Cogan grass

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Has anybody had any luck killing this stuff. It is really getting bad in my area. I found a spot of it last year and sprayed it with 50% glyphosphate and 50% water. It is back and doing just fine.
I went and looked at a friends farm yesterday. He has about 10 spots and has been spraying them for 2 years with arsenal with no luck. It will turn the grass brown for about 2 months and then it comes right back.

denoginnizer":ipgmlzdt said:
Has anybody had any luck killing this stuff. It is really getting bad in my area. I found a spot of it last year and sprayed it with 50% glyphosphate and 50% water. It is back and doing just fine.
I went and looked at a friends farm yesterday. He has about 10 spots and has been spraying them for 2 years with arsenal with no luck. It will turn the grass brown for about 2 months and then it comes right back.

With that concentration no wonder it comes back. I mentioned in a previous post that over mixing herbicide doesn;t have an long temr affect. It basicly kills the leaf to the point that it can;t translocate the herbicide to the root so it will just grow back from the root.

Interesting about the more is not necesaraily better . My thinking was that residue from the extreme overdose would have a negative effect on regrowth.

I am thinking about covering the spot with black tarp and cutting the sunlight off from it. Any thoughts on that strategy.

denoginnizer":38cu7oxq said:
Interesting about the more is not necesaraily better . My thinking was that residue from the extreme overdose would have a negative effect on regrowth.

I am thinking about covering the spot with black tarp and cutting the sunlight off from it. Any thoughts on that strategy.

By the time it starts to regrow the herbicide has been neutralized by time. Smothering it with plastic might work, you must be talking a pretty small area though. For johnson grass, I mow it as close to the gorund as I can and when it starts to regrow I hammer it with glyposate, then hammer it again about 2-3 weeks later when it starts showing any green from the base.

dun":1lk0yqfo said:
denoginnizer":1lk0yqfo said:

By the time it starts to regrow the herbicide has been neutralized by time. Smothering it with plastic might work, you must be talking a pretty small area though. For johnson grass, I mow it as close to the gorund as I can and when it starts to regrow I hammer it with glyposate, then hammer it again about 2-3 weeks later when it starts showing any green from the base.
Why are you killing the Johnson grass? If it is in a hay field it usually will mature faster than the other grasses, so I can understand that. But in a pasture, the cows love it so much they will usually kill it out on their own.

Look into adding some ammonium sulphate in with your roundup mix. Also add a good surfactant and give it a try. Can't remember the rate on the ammonium sulfate but what you are essentially doing is foliar feeding the grass so it will grow faster which will help the roundup work quicker.

It will take multiple sprayings with glyphosate to kill the extensive root system of cogon. Link I posted suggests 2% glyphosate. denoggonizer was using 50% of 41% or a 20.5% glyphosate solution. Like dun said the 20.5% concentration will destroy the vascular system in the leaves before the chemical can translocate through active vascular activity to the roots. The roots are what you have to kill. Glyphosate has no soil activity. All its killing power lies in translocation from the leaves to the roots. I agree ammonium sulphate will help. If you use glyphosate+ the surfactant is already there.

novatech":26rp6pvt said:
Why are you killing the Johnson grass? If it is in a hay field it usually will mature faster than the other grasses, so I can understand that. But in a pasture, the cows love it so much they will usually kill it out on their own.

Two reasons, it's classified as a noxious weed the same as serecia and the main reason is that it's so invasive and will take over a hay field. Since we rotationally graze it usually has a chance to head out and reseed before we get the cows back to the pasture that it's in.
The neighbor had a little bit of it growing along the highway passing by his alfalfa hay field. Now he has more JG then alfalfa.

Jogeephus":26aipp9w said:
Look into adding some ammonium sulphate in with your roundup mix. Also add a good surfactant and give it a try. Can't remember the rate on the ammonium sulfate but what you are essentially doing is foliar feeding the grass so it will grow faster which will help the roundup work quicker.
The rate for ammonium sulfate is 17 lbs/100 gallons of water. It helps with the foliar uptake.

The stuff almost always grows in a circle. The circles are usaully about 20 feet across before it is detected as cogan grass and is extremly hard to kill with chemical.
Any idea how my tarp idea would effect the rysomes?

denoginnizer":1amguq0y said:
The stuff almost always grows in a circle. The circles are usaully about 20 feet across before it is detected as cogan grass and is extremly hard to kill with chemical.

Unless you leave the tarp a couple years, I predict it will come back from the rhizome.
Rhizomes just lay there and wait.

denoginnizer":3cg3h06z said:
Its called solar sterilization. You are cooking the soil. I've never used it on rhizomes. But I would think a rhizome would cook as well as anything else.
Give it a try and report back.

Denoginnizer I have seen good results with a product called Cogon X (and yes it's spelled right you will see some call it Cogan grass others Cogon grass). I have seen this reduce stands when mixed with Glyphosate per recomendations better than anything else.

Here is the link to the web site or you can google it.
It is made by Stimupro from Robertsdale, AL.

http://www.cogon-x.com

I was looking for informaiton on nutritional value of switchgrass this morning and they had a table of the nutritional values of various grasses. Cogan was on par with fescue, the only one that was significantly higher was Bermuda. If it's palatable to the cattle, why get rid of it?

Dun a cow will only nibble on it when it is very small in the first stages of growth in the spring, after it reaches about 8" they will not touch it. Goats will not hardly touch the stuff, that should tell you something.

During the winter it becomes a major fire hazard. I've known of 8"-10" and larger dia. longleaf pines being killed due to the intense heat of burning cogan grass under the canopy. It will also "choke out" 98% of all other grass. It will also decrease your property value if you have it on your land in our area.

All in all it is a pest with no real known value.

dun":2k7bgevl said:
I was looking for informaiton on nutritional value of switchgrass this morning and they had a table of the nutritional values of various grasses. Cogan was on par with fescue, the only one that was significantly higher was Bermuda. If it's palatable to the cattle, why get rid of it?
Dun do you know where I could locate this info on the nutritional values of cogan grass? I dont doubt you at all but if I tell one of these folks around here that I heard it from the cattle forum they might look at me strange. :lol:

denoginnizer":7zj6ax54 said:
dun":7zj6ax54 said:
Dun do you know where I could locate this info on the nutritional values of cogan grass? I dont doubt you at all but if I tell one of these folks around here that I heard it from the cattle forum they might look at me strange. :lol:

I did a bunch of searches trying to remmeber what it was that I used as criteria when I came up with that information. Can;t find it again but I'll keep looking

If there are palatability issues wit hthe stuff it doesn;t matter how high the nutritional value is. If you can;t get it inside of a cow it's pretty much useless.

Latest posts