Castration question

Help Support CattleToday:

We do ours at weaning, so 600 plus pounds. We have only had one that bled excessive, and we just tied some umbilical tape around it to stop the bleeding, and he was fine. We soak the Newberry knife in nolvasan solution between calves.

I castrate my surplus bull calves at about 250-300kg (550-660lbs). I always remove the sheath first and cut it off high before pulling out the blood vessels and cord. I would imagine it would be a massive pull at that age if you didn't take the sheath off. If you used the emascultors I would recommend removing the sheath as well to get a more direct crush on the blood vessels.

Ken

Jeanne, I still cut them just like your husband did. I cut calves up to 700 lb. Biggest difference is I don't have anyone to tail them so I use an Immobilizer to keep them still.

Hi Kenny, knowing you can leave the sheath on, you still continue to take it off? And when you take it "off" the testicle, do you actually leave it "in" the calf? Seems to me, he sliced carefully from top to bottom of the testicle, popped the testicle out the side, then slid the sheath UP out of the way, and left it behind after pulling the testicle out??? Is that right? And if you can just take it all out, why bother??

Latest posts