Commercial Brangus

Help Support CattleToday:

tripleS

Reaction score
We are starting another herd at a new farm next spring. Right now just getting pastures drilled and fences started. We run commercial angus but I am interested in brangus i think. Don't have any experience in them but have been told that the brahman side of the cross makes the breed more hardy (need less maintenence) Buyers aroung here don't like a lot of ear but if they discount it too hard I could just cross them with angus bulls. I love the looks of them but don't know about their bad and good traits (temperment) They should be more heat tolerate but it doesn't get too hot or cold here in NC. really cold here is 25 and really hot is 95. Anyone got any information on them?

tripleS":1tqqh0b5 said:
Buyers aroung here don't like a lot of ear but if they discount it too hard I could just cross them with angus bulls. I love the looks of them but don't know about their bad and good traits (temperment) They should be more heat tolerate but it doesn't get too hot or cold here in NC. really cold here is 25 and really hot is 95. Anyone got any information on them?

Breed the Brangus cows to Angus bulls. You will have the heat tolerence of the brangus and shouldn't be discounted for the ear.These Angus Plus type cattle are becoming more popular all the time and any top quality hfrs that you want to sell shoulld command a premium.

brangus are great cattle. they are a lot tougher than angus. university of missouri studied effects of heat on english & brahma crosses, english were heat stressed at anything over 70* , brahma crosses weren't affected til 105*. little pinkeye, bugs & ticks don't bother as much. disposition is as good or better than angus. calf vigor is higher than angus. liike you say you can cross more angus in at anytime

Caustic Burno":1ca3mpkf said:
Brangus come in two forms hotter than a two dollar pistol or dog gentle

heheh.. :lol:

Two colors too! Don't forget the reds!

Well sounds like most of you like and even favor brangus over angus. We are still a ways away from making a decision but do any of you know a producer that sells good quality commercial brangus (enough to fill a load). I might have to get my name on a waiting list for replacement heifers if they are in high demand next spring.

Appreciate your help, thanks

OH yea it would be nice if they were in the eastern half of the U.S. Don't mind trucking them in but California, New Mexico is a little far.

tripleS":hkmky8y1 said:
OH yea it would be nice if they were in the eastern half of the U.S. Don't mind trucking them in but California, New Mexico is a little far.
Eastern 1/2 of US takes in a pretty good sized chunk of real estate. A more general location probaly would help to get you some replies.

If you're in an area that doesn't like ear, your Brangus will suffer at sale time if you use conventional sales routes. Have you checked your marketing area to insure that there is a demand for eared cattle?

dun

i'm in North Carolina and know that truckloads of replacement hiefers are hard to find around here. Not many cattle farms like you westerners have. 200 head is a big herd around here. Couple people have 600-1000 head but they are few and far between. Most of those guys raise pretty mixed herds (whatever they can buy cheap and raise a calf off of). Not that that's a bad thing, they are making money, but just not what I want to do. So to make a long story short, I would be willing to ship cattle a pretty good distance. I know one man around here used to buy loads of Leachman bulls from Montana and sale them to around here so I know they can be shiped that far without to much problem.

Dun,
you mention they would be dicounted at sale time and thats right. At the auction barn they discount them pretty hard. If I breed to Angus bulls though, I should have calves with not too much ear shouldn't I? What I'm trying to figure out is if the discount will be made up buy easier calving and a more hardy and efficient cow herd?

Another question and then I promise to quit asking. Ya'll use terms like 3/4 ear and 1/4 ear. I don't understand this. Would a brangus be 1/2 ear and brangusXangus be 1/4 ear?

Thanks for all you who help me out. This is how a young and determined cattle beginner has to learn.

Of the really big reputation Brangus ranches, Cow Creek is probably closest to you. You may want to look at their site (link provided by "txag" in an earlier post). I seem to recall that CCR has an annual sale where, in addition to their own stock, they allow people that have calves sired by CCR bulls to sell at that same sale. If so, that might be a chance for you to perhaps pick up some good commercial Brangus heifers in quantity and at reasonable prices.

tripleS":22me961i said:
Dun,
you mention they would be dicounted at sale time and thats right. At the auction barn they discount them pretty hard. If I breed to Angus bulls though, I should have calves with not too much ear shouldn't I? What I'm trying to figure out is if the discount will be made up buy easier calving and a more hardy and efficient cow herd?

I've seen registered (claimed) Brangus, with hardly any ear and others with a pretty significant amount. I don'r understand it, but it seems to happen. Buyers, if they can claim to detect ear will discount them if you're in an area that does discount ear. I don;t see what Brangus or any Brahman influence would really buy you in your area, but you gotta like what you raise. If it's Brangus or llamas, go for it.

dun

Dun most people say around here say there is no need for brahman influence here but I'm not sure. Last summer is when I started thinking about it. It doesn't get extremely hot around here but around 75 degrees my angus cows head for the woods and around 80 degrees I am lucky if they ever get their bellys out of the ditch. On the same day, I can go about 5 miles down the road to Double E Farms, a big Santa Gert. Breeder, (brahman influence) and cows and calves are directly in the sun eating as hard as they can go on tough dry grass. Just makes me wonder if a milder climate than texas can benifit from them.

Who knows i might be wrong, but if I am at least they will look good in the pasture. I mean none of is are in this to make money, right? jk

There was some discssion about the Brahman digestive system a while back and the need for more frequent filling.
Just because something is out in the sun, that doesn't mean that there is a real advantage for them to be there rather in in the shade. If the animals graze at night and ruminate during the day in the shade, that seems to me to also be an advantage for the shade lovers. Weaning weights and reproductive efficiency is where the proof of the pudding is. I can'tr directly compare our weaning weights with any of the Brahman influence folks, the nearest is a Gert breeder that claves all year long, runs several bulls and doesn't manage his pasture. The nearest Brangus breeders are in areas with slightly differtn climates, i.e. generally wetter. But when he and I send our calves to the backgrounder, they're right in the same general weight range as ours. The nighbor across the road that raised Brangus for years has sold out and has leased the pasture to the dairy. There are a couple of other Brangus breeders around but I don;t know them personally. But you gotta raise what you like. I like red and white cattle preferably with bald faces. They make money, do well under our managment and I like the look of them in the pasture. If you can do the same, or at least meet your goals, and raise longhorns, markys, llamas, chickens, or wahtever, that's what you need to raise.

dun

dun, i've had english cows all my life & when i moved out here from northern pa the heat & fescue actually killed some of my cows. go out & watch your english breeds when it gets hot & humid, you'll see some of them breathe so shallow they can hardly get their wind, let alone eat & digest much of anything. i started crossing santa-gertrudis & brangus & now when the cows are in the pond the calves keep right on eating. they told me i would get discount prices here too, but when i sold them i got right close to the top of the market & i always have more weight & more live calves now. i talked to two retired beef guys who said they had raised santa-gertrudis & said they always got discounted on price but still always had a bigger check b/c of the weight diffeerence. to each their own & everyone claims their breed is best

Latest posts