concerns everyone

Help Support CattleToday:

bishopcattleco

Reaction score
there is a salebarn here in the area that i live in that says they just want solid black cattle. no white face no ear that r black.what do u all think of that.my first thought was who is this tysons.if cattle get to where the chicken buiseness is today i will quit the cattle buiseness.where is the fun in that.the only reason me and my son like cattle is the many different colors u never know what u r gonna get.does this make anyone else scared.i mean cattle r my second luv after my wife and kids.would this make u mad if u had herefords, chars, limi,brahman,shorthorn what r ur thoughts

I don't really care. The closest sale barn to me admits they like to see black cattle coming through. They bring in the buyers for black cattle and usually black cattle sell better there. I just go to a different sale barn if I'm not satisified with how they treat me.

bishopcattleco":1y4o3wnt said:
does this make anyone else scared.

Not one iota.

Sale barns around here work on commission. There's even dairy sales around.

Somebody else is going to make a few nickels out of this IMHO. They're not. I wouldn't be going there if there's no ear to buy. Save me time. I'll see what I am looking for elsewhere.

Sale barns are in business to make money. If they feel THEY (not you) can make more money by selling "all black" cattle then that is their right and choice. But that doesn't mean you have to play their game. Go elsewhere, as suggested above.

The Angus folks have done an excellent job of marketing. Just excellent. They have convinced a lot of consumers that Angus beef is some how better than XXX beef. If you note the requirements for Certified Angus Beef, the rules say it just has to be 51% Angus.

You sale barn is not even saying that, as I read your post. They are NOT saying it has to be Angus or even 51% Angus, they are saying they just have to be "Black". I assume this is because they can then be passed off as "Angus" beef even though it is not. You can have a lot of full black cattle of different breeds with little or even NO Angus in them. You can bet these will somehow be labeled as "Black Angus" beef by the time they get to the store.

Tyson does have a big program on now called "Star Ranch" Angus beef in the stores and labeled as "produce of the USA". They have evidently found people responding to this program. I see it even at my local grocery store - here is a photo:

IllinoisGroceryStoreMeatCounter1227.jpg

This is a photo from my phone I took when shopping with my wife recently. This is a smaller local grocery store in a medium size town in Illinois. Apologies for the quality of the photo. Frankly the beef looked great. From what I understand from the store staff, this program is working. The beef looks great and folks are buying more of it. The price is not much higher than the obviously lower quality stuff they are phasing out.

This is marketing! And I think that no matter what breed we raise, we should applaud anything that increases the consumers interest in beef of any kind. And especially beef raised in the US (apologies to Canadian, Australian and others...).

There has been a lot of cheap (to produce, not at the meat counter) lower quality beef sold at meat counters in recent years that frankly may turn folks off to beef in general.

I applaud this marketing move by Tyson and the Angus folks. I think it is up to us Hereford folks and others to step up to the plate and market our products as well.

In the end, I think your local sale barn is responding to consumer interest in purchasing quality beef that they know where it comes from. That is a good thing for beef producers in general. The fact the Angus folks have figured out a way to tie into this trend is a smart move on their part. The rest of us just need to step up our efforts to raise and MARKET quality beef, not just pounds... I see your sale barns efforts as a positive point for beef in general. jmho

Jim

i told the guy his buiseness probably would not last long.so how would u guys feel if all the feedlots said 51 percent angus or all black.because i feel like charlois make the best cross of any cattle there is

SRBeef":2ifr7tke said:
If you note the requirements for Certified Angus Beef, the rules say it just has to be 51% Angus.
Jim

Actually, under the phenotype specs an animal just has to be 51% black hided. No mention of breed. Either way, it still has to meet the carcass specs to become CAB.

VanC":1pi7xpt5 said:
SRBeef":1pi7xpt5 said:
If you note the requirements for Certified Angus Beef, the rules say it just has to be 51% Angus.
Jim

Actually, under the phenotype specs an animal just has to be 51% black hided. No mention of breed. Either way, it still has to meet the carcass specs to become CAB.

The first post says no WF. It also says no ear which rules out brangus who are 62.5%.

backhoeboogie":2wo5lho4 said:
VanC":2wo5lho4 said:
SRBeef":2wo5lho4 said:
Jim

The first post says no WF. It also says no ear which rules out brangus who are 62.5%.

I was talking about the CAB specs, not what one sale barn wants. We run into this once in awhile. Lots of people seem to think that CAB has to be 51% Angus. It doesn't. It just has to be 51% black. Obvious Brahman influence is not allowed, even if they're black, just like at that sale barn. Black WF is allowed in CAB, but not at that sale barn. Seems to me they are ruling out a lot of good cattle by not allowing black baldies, which sell as good or better than solid black in my area.

where u say black baldies r usually better then black i agree .i cannot stand this 51 percent angus when the calf could be all black limi and angus gets to put there stamp on something that has nothin to do with there breed .just because u showed me a picture of meat in a grocery that has angus written on it dont mean crap to me.the best meat i have ever ate came from a jersey.if i was dealing in the hereford cattle industry this would make me mad at least until they started stamping it herf/angus.or limousin in the store.why should anyone be proud of the angus association when they use limi or hereford that makes there product better and they get no publicity for it.

VanC":1j5a169p said:
I was talking about the CAB specs, not what one sale barn wants. We run into this once in awhile. Lots of people seem to think that CAB has to be 51% Angus. It doesn't. It just has to be 51% black. Obvious Brahman influence is not allowed, even if they're black, just like at that sale barn. Black WF is allowed in CAB, but not at that sale barn. Seems to me they are ruling out a lot of good cattle by not allowing black baldies, which sell as good or better than solid black in my area.

Since the black baldies could qualify as CAB or CHB, it seems strange they don't want them at that sale barn. :?

bishopcattleco":3rx6zyxp said:
where u say black baldies r usually better then black i agree .i cannot stand this 51 percent angus when the calf could be all black limi and angus gets to put there stamp on something that has nothin to do with there breed .just because u showed me a picture of meat in a grocery that has angus written on it dont mean crap to me.the best meat i have ever ate came from a jersey.if i was dealing in the hereford cattle industry this would make me mad at least until they started stamping it herf/angus.or limousin in the store.why should anyone be proud of the angus association when they use limi or hereford that makes there product better and they get no publicity for it.

As long as CAB belongs to the Angus Assn, they'll run it the way that most benefits Angus breeders. When other breed assns spend the time and money to create their own branded beef program, they can run it however THEY want.

i think all this goes back to angus taking genetics from other breeds to make there product better.when it couldnt get the big weights of the char limi simmental .thats when u started hearing about black charlois black simmentals.one of these days us so called free cattlmen will have a boss telling us what we can and cant do with our farms and cattle.pretty sad for the next generation .

bishopcattleco":1ws2zf7z said:
i think all this goes back to angus taking genetics from other breeds to make there product better.when it couldnt get the big weights of the char limi simmental .thats when u started hearing about black charlois black simmentals.one of these days us so called free cattlmen will have a boss telling us what we can and cant do with our farms and cattle.pretty sad for the next generation .

Some would say that the other breeds took Angus genetics to make THEIR product better, not the other way around, and there is probably some truth to that. Personally, I think they just wanted the black hide because that's where the money is right now. Otherwise, why not just switch to Angus?

I don't mean to sound cruel or unsympathetic, but complaining about it won't help. That's just the way it is, and it'll probably be that way for a good, long time. As I see it you have three choices: start raising black cattle, make the best of what you've got, or get out of the business. There are lots of people out there doing very well with non-black cattle. You mentioned Char X. I don't know where you're located or what you're doing now, but if you cross Char with Hereford or Red Angus you'll have a product that sells very well in most areas.

Look at what you just wrote bishopcc; :???:

Angus didn't try to turn White, Red, Yellow, ect., All these other breeds turned Black to try to capitalize on the real or perceived Angus advantages, premiums, and CAB advertising and marketing.

bishopcattleco":1k1jb7q7 said:

If you are that concerned about all the cattle turning black, build a better line of white or red ones. The gene pool is there to do it.

vanc and audiewyoming thanks for the advice .i will keep what i have because black angus will not make it where i live .i complain about it because i dont have the money to better another breed that is just fine the way it is. i complain because i have had people that raise angus cattle tell me the best meat they have eat was a longhorn. i complain because u dont have a clue whether u r selling an angus or sheepdog at the store.i complain because this is a message board .thanks alot

I read a lot of posters on here that are just so far gone, I know not to bother. bishop cc you fit that category to a T but your just too ripe for the pickin.

You say black cattle won't make it where you live. Yet your local sale barn caters to the better black cattle and NO ONE wants to bid on what you have to sell?

I'm not buying it either!

bishopcattleco":1dsj1n1z said:
vanc and audiewyoming thanks for the advice .i will keep what i have because black angus will not make it where i live .i complain about it because i dont have the money to better another breed that is just fine the way it is. i complain because i have had people that raise angus cattle tell me the best meat they have eat was a longhorn. i complain because u dont have a clue whether u r selling an angus or sheepdog at the store.i complain because this is a message board .thanks alot

audie wyoming where did i say no one would bid on my product.the thing is they the people wanting all black r kicking thereselves in the ass because my char steers will outweigh the blacks. they might not bring as much per pound but will weigh out more dollars.i am just fine with my product . without the creep feed cost.that man lost my cattle .he probably wont last long because other people like myself see the benifits of other cattle besides solid black that r not angus meat

TO ALL-

In evaluating the efficacy and effectiveness of an "iNFORMATION" thread on a Breeds Board Forum, how would you rate this thread on a scale of 1 - 10?
Anger and lack of awareness is an impenetrable barrier to the acquisition of information and knowledge.
They are always among us.

DOC HARRIS

Sorry DOC,

My participation here was strictly for entertainment purposes. No educational intent is expressed or implied.

My Entertainment. :banana:
@

Latest posts