Concrete pad

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
Would it be ok to pour a concrete pad at my water tank and feed bunk? It gets pretty sloppy there when it rains here. I don't know if standing in that muck is a bad thing for the cows but figure if we ever get back to a normal rain pattern something more stable might be cleaner. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance

We poured around 2 ball wateriers. But only 3 ft or so and the cows back feet are still on the ground. That way they will not slide around on the concrete.

kenny thomas":zyudsk9l said:
We poured around 2 ball wateriers. But only 3 ft or so and the cows back feet are still on the ground. That way they will not slide around on the concrete.
Yea that's kind of what I was thinking too Kenny. I doubt I even form it up much more than a semi circle border and pour the quick Crete on the ground and wet it down. I figure that way it will have some texture and not get slick.

Talking about rocks... I've been pitching rocks into the "area" for a couple of years now hoping they would stay and form like a pad. They just seem to migrate toward the perimeter ....not sure how the cows push em to the outside but they do! ;(

Concrete is awesome to have around feed bunks or water troughs. I would say go for it. The only thing I have noticed is that instead of it being muddy next to the trough, it is now muddy/boggy at the edge of the concrete. No matter what you do, it seems to just migrate the bog. JMHO.

IMO opinion you can never have enough concrete in high traffic areas. Any time we put in more concrete we just make sure it has a brush (rough) finish. Definitely don't want it finished like a basement or garage slick floor.

this had # 3 rock all around it but its wet and they use it alot and it wound up looking like this

ResizedImage_1417044830446_zps2704b440.jpg

driveway fabric was under the rocks too lol

ResizedImage_1417044829831_zps9ec0f89c.jpg

Sky your rock is too small. I use fist size rock and it does 2 things. It is slightly uncomfortable on their feet so they go in, drink, and move away instead of standing there. It is also more stable and does not move away as bad. I have one tire trough that is 10 years old and have not had to add any rock around it.

I put that driveway felt # 57 down on it then # 3 and looks like never had anything there.. I may bring some rip rap in before spring.

A friend takes old tires and cuts one side off just below the tread. Lays them in low spots (like you have Sky) and fills them with rock, then tops the whole thing with screenings. Rock does not migrate and screenings get wet and tight and as hard as concrete. Besides holding your rock in place it gets rid of those old tires!!

Kingfisher":2ggbxtpp said:
Would it be ok to pour a concrete pad at my water tank and feed bunk? It gets pretty sloppy there when it rains here. I don't know if standing in that muck is a bad thing for the cows but figure if we ever get back to a normal rain pattern something more stable might be cleaner. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance
Figure you would have plenty of or access to plenty of limestone......

you would be better off and cheaper putting a load of roack around your water trough.the rock is alot safer than a cow getting her front end knocked off the concrete pad.we only have 2 water troughs on concrete pads and when the cows drank from them their all 4 feet was on the concrete.

We use concrete hog slats. you can move them if you'd need to and the water doesn't sit on top of them

Latest posts