Pouring concrete question???

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I have actually poured a "little" concrete in my day, but only for projects that didn't really matter.......feed room floor, patio etc. never poured when it counted.

Here's the situation. The forms in the picture are perfectly level all the way around. Me and the kids dug all the grass/topsoil off the end near the barn. The end closest to the camera is basically a gravel drive. The side towards the barn will be 6" thick, the side closest to the camera will be closer to 9" thick. I had a load of rock dumped for some other projects. I plan to put some gravel under the concrete before I pour it. Do I build the end closest to the camera up to the bottom of the form, so the concrete will be the same thickness? Do I put the same amount of gravel all over, and have the concrete thicker on one side than the other? A gravity bin goes on this, and won't it right, and I especially don't want to do it over. I'm going have $700 in this when I'm done.

Having the concrete a little thicker on one end will not hurt a thing. For this application, make sure you have 2-3 inches of compacted stone and 3 inch min of concrete. Throw in a layer of reinforcing and that slab will be there forever.

CCCowman said:
Having the concrete a little thicker on one end will not hurt a thing. For this application, make sure you have 2-3 inches of compacted stone and 3 inch min of concrete. Throw in a layer of reinforcing and that slab will be there forever.

I'm going to put rebar in both directions sitting on chairs.

When I poured the pad for mine the man that I bought my bin from that sets them up said to pour at least a 6" pad.
The smaller bin I got I just bolted to rail road ties and usually leave the loader bucket on the end of the ties.

pricefarm said:
When I poured the pad for mine the man that I bought my bin from that sets them up said to pour at least a 6" pad.
The smaller bin I got I just bolted to rail road ties and usually leave the loader bucket on the end of the ties.

My bin has 6 legs. Wish it had 4, I'd have done crossties.

Bigfoot said:
I have actually poured a "little" concrete in my day, but only for projects that didn't really matter.......feed room floor, patio etc. never poured when it counted.

Here's the situation. The forms in the picture are perfectly level all the way around. Me and the kids dug all the grass/topsoil off the end near the barn. The end closest to the camera is basically a gravel drive. The side towards the barn will be 6" thick, the side closest to the camera will be closer to 9" thick. I had a load of rock dumped for some other projects. I plan to put some gravel under the concrete before I pour it. Do I build the end closest to the camera up to the bottom of the form, so the concrete will be the same thickness? Do I put the same amount of gravel all over, and have the concrete thicker on one side than the other? A gravity bin goes on this, and won't it right, and I especially don't want to do it over. I'm going have $700 in this when I'm done.
You are planning to stake the forms in place to hold the concrete. Need a stake every three of so foot and some close to each corner. Also near each stake drive another stake about 45 degrees to the ground and nail the top to the form. 6 inch forms as you show should work. The rebar placement sounds about right.Concrete in my area is $135 a yard for 3500 PSI concrete.

https://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Straight-Form-for-Concrete

Here is a process on line that I found. Do a search online for setting and pouring concrete forms several videos and suggestions.

hurleyjd said:
Bigfoot said:

You are planning to stake the forms in place to hold the concrete. Need a stake every three of so foot and some close to each corner. Also near each stake drive another stake about 45 degrees to the ground and nail the top to the form. 6 inch forms as you show should work. The rebar placement sounds about right.Concrete in my area is $135 a yard for 3500 PSI concrete.

Yes, I'm going to add several more stakes. I actually have several bent steel fence post, I was going to butcher them in to shorter pieces.

pricefarm said:

I really like that smaller bin. How much does it hold and where did you get it?

In my area you could get that done by a contractor for $5.00 a square foot with six inches of concrete and rebar. You could just sit and watch the work. You are looking at $360 for the ready mix truck and maybe another $50 for a small load. If I was doing it myself where I live.

sstterry said:
pricefarm said:

Poly dome company makes some nice plastic bins with a good guarantee and at a reasonable price. A 4.5 ton with 4 inch auger boot for around $2500 FOB. Really nice looking bins that would not rust out. They do have a website.

sstterry said:
pricefarm said:

It really depends on what you put in it but it is considered a 3 ton bin. I PM you the info on the man that I bought both bins from.

hurleyjd said:
In my area you could get that done by a contractor for $5.00 a square foot with six inches of concrete and rebar. You could just sit and watch the work. You are looking at $360 for the ready mix truck and maybe another $50 for a small load. If I was doing it myself where I live.

I only contacted one person about finishing it, and he was high. $600 labor, and I had to buy rebar, chairs, rock and boards. 4 yard minimum on concrete, and that'll be $475. 3 of us worked on what you see a about 3 hours. A couple more hours, and it'll be ready to pour.

pricefarm said:
sstterry said:
pricefarm said:

It really depends on what you put in it but it is considered a 3 ton bin. I PM you the info on the man that I bought both bins from.

I think a feed bin on a poured pad needs to be my next farm addition.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
pricefarm said:
sstterry said:

I think a feed bin on a poured pad needs to be my next farm addition.

I've been supporting two gravity wagons parked in my barns for years. I'm doing this to free my barn space up. Also 6 tons of feed was all I could handle before. Now I can do double that. You get a nice break when you step up to bulk delivery, and you get another nice break, when you can take 12 tons. I'll start looking for an auger when I finally get this thing set up, and use my gravity wagons to go get DDG.

Raise it up to 6" even in the inside to help ensure you have a bit for your chute. More importantly is the compaction mentioned compact, compact and compact a bit more! This should be done before, during and after adding gravel. Make sure gravel is of a size that can be compacted i.e. lime sand or 3/8" minus...

One time saver tip is to mark your forms before pouring for your expansion joints. Easier and faster to run wet unless you have the right equipment. A crete broom for broom finish is worth the small investment too.

Latest posts