Cold weather management

Help Support CattleToday:

pushpendra

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I am in India and have my cattle at present in a dry region plain land and now m shifting to a hill station nearby alongwith my cows which a milking breed Indian cows. They are not used to extreme cold so whoever has any ideas of what different provisions I can give my cattle regarding the shades and barns etc. to keep tham warm in low tempratures please give me links or ideas. The temprature falls upo 2 degrees minimum. Thankyou you all. :cboy:

I think what you are seeing here from lack of responses is that no one here is familiar with the cattle or conditions in India.

Aren't cattle "sacred" in India and not used for food? Good luck. Jim

I don't know what sort of cattle you have, but most cattle like cool weather -- no flies is a good thing. They hate cold rain, though.
A roof over their head and a dry place to lay down and they will be very happy even on the coldest days.

Betty":2nyhzt8b said:
I don't know what sort of cattle you have, but most cattle like cool weather -- no flies is a good thing. They hate cold rain, though.
A roof over their head and a dry place to lay down and they will be very happy even on the coldest days.
Sorry Betty - but I disagree - cattle do not need a "roof over their head". The biggest thing for cattle fighting extreme cold is the wind. They need shelter from the wind - and woods is perfect, but I don't think you have a lot of wooded area, so they need some type of windbreak. Also, their hair coat needs to be kept clean - in other words, they can't be in a lot of mud. Once their hair gets matted down with mud, they lose their insulation, and get colder faster.

Hey thanx, well the breed I have is indegenous breed known as Gir also found in Brazil, basically they are from a tropical region but somehow i have to shift them alongwith me on a hill station where the night time temps are cold that go down till -2 degree cent. Are there any links of sites that give ideas on specific ways how to build housing for them to keep them warm during night time etc. :?:

what works well around here are three sided shelters, three sides sheated and a roof, leave the side to the south open. It has a lean type roof usually 8feet tall in the back and 10feet tall in the front. I will try and get a picture of mine and post it for you. I think Jeanne is right, I dont have any trees and the only time mine use it is in a cold rain or blowing snow, in the summer its used more to get out of the sun on hot days.

haase":k6k5pxgd said:
what works well around here are three sided shelters, three sides sheated and a roof, leave the side to the south open. It has a lean type roof usually 8feet tall in the back and 10feet tall in the front. I will try and get a picture of mine and post it for you. I think Jeanne is right, I dont have any trees and the only time mine use it is in a cold rain or blowing snow, in the summer its used more to get out of the sun on hot days.
With Gir(Gyr) if it gets as cold as he says they're gonna need more then a 3 sided shed.

haase":3u7ll11l said:
Really dont know much about Gir (Gyr) but then again I didnt think -2 was that cold for cattle.

It would be to "tropical cattle"....much like 110 isn't hot to folk in West Texas but dam hot to an Eskimo. ;-)

pushpendra, here is a picture of a 3 sided shelter.

IMG_0456.jpg