College is coming to me, so a tradition lives on

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
I graduated from Black Hawk East College in 2002 with an associate in Ag Business. I did two internships while in college the second one turned into a full time Herdsmen position that I currently still, have along with farming on my own.

I hated high school, but made the Dean 's list in college. Animal Science was hands down my favorite freshmen class. Thursdays were lab days and we got to travel to different producers places and get hands on experience.
In 2005 I decided it was time for me to start giving back to this would renowned little collage. In November of '05 we did our first calf processing lab. It was a huge success and has snow balled from there.
Tomorrow starts the fifteenth year of hosting labs. We will be learning how to BCS, age by teeth, draw blood ( for BioPryn), vaccinate, and worm & pour. They'll be back in November to process calves. The sophomore Beef Sci class will return in February to freeze brand and pelvic measure replacement heifers, and we provide finished strs for there live market eval class were they get to learn how to calculate grade & yield, ribeye area. Then the cattle go to Tyson, and carcass data is collected. Then the students get to compare their estimated live data with the actual data. Pretty cool!

Black Hawk East College is such a great opportunity for young people. They draw students from as close as 1 mile and from as far away as Hawaii and Brazil. There equine and live stock programs are bar none. Not to mention their new state of the art Vet Tec building and program.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Is this the place?

https://www.bhc.edu/

Yes, East campus is were all the Ag classes are. If you face book check out the Black Hawk College East Campus page.

kenny thomas said:
A young man from here started school there in early August. He really likes it.

I didn't get a chance to visit with your young man, but one of the professors pointed out the young man from the SW tip of Virginia. He ran the headgate all afternoon, and did a great job.

That's really good of you, SBMF. Every kid should leave home and get an education of some kind, and things like your farm visit are what keep them interested in being there.

SBMF 2015 said:
kenny thomas said:
A young man from here started school there in early August. He really likes it.

I didn't get a chance to visit with your young man, but one of the professors pointed out the young man from the SW tip of Virginia. He ran the headgate all afternoon, and did a great job.
He definitely isn't new at it. I will tell him next time to ask if you had heard of me. Lol

What an awesome day! The students are divided into morning and afternoon labs. They worked 94 cows total. Some of the students had never been around cattle until they came to Black Hawk. I don't know how many different students tried to draw blood, but I can tell you they were all young women. The guys are just at that age; they would rather he-man the cows in the back than be shown up by the ladies. There were students from sixteen different states.

Latest posts