Best knot for HT barbed wire

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks. T posts are 15' apart and the stays are 7 1/2'.

It maybe overkill but I didn't want the cows sticking their heads through the fence and pushing on it.

Thanks. T posts are 15' apart and the stays are 7 1/2'.

It maybe overkill but I didn't want the cows sticking their heads through the fence and pushing on it.
The only thing that stops cows from pushing on fence is electricity. That's why all of mine are hotter than the hinges on the gates of hell.

Finished up the 1100' section of barbed wire fence today and thought I'd throw in a pic of the tail end.
Looks good but the cows will still push on it, especially the staves. In a year, the bottom of the staves will likely be bent out toward the outside of the fence wire.
Listen to Callmefence. He's built more good fence by the mile than the rest of us have ever even looked at.

You mean splice... LoL

Which ever one you like the best.
I personally prefer the western Union if I have to use a knot. You need to spread the wraps out more on HT.
I use gripples as well.
You'll see very few failure's if you only use it to splice. Failure's increase when you start using it to stretch.

Crimps are probably the best option for weekend warrior. Strong and simple.
Fwiw.... which ain't much...
Nrcs only allows western Union , reef,and crimps...no gripples
You're the expert. No one should argue.

It seems every splice I do is different. Different wire, different age wire, wood posts, steel posts etc. At times I find myself stretching out 50 or 100 foot versus a single splice and roll wrappling a weak section of wire. There's simply no way for me to provide a "right" answer.

You're the expert. No one should argue.

It seems every splice I do is different. Different wire, different age wire, wood posts, steel posts etc. At times I find myself stretching out 50 or 100 foot versus a single splice and roll wrappling a weak section of wire. There's simply no way for me to provide a "right" answer.
I consider that a good answer. Every repair is different. And then you got the paying customer repair, my place repair and the lease pasture repair....