coccidiosis question

Help Support CattleToday:

mdmdogs3

Reaction score
last fall we treated a calf for coccidiosis -
he recovered well but I have a question regarding the pen that he was in...
:?: can the organism still be there and if yes, how can we get rid of it :?:
It is basically a dirt and rock area.
I was thinking of something as drastic as pouring clorox all over it to sterilize it :roll:

Unless you can cover every since nook and cranny, bleach won't guarantee you can kill it off. It can live in the soil, and when I'd get it in my calves up north, the vet said you'll never completely get rid of it. (I raised calves in an old dairy barn)

Cocci is everywhere-
Young and weak animals can just be overwhelmed.
Think along terms of preventative measures(Coccidiostats) to keep the burdens low.

Howdyjabo":1qamtqk8 said:
Cocci is everywhere-
Young and weak animals can just be overwhelmed.
Think along terms of preventative measures(Coccidiostats) to keep the burdens low.

It is my understanding that most animals have these critters & some conditions such as stress can lead to an outbreak. It has been found that the ionophores Bovatec & Rumensin also act as coccidiostats. I try to keep feed or mineral with Bovatec available to all of my stockers. Haven't had a case of coccidiosis since starting this practice.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Most cattle only ever suffer from subclinical cocci--
So you have probably had it and suffered some losses-- just not enough to see it going out the window :)

Howdyjabo":2lox7wh8 said:
http://www.calfnotes.com/pdffiles/CN017.pdf

Karen

Thanks for posting that link. Should answer most folks questions.

Sure helps to refresh the old feeble brain infected with CRS.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

The coccidiosis protozoa exists in ALL CATTLE. They multiply when cattle are in a stressful situation. The more contaminated their living quarters are - the more of a problem it is. This is one of those things that is best using PREVENTATIVE measures - which means you should be feeding loose mineral with Rumensin or Bovetec year round.
If you see your calves with bloodie diarhea, they can be treated with Corid for 5 days or Sulfa boluses also treat it. Not all Sulfa boluses are "cleared" for C treatment, but they work.
If you have had an outbreak that you are aware of - the more important for you to have year round preventative measures.

Putting MOST cattle on year round coccidiostats is over kill and throwing money away.
And may actually be detrimental--
with goats(which are much more susseptable) they have found that useing Bovatec or Rumensin year round MAY actually hurt its effectiviness when really needed.

Maybe --- I've only been doing it for the past 20 years, so maybe I need to wait & see. :shock: :D Haven't treated anything for cocc in all that time. Now, sometimes if I wean calves at an earlier age than normal, I will put Corid in thier drinking water for 5 days. Maybe that's why I don't have a problem :shock:
Cornell Univ recommends year round use, also. Never heard of them building up a resistance to it. But maybe ---

I posted that last post because after reading your post-- I was afraid of misleading people to over reacting to the idea that they are having cocci problems that they don't see--.
It wasn't really aimed at discrediting what you do.
I should have worded it better-- sorry

I shouldn't have been sarcastic.
Preventative meds are soooo much cheaper than treatment. Corid is VERY expensive. Plus you never know with Cocc if you have poor doers because of it, unless you have a severe case.
mdmdogs3 posted that they had to treat last year, sooo, I suggest prevention = year round.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":cj95axb8 said:
Maybe --- I've only been doing it for the past 20 years, so maybe I need to wait & see. :shock: :D Haven't treated anything for cocc in all that time. Now, sometimes if I wean calves at an earlier age than normal, I will put Corid in thier drinking water for 5 days. Maybe that's why I don't have a problem :shock:
Cornell Univ recommends year round use, also. Never heard of them building up a resistance to it. But maybe ---
Actually its the parisites that build up the resistance to it just like the wormers they recommend rotating.but im sure you knew that.

mdmdogs3":2ju44ji8 said:
last fall we treated a calf for coccidiosis -
he recovered well but I have a question regarding the pen that he was in...
:?: can the organism still be there and if yes, how can we get rid of it :?:
It is basically a dirt and rock area.
I was thinking of something as drastic as pouring clorox all over it to sterilize it :roll:
using clorox aint a bad idea but i would put it in a spray rig and give it a good soaking. :hat:

Latest posts