Over Conditioned

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Dave - I think you misunderstood BH - he was saying his cattle ARE fertile so he is able to use expensive semen.
I just questioned why a PB breeder would consider $40 as being expensive semen - especially when it's guaranteed 40M sperm count. Is that super high for Angus semen? How much is the certificate? We (Simmental) don't have certificates. You buy semen and everything is eligible to register.

Thank you for clarifying Jeanne.

$40 is not expensive for semen, especially when it's very high quality. You get what you pay for.

Thus far the highest offer I have been presented with on the SAV America semen is $1000 for a straw. I would not dare sell even one of them, as each one will be used, but considering that, $40 is nothing. Recently an ample of Rito 707 of Ideal sold for a price that makes $1000 a straw look cheap. It's all about supply and demand. Basic economics.

Consider stud fees for top Thoroughbreds, then $40 looks like a tip. Just some perspective for Dave.

The certificates are usually $40-50 for most of the sires I use.

Also anyone who has used sexed semen knows that you had better have fertile gals or it's a complete waste of time and money. Raindance is $75 a straw and Black Magic is $80.

************* said:
Dave - I think you misunderstood BH - he was saying his cattle ARE fertile so he is able to use expensive semen.
I just questioned why a PB breeder would consider $40 as being expensive semen - especially when it's guaranteed 40M sperm count. Is that super high for Angus semen? How much is the certificate? We (Simmental) don't have certificates. You buy semen and everything is eligible to register.

$40 is not expensive for semen, especially when it's very high quality. You get what you pay for.

Thus far the highest offer I have been presented with on the SAV America semen is $1000 for a straw. I would not dare sell even one of them, as each one will be used, but considering that, $40 is nothing. Recently an ample of Rito 707 of Ideal sold for a price that makes $1000 a straw look cheap. It's all about supply and demand. Basic economics.

Consider stud fees for top Thoroughbreds, then $40 looks like a tip. Just some perspective for Dave.

Also anyone who has used sexed semen knows that you had better have fertile gals or it's a complete waste of time and money. Raindance is $75 a straw and Black Magic is $80.

I thought AI conception rates using sexed semen was only 10% less than using conventional semen? I'm almost sure that a 10% less conception rate is the number for dairies.

True Grit Farms said:
************* said:

I thought AI conception rates using sexed semen was only 10% less than using conventional semen? I'm almost sure that a 10% less conception rate is the number for dairies.

You are using half the amount of semen in the sexed straw, and if it's not thawed properly (because it is more effective when thawed differently than convention), you reduce your chances even further.

One more thing to consider, with sexed you had better have a pretty good idea where the cow/heifer is in her heat cycle because too soon and chances drop, too late chances drop. They need to be breed in the tail end of the heat for maximum effect, usually about 14-16 hours in.

If you have a female that has fertility issues, this whole process will be a frustrating one at best.

10% is 10% no matter how many excuses you make. I've never bred any dairy cows using sexed semen, but my partner has bred thousands using sexed semen. His conception rates are not nearly as good as what most on CT achieve, but it's still only 10% less for sexed semen.

True Grit Farms said:
10% is 10% no matter how many excuses you make. I've never bred any dairy cows using sexed semen, but my partner has bred thousands using sexed semen. His conception rates are not nearly as good as what most on CT achieve, but it's still only 10% less for sexed semen.

Ok, I can only speak from experience. To all those that want to give sexed semen a try, knock yourself out. There is only one way to learn.

I used an $80 straw of sexed Black Magic the last month and the cow ended up pregnant as per a Biopryn test.

One thing is for sure, sexed semen makes things more interesting.

I generally spend $50-$100/straw, but have spent as much as $200/straw. I sold 1 unit of semen for $700 :banana:

Wouldn't that $700 straw been worth more if the animal was on the ground?

With IVF that could have been multiple animals.

Ron,

Your post is getting a LOT of attention.

I decided to go have a talk with one of my bulls today. I told him that it is terrible to stuff his face with clover all day long, at least according to CT members

I also told him he was fat, then I said "I'm sorry"

He paid me no attention. LOL!

http://bit.ly/2WjoZ7y

************* said:
I generally spend $50-$100/straw, but have spent as much as $200/straw. I sold 1 unit of semen for $700 :banana:

Wouldn't that $700 straw been worth more if the animal was on the ground?

With IVF that could have been multiple animals.
No - I still had more semen. It was a one time, in the right place at the right time. Buyer "needed" 1 unit for flushing, bull died. He offered, I jumped on chance. Now semen on him is $50