Concern over fresh castration

Help Support CattleToday:

mitch2

Reaction score
Had the bull calves cut yesterday afternoon. The very 1st cut was the largest of the bunch, as the vet worked the others, he was a tad concerned that he was leaking a little blood, but by the time we were done an hour later, he said no concern as it had stopped.

Went out this morning to see if all were doing well. This one I mentioned above, seems to be more swollen than the rest, his nut sac and what is hanging out of it I would say is about the size of an orange. I took a pic and went down to the vet so he could look at. He does not seem concerned as long as the bleeding has subsided. Which he said if it hadn't the calf would be dead by now. He said some have more fatty tissue, some swell more than others. He said it is subjective to watch the calf and see if he were to feeling "ill". He did say I could give him a shot of vitamin K (can sometimes help with the bleeding), and to give antibiotics, and regive antibiotics in 48 hours.

My question: Should I give him a bit more time and see how he does, he is still on his feet and getting around. I was thinking the stress of getting him in the corral and into the chute again to give him the shots would be more stress on him than the benefit of antibiotics.

Please give me some input here "o wise ones" ;-)

Thanks

Michele

I would just take a wait and see approach. As long as he is eating, and up and around..he will be fine. Dont go spending more money on him if your vet says he will probably be ok.

I would definitely give him a strong dose of a long acting pen. Better to be safe than sorry. I am surprised your vet didn't want to do that right away when the calf had signs of problems early on.

We keep it simple (KISS) and band + tetanus shot. Never any problem, clean and easy, no worries about infection, flies, worms, etc. Nuts drop off in 2 to 3 weeks. No Vet, knives, blood, mess...priceless!

Running Arrow Bill":3akq8rin said:
We keep it simple (KISS) and band + tetanus shot. Never any problem, clean and easy, no worries about infection, flies, worms, etc. Nuts drop off in 2 to 3 weeks. No Vet, knives, blood, mess...priceless!

That's how I'm doing it this year. Just bought a bander. I understand the tetanus is key or you'll have a dead bull anyway.

In the meantime, I wouldn't run him through the chute again unless you can be extremely careful. The main issue is the bleeding and if he's not bleeding you don't want to get him bleeding. If he starts slowing down or not eating, then the antibiotic.

If he's not bleeding, go on a vacation for a week maybe two and come back and the elves will have fixed him while you are gone. Works well for me.

Well, I guess I'm going to side with hillsdown on this one . I never castrate a bull by any means without giving a shot of pen before leaving the chute . I try to never let anything hang down below the cut off sac, anything hanging out is just a wick for infection . I always spray with iodine .I always keep my scalpel in alcohol between bulls .I've knife cut thousands of bulls and when I've done all the things that I've mentioned I don't have any trouble, but when I've strayed from any of those things I start to have some trouble .

My advice is, pen is cheap, and those infections can be difficult to clear up . I would treat him with pen, at least 10ml per 100 .JMHO

Larry

I'd ask the local vet if tetanus shots were recommended in the case of banding. The local vet here told me several years ago that it was not nessesary and she hasn't been wrong yet. I've had years of problem free banding without giving tetanus shots. Or pennecillen shots. Tetanus may be more prevalent in other areas so the local vet should be consulted because they will know.

ga. prime":2d4ne5rq said:
the local vet should be consulted because they will know.

Obviously there is only confidence enough in the vet to have him cut them but not enough to listen to him about the supposed problem

Checked on the calf this morning, and he seems to have perked up a bit. He had his head buried in the hay ring.

Michele

mitch2":3j7e8bop said:
Checked on the calf this morning, and he seems to have perked up a bit. He had his head buried in the hay ring.

Michele

What you saw the other day was probably just a loss of dignity.

baxter78":2kgn9s5n said:
Limomike":2kgn9s5n said:
I would just take a wait and see approach. As long as he is eating, and up and around..he will be fine. Dont go spending more money on him if your vet says he will probably be ok.

Good advice. That is just about what I would have posted.

Yep that is always what you say!!

That is what we do too. Also when we band we always make sure to do them when the moon is going down the bulls nuts don't swell at all. - It's how my grandfather used to do them & seems to work.

Loch Valley Fold":2ltl2jx4 said:
That is what we do too. Also when we band we always make sure to do them when the moon is going down the bulls nuts don't swell at all. - It's how my grandfather used to do them & seems to work.

We like to wait until the sky is blood red and then band , makes them fall off quicker.. ;-)

Latest posts