Concrete fence posts

Help Support CattleToday:

************* said:
This guy is legit. Youtube is making people serious cash!

http://bit.ly/2JCjuc4

all that work and MAYBE you'll get 100k..... maybe 1% do.. :lol2:

Till-Hill said:
callmefence said:
Till-Hill said:
http://www.tjsfencingcompany.com/ fiberglass posts if I could afford them is what I would use!

I used them 20 year's ago. At a customers request of course. I wouldn't use them again for YouTube money
How come?
Mostly because they're fiber glass.
They break or actually kink and crush would be a better term. Also I've taken out plenty that was very degraded by sun exposure. Take a fiberglass handled shovel and leave it out in the sun for a few years. Sorry but fiberglass is not a good substitute for pipe. If one could afford it the galvinized pipe farmfence is using would be the best material IMO.

callmefence said:
Till-Hill said:
callmefence said:
I used them 20 year's ago. At a customers request of course. I wouldn't use them again for YouTube money
How come?
They break or actually kink and crush would be a better term. Also I've taken out plenty that was very degraded by sun exposure. Take a fiberglass handled shovel and leave it out in the sun for a few years. Sorry but fiberglass is not a good substitute for pipe. If one could afford it the galvinized pipe farmfence is using would be the best material IMO.

Fiberglass gates and post all been in freestall barn and in few outside lots since 2003..........

Till-Hill said:
callmefence said:
Till-Hill said:
How come?

Fiberglass gates and post all been in freestall barn and in few outside lots since 2003..........

I'm real glad they're working for you.

callmefence said:
Till-Hill said:
callmefence said:

TJ fencing just down road from me, I just remembered mom and dad's horse fence if probably pushing 25 years old. Tristate area here every feedlot/dairy set up uses them. We used steel on one barn. They are 6-8 years old and rusted off already. 15 year old TJ posts still going strong. Maybe it's different in our climate too but it's worth giving Travis a call.

All steel, fiberglass, wood, composite, and concrete posts are not created equal. There are good and bad with all of them. Cost is almost always a good indicator of the quality.

Till-Hill said:
callmefence said:
Till-Hill said:

TJ fencing just down road from me, I just remembered mom and dad's horse fence if probably pushing 25 years old. Tristate area here every feedlot/dairy set up uses them. We used steel on one barn. They are 6-8 years old and rusted off already. 15 year old TJ posts still going strong. Maybe it's different in our climate too but it's worth giving Travis a call.

Again I'm tickled for you. I've got unpainted pipe post out there close to 50 years old. I'm painted. The latch post on the gate by the shop is leaning at a 45 degree angle where I hung it with the trailer the other day. When I get to it I'll just get on the tractor and bend her back plum.
I know cause I've run that damn post over probably a dozen times in my lifetime. No big deal. She bends but never breaks.

I'm a believer in the steel posts after watching videos on the subject. I really like the corner post setup. We have woven wire fence on our farm that is approaching 60 years old, it's about gone, but 60 years is a long time.

************* said:
I'm a believer in the steel posts after watching videos on the subject. I really like the corner post setup. We have woven wire fence on our farm that is approaching 60 years old, it's about gone, but 60 years is a long time.

You know one of the hardest things to get people to understand is to not cap pipe post.
Well it's not to hard around here, because we've been using pipe along time and it's common practice to not cap. But we still get people who can't grasp it. And I'm sure in areas where it's not common it's even worse. I guess from now on instead of beating my head against the post.i can just show em stoney ridge ... maybe he's good for something...lol

callmefence said:
************* said:

You know one of the hardest things to get people to understand is to not cap pipe post.
Well it's not to hard around here, because we've been using pipe along time and it's common practice to not cap. But we still get people who can't grasp it. And I'm sure in areas where it's not common it's even worse. I guess from now on instead of beating my head against the post.i can just show em stoney ridge ... maybe he's good for something...lol

It made total sense to me. I would never cap them.

its nice to be fancy but if a single polywire loosely hung on step in posts doesn't hold them in.. they can hit the road.

cowrancher75 said:
its nice to be fancy but if a single polywire loosely hung on step in posts doesn't hold them in.. they can hit the road.

And when they do hit that proverbial road and someone dies after plowing into them we can talk about why having better perimeter fences is crucial.

cowrancher75 said:

That's actually my current setup, embarrassing as it may sound. The good thing about it though, whenever I don't like a configuration anymore, I just pull it up and move it around. I keep some very big animals in without any issues at all.

Interior of course, the perimeter has actual fence, but it needs a serious upgrade, FFS and Fence style upgrade!

TennesseeTuxedo said:
cowrancher75 said:

And when they do hit that proverbial road and someone dies after plowing into them we can talk about why having better perimeter fences is crucial.

I've seen Amish grazing cattle with one strand 2 feet from the right of way, actually grazing the State's property! It made me cringe, but I guess they are using the resources of Kentucky to the fullest!

my entire herd has been kept in this new place for the last 3 years under a single polywire.. most of the time not even energized..

good thing i've had them a while. lol

callmefence said:
************* said:

Hoping to get some new fencing done this fall with pipe. Why is capping the pipe a bad idea?

Latest posts