Wire Gauge Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I am reworking some hotwire and will be using 12 1/2 ht wire. I have a stretch of about 50 yards that I need to run insulated wire along the top of an existing woven wire fence. My question is, if I use 18 gauge insulated wire for the 50 yards and then reconnect to the 12 1/2 gauge, what impact, if any, will it have on the volts and joules on the fence?

In places I have 12 1/2 gauge HT wire, 14 gauge wire and 17 gauge wire and using one of these I have not noticed a change in what volts they carry. The farther away from the charger I get the voltage does goes down. Not much help, but I believe there will be very little if any drop off. I use to put regular wire in plastic pipe and it did not take long for the wire to rust into. If the insulation is not made around the wire it may not last long. A fault finder will show voltage and maybe give you your answer.

https://www.top5reviewed.com/digital-fault-finders/

sstterry said:
I am reworking some hotwire and will be using 12 1/2 ht wire. I have a stretch of about 50 yards that I need to run insulated wire along the top of an existing woven wire fence. My question is, if I use 18 gauge insulated wire for the 50 yards and then reconnect to the 12 1/2 gauge, what impact, if any, will it have on the volts and joules on the fence?

All depends on how far the run is beyond the 18 gauge. But just like a kink in a hose, you will notice a difference, particularly the further out you go. Best to buy 50 yards of double insulated 12 1/2 from Kencove and call it good.

Aaron said:
sstterry said:

All depends on how far the run is beyond the 18 gauge. But just like a kink in a hose, you will notice a difference, particularly the further out you go. Best to buy 50 yards of double insulated 12 1/2 from Kencove and call it good.
I researched insulated wire and it was a lot more expensive than what you recommended. I just ordered a roll from Kencove.
Problem solved. Thank you!

Aaron gave you some good advice.
As an aside,I read somewhere that,for polywire,the 9 strand carries voltage levels much farther than the six strand.At about 200 metres,voltage starts to drop with the six strand.I would assume the same principal would work for solid wire in that the larger the gauge, the farther before a voltage drop.

Latest posts