Collection worthy?

Help Support CattleToday:

dbirdsong

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on this bull? We are considering having him collected.

What have you determined the benefits are to warrant collecting your bull? Let's assume he is an outstanding bull. Does he bring something into your herd that you cannot get from one of the mainstream semen Coops?

The reservations I have to rolling my own is this: the effort to AI is significant. I want to use bulls that not only have valuable traits but that have SALEABILITY. We often hear comments about those looking for the "bull of the month". The buyers of bulls and heifers that I speak to in the Simmental breed want a bull with "name recognition". Not a new bull that just got listed in the catalog. For example, Simmental bulls that have been around a while like Cowboy Cut, Upgrade, Grandmaster, and recently Optimizer are the bulls people look for.

What I see happen with folks who collect their own bull is that the straws end up in the garbage. Unless you are just breeding for terminal, the homemade stuff just don't have much appeal.

Each to his own. He is already using the bull, so he is going to have that bulls calves to sell already. Why would he use him if he couldn't sell the calves in the first place? Not everyone sells to other breeders. The best bulls in any breed never got collected or was in any breed mag ads. They worked for a living in some cowmans pastures that never thought about semen sales.

Going to disagree somewhat. We collected ours because it was the most cost effective way to AI hundreds of cattle. This bull had no pedigree conflict with our herd and could bring valuable carcass merit to the calf. A Schaff bull could not out perform ours, EPD wise. In fact, he's one of five in the Angus Association with all his traits in the top 25% of the breed.

Speaking strictly terminal. We did breed ours to a few PB to get some future progeny data back on him. But I consider him a cattlemens dream.

So the real question would be, what your intent is and what you're hoping to accomplish?

I would think it's a worthy endeavor if this Bull has the maternal influence you want in your herd. We have a cow that is getting older and believe she is the ideal cow for our environment and phenotype. I already sold her son, while keeping half interest to use him as a cover bull for the next two years. If I had an amazing son out of her, I would definitely consider collecting that son, so we could continue to input that maternal line into our herd.

The best bulls in any breed never got collected or was in any breed mag ads. They worked for a living in some cowmans pastures that never thought about semen sales.
Sadly I think that you are correct. EXT was the exception that got discovered after selling as and working as a commercial bull.

We really like the bull and his calves. He is only a three year old so we don't have any daughters in production yet. His oldest daughters are being bred now. If they turn out like we hope, he will probably be collected. We don't have many cows so he would be collected for later use.

I have family that does it every couple years on the commercial side. They buy a high end bull and Collect him and ai all of there commecial cows to him for a few years. Saves him 5-6k a year in semen

NEFarmwife said:
Going to disagree somewhat. We collected ours because it was the most cost effective way to AI hundreds of cattle. This bull had no pedigree conflict with our herd and could bring valuable carcass merit to the calf. A Schaff bull could not out perform ours, EPD wise. In fact, he's one of five in the Angus Association with all his traits in the top 25% of the breed.

Speaking strictly terminal. We did breed ours to a few PB to get some future progeny data back on him. But I consider him a cattlemens dream.

So the real question would be, what your intent is and what you're hoping to accomplish?
Wow!!! Better than Schaff!! $50,000.00 for the bull send me his reg number. If you think I am joking send me the reg number.

NEFarmwife said:

Saving money on semen? Are you kidding me? It's pocket change in the big picture. Definition of a piker.

I would choose a Schaff bull any day of the week over "home cookin"

Charles Herbster has the dream team as far as I'm concerned. I will stick with him versus bargain bulls.

You aren't playing the long game picking up pennies.

I'm sure a Hyundai will get you from point A to B, but I prefer a Rolls over a Hyundai.

************* said:
NEFarmwife said:

Saving money on semen? Are you kidding me? It's pocket change in the big picture. Definition of a piker.

Charles Herbster has the dream team as far as I'm concerned. I will stick with him versus bargain bulls.

I'm sure a Hyundai will get you from point A to B, but I prefer a Rolls over a Hyundai.

Money plays a factor in the decision most normal folks make, personally I'd take the Hyundai. I sure wish I'd of had our first Simmental bull collected, we weren't smart enough to realize what we had till he was long gone. Probably the dumbest mistake I've made in the cattle business so far.

************* said:
NEFarmwife said:

When you start AIing more than 50 cows, let's talk.

We A.I. over 500 cows every year. Most are commercial. Most operations wouldn't even tackle that. Show me one that does?

We've had this convo before.

Richnm said:
NEFarmwife said:

Wow!!! Better than Schaff!! $50,000.00 for the bull send me his reg number. If you think I am joking send me the reg number.

https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPed...nhejGBT3yCdOKmoYv/D0f6t3HvNxroK+Q4jHU9/PxTQ==

Show me a Schaff bull that comes close to his numbers?

NEFarmwife said:
************* said:
NEFarmwife said:

We A.I. over 500 cows every year. Most are commercial. Most operations wouldn't even tackle that. Show me one that does?

Reg #????. Why do you always negative input and then leave the forums? Also why do you bad mouth Schaff at every opportunity? Post his Reg # $50k if he is as good as you say. I will pay trucking. My money is good.

Richnm said:
NEFarmwife said:
************* said:

Reg #????. Why do you always post negative comments in comparison to your operation, and then leave the forums? Also why do you bad mouth Schaff at every opportunity? Post his Reg # $50k if he is as good as you say. I will pay trucking. My money is good.

Latest posts