me a yankee?

Dave":2sdr2fj1 said:
I always have to wonder about those statements about yankees moving to the south and trying to change things. Do you think that is isolated to the south? We have people from all over the country, including the south, moving here and they want things to be the way they are where they came from.
As for people in the south not hating yankees. I remember very well getting punched in the mouth because I talked like a be nice yankee. I wasn't talking to this person. I never said a word to him before he hit me. Now I certainly don't judge all southerners on one persons actions. And when I was in the south I met some great people but I also met a number of people who judged me a be nice yankee simply because of the way I spoke.
I was born and raised in Washington state which is a long ways from the North that fought with the South. My grandparents didn't come to this country until 1910 or later.
  • How does that make me a yankee?
  • [/list it don't... our ancestors all came from different places....... mine came from georgia and north carolina :p

Dave, I appologize for that little mishap. I thought you were someone else. :lol:

south-map.jpg

Question answered.

Dave, Weren't me that hit you. I would never hit a yankee.

Maybe a little biatch-slapping but never a fist. :lol:

ALACOWMAN":1zv08okl said:
you too dam gung ho flaboy. those snowbirds got you on edge ;-)

Yeah, it's that time of year down here when they all come flying in, take over the resturants, and walk down isles on the wrong side and expect YOU to move. Should I go on?

Oh, and the yanks that wanted to annex all of our county want me to get a permit to fix my fences. Yeah, like that will happen. :mad:

Latest posts