Computer Suggestion

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
I'd like to buy a laptop computer for someone just starting college for Chrismas. I use a Sony VAIO that I really like, but it's a couple of years old now.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dell is hard to beat unless you have a problem. But if you speak Pakistani that isn;t a problem either.

Mine is a Gateway and I really like it so far.The LCD is even better on mine than my husbands IBM and the price difference is a few thousand.I paid around $650 for mine.

You could probably buy a refurbished one that is perfectly good for under 300$'s

hillsdown":mq9n7yuk said:
Mine is a Gateway and I really like it so far.The LCD is even better on mine than my husbands IBM and the price difference is a few thousand.I paid around $650 for mine.

You could probably buy a refurbished one that is perfectly good for under 300$'s

I have had good luck with Gateway also.

rattler

whatever you get make sure its compatible with as many programs as possible. i stick with dell because its so versatile. i have considered a mac because there arent many virus threats but i havent gained enough confidence in them yet

Whatever you do don't get Vista.My daughter has a gateway with XP loaded in it and it has been good.

Larry

Miss Daisy":1ss4auzh said:
larryshoat":1ss4auzh said:
Whatever you do don't get Vista.My daughter has a gateway with XP loaded in it and it has been good.

Larry

whats wrong with vista?

Its bloated garbage that will require a bunch of upgrades. Stick with XP for at least a year more till all the bugs get worked out. I have some really good links for do it your self computer cleaning and safety. I should dig that stuff out an post it for everybody. :compute:

A agree with the Vista statement, too many bugs yet. We just bought 2 Dell desk tops for our business with XP on them. Gateway is good also but I think Dell has better support. If it was me I would go with Dell and order it with XP (although you may be only able to get XP pro rather than XP home). Dell is reasonable priced.

Alan

I don;t know about the other companys but you can look at the dell site and check out their refurbished equipment. They come iwth all of the software loaded as described with th appropriate CDs and license. They have a 1 year wartranty and cost about 1/2 or less then an equivellent system.

What ever you buy get the latest, fastest technology available. This stuff turns over every 6 months to a year so buy the latest and you will be up to date for six months or so.

Dell is not too bad. Bought one for my Daughter a couple of years ago. Been dropped from the table onto ceramic tile twice and is still functions perfectly.

I've had good luck with Dell. Vista has to many bugs, so get XP and upgrade when vista becomes stable,

So the concensus that I am reading here is that the refurbished models are pretty reliable and that Vista is crap?

I have XP on our system at work and get along very well with it but I have been shopping for a cheap laptop for personal use and have shied away from the refurbished stuff.

I notice that all replies centered around gateway and dell.
What about toshiba and acer and sony and leveno etc?

pdfangus":13braj29 said:
So the concensus that I am reading here is that the refurbished models are pretty reliable and that Vista is crap?

I have XP on our system at work and get along very well with it but I have been shopping for a cheap laptop for personal use and have shied away from the refurbished stuff.

Toshiba uses their own little variations/tweaks of windows. Thei firmware is pretty restrictive in what you cna install as upgrades. Dell has their firmware but at least you can get around it and change/upgrade without having to go back to them to do it.
I haven;t worked with Gateway in a few years but their firmware was the same way. Tried to install a bigger disk and all the system would ever recognize was the capacity of the smaller one.

dun":1crsaqm4 said:
pdfangus":1crsaqm4 said:

Toshiba uses their own little variations/tweaks of windows. Thei firmware is pretty restrictive in what you cna install as upgrades. Dell has their firmware but at least you can get around it and change/upgrade without having to go back to them to do it.
I haven;t worked with Gateway in a few years but their firmware was the same way. Tried to install a bigger disk and all the system would ever recognize was the capacity of the smaller one.

Just to add to what dun said, Dell and Gateway (to me) seem to be high quality computers and better cost than Sony or Toshiba.

My biggest problem with Vista is that most of my software I use for our buisness would not work with Vista, I'm sure other applications would not work also. Although I would think some of the major micro soft software would (???). As with any new operating system, Vista needs time to get the bugs out. XP will still be around and strong for a few years.

Alan

So is Vista made by HP?My wife just told me she ordered a laptop for Christmas.Think she said HP with Windows Vista.Our daughter's fiancee says the same thing,it is crap.Says Colorado
State University use the Vista.He can configure it to work.Be better to get a Windows XP.Think we better send it back.

Vista is the latest operating system.
Vista is made by microsoft.
XP is also made by microsoft.
The operating system is usually preinstalled on the computer but not always.

Brahma Bull":1nsbabwz said:
So is Vista made by HP?My wife just told me she ordered a laptop for Christmas.Think she said HP with Windows Vista.Our daughter's fiancee says the same thing,it is crap.Says Colorado
State University use the Vista.He can configure it to work.Be better to get a Windows XP.Think we better send it back.

Vista has bugs, just like XP did when it came. They will no doubt have downloadable "fixes" in the near future. My biggest problem with Vista is my business software won't work with it and I don't need to fight the bugs. As of a couple of months ago you could still get Dell computers with XP Pro.

Alan

Thanks Angus and Alan.Now I know.Oh well in a few months or by this time next year it will be something new again.Saddles with cell phone and GPS holders,deer stands with internet access.Wonder how many hunters checking their email or doing tx message.I know the new JD tractors w/cab have everything.
I am dragging my heals as much as I can.

Latest posts