Lives lost

Help Support CattleToday:

Son spent the summer in Springfield playing in a wood bat college baseball ⚾️ league in 2003 . Beautiful farming area on both sides of the interstate. I could se where this could happen under the right conditions. Prayers for all involved. 🙏

Yeah, very bad. We have had nasty wind here the last couple days. Everyone is in full swing planting. Lots of big farms and big equipment in that area, stir a lot of dust.
Springfield is two hours south of me.
It will be interesting to see what if any type of lawsuits come out of this.
Probably fifteen years ago a local drainage tiler accidentally caught a corn field on fire. The smoke blocked interstate 74. There was a car accident and someone was killed. Their family sued the tile guy and the farmer that owned the field.

My wife drove through a similar situation today a couple times. I told her that doesn't happen with no till.

And of course, it never occurred to anyone that it might be a good idea to slow down...
Nah, let's just blame it on the farmers..

Leyla Arsan, of Chicago, told The New York Times that she had been driving along I-55 on Monday when she began to see dust and smoke, but cars didn't appear to be slowing down. "Trucks were fishtailing left and right," she noted. Arsan said she was forced to turn around to avoid the crash site.

Of course slowing down appropriate to conditions is ALWAYS critically (literally) important. But let's not be guilty of "blaming somebody else rather than taking responsibility for our own actions" ourselves. We don't need to be guilty of creating another Dust Bowl.

Cover crops and no-till would put an end to this disaster on all counts.
582425CA-F251-4C58-9D5D-CD9CB5EDBC89.jpeg
Planting into 18" cereal rye today. Let's hope it comes up.

So sad to think of all those gone that a little patience would have saved. Very sad event.

I'd bet that's what BFE did by the look of the rye. I generally planted "green", and then terminated by various means afterward, when I was doing row crops. Have seeded everything down now, and am running cattle on the majority of it year round (feeding hay by unrolling in winter after the stockpiled feed is gone). BTW, any rye here is only about 2" tall right now, but it HAS greened up considerably just this past day now. It's coming, but very slowly! I don't remember rye ever being this slow... neighbor puts it in after canning crops (late September), and even his is just getting good and green.

Last edited:
I did try that, owned a roller crimper for a couple seasons, wasn't very happy with it though, so I sold it and actually made a couple bucks on it. Wasn't consistent enough, IMO. I've been hearing that making two passes over helps with that... I went to "mowing" the rye to terminate instead, using a disc mower. Not the perfect solution either, but it definitely works consistently. Would be great if you had a wide cutterbar mounted on a unit that would fit the rows. I liked cutting it quite high (rye would be headed out just like how you need it for roller-crimping), about 10" above the ground... just over the tops of the beans in there... I did the same with corn, but the rye soaks up alot of N, and it's a slow release as it deteriorates. Not a problem necessarily, just need to be aware and accommodate accordingly. I think it's "best", if you can accomplish it, to put it in a heavy mat right on the ground... but I was mowing with 8" tall beans and even taller corn in there, so that wasn't an option.

Last edited:

Latest posts