Cold

Help Support CattleToday:

Showed going across I40 to about Texarkana ( I guess technically around Little Rock) then hook a left. I have been thru that route a few trips and it isn't bad traveling when the weather is ok. They don't do well on 40 with winter precipitation though. Atlanta from 6a.m to 8p.m is a no go for me same for St. Louis.

Last edited:
Pouring rain here again. Anybody that wants to swap an 8" layer of mud for some frozen ground I will swap you even.

I have always said there in nothing from my Scandinavian ancestry or being raised on the north Washington coast that prepared me for hot weather. But cold doesn't bother me much at all. Just have to dress for it.

-1 here in E Texas and wind chill of -10. Good ole Texas weather, if you don't like it stay a bit and it will change to 80 degrees

I am about five miles from the cows. Could not get out of the drive yesterday. Two wheeled drive ford ranger. Ponds probable froze over and need to hay. would it be better not to hay because of the need for water. Did get above freezing yesterday. Hoping to today. Might be able to set up some water troughs and let it run over and keep running lots of work for this old man. Snow in my yard is still 6 inches deep.

-1 this morning, 5" more snow on top of the 5 or 6" inches we have

Tractor is acting up
Water pump is acting up

No fun
I have not changed the fuel filters as I should. The filter will filter water and freeze up. Doubt I can get the tractor to crank when I get down to the farm.

What do people do if the power goes out and they have no propane heaters or no wood fire, how do they keep warm? Do people get found dead in their house? Most people are not as practical or resourceful as farmers.

Ken
- Big cities have some warming centers for the poor. The underlying issue is not having transportation.
- People can sleep well outdoors in arctic conditions, but you need a ground cloth and a good sleeping bag. A very close friend is optional.
- If you don't like sleeping under the stars - - you could camp in your pickup till the fuel runs out. May not work well with EVs.
- The property owner issue is how to avoid burst pipes. If you still have water pressure - - you can crack the valves, or reset the float, and let the water trickle. It does not take much flow to keep things open. Some older homes and a lot of recreational property here are also set up so you can either drain or blow out the plumbing before it freezes.

Last edited:
Sun is bright with the snow reflection . Walked to the farm today, truck didn't want to get into the pasture drive last night.

4 more days.....

For sure, nothing fun about it MurraysMutts.

Never thought i'd be happy about 10 degrees, but we finally made it back to there, and I kinda am. Looks like we might dip back into the single digits tomorrow night if it clears off, but at least we should be done with negatives. We hit -11 here this morning...

Latest posts