Commercial Cows as Show Calf Producers???

Help Support CattleToday:

JR Cattle Co.

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on using commercial cows as show steer and heifer producers? I have heard both sides and am interested in your comments!

Some of the best (show steer) sires out there are out of commercial cows. I know many who are raising show steers out of commercial cows. But it really depends on the cow. Not wether she has papers. I do not advocate showing AOB heifers however. My bro in law has a crossbred sim-angus cow. every year that she produces a bull calf, he becomes someones competitive show steer.

Any GOOD cow, mated to the right bull, can produce a nice calf. As to going and buying a bunch of commercial cows at your local sale barn and trying to get show calves....not advisable

We run a mainly crossbred cow herd. Most of them were heifers my son showed as commercial heifers, and he did quite well. We put a Maine bull on them and are getting some real nice Mainetainier heifers that he is going to show also, so with the right bull a commercial cow can produce a good calf. Sometimes those papers don't cut it.

As stated, papers don't make the cow. In order to produce really competitive calves, the cow & the bull need to be superior stock - phenotypically. And then, they need the BEST care from birth on up. Meaning, mom must MILK well & be on great pasture with proper herd health & minerals.

Thats all we show. We go out and pick the best set of heifers and take them home and break them and see which ones turn out best after 2 months. When I showed Tulsa in October there were 27(i think) classes of Commercial Heifers and they were all just as good or better than the registered breed classes. Papers dont change DNA makeup.

I have seen super good cows run through the sale that i think could throw some awsome calves. The kicker on goin for a good deal at the salebarn is having to worry about why that cow is at the sale? Seller needs money :D or that cow was culled for a productivity reason :x , ect.

If you want to see how wonderful commercial cows can nbe in Crossbreeding, check out Sullivan Ranch. They have some program.

Latest posts