Coccidia Vaccine

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I think it was Silver or gcreekrch who made a comment about vaccinating against coccidia.

I cannot find the reference, but someone mentioned it in the last couple days.

Vaccines for protozoan parasites have low efficacy. Who is using a vaccine for coccidia? What are you using? And do you think it has been effective in your operation?

Bright Raven":tf0h0qkw said:
I think it was Silver or gcreekrch who made a comment about vaccinating against coccidia.

Vaccines for protozoan parasites have low efficacy. Who is using a vaccine for coccidia? What are you using? And do you think it has been effective in your operation?
y
Not me. Is the vaccine available in a MLV and killed variety?

True Grit Farms":rqx0pg4i said:
Bright Raven":rqx0pg4i said:

y
Not me. Is the vaccine available in a MLV and killed variety?

I don't think they prepare live protozoan vaccine. So killed or attenuated, I suspect. I am not aware they make a coccidia vaccine.

Silver":1lp4f9kx said:
Baycox (toltrazuril). Given orally at birth.

I use corid to drench with or granulated amprolium to mix in dry feed. Baycox is a treatment.

Toltrazuril is a coccidiostat. It is not a vaccine. However, it helps control coccidia in advance of them getting it. AND. Does not appear to be available over on our side of the border.

Bright Raven":3kdy1eji said:
Silver":3kdy1eji said:

I use corid to drench with or granulated amprolium to mix in dry feed. Baycox is a treatment.

Toltrazuril is a coccidiostat. It is not a vaccine. However, it helps control coccidia in advance of them getting it. AND. Does not appear to be available over on our side of the border.

Please forgive my misuse of the term "vaccination". It does seem to prevent clinical coccidiosis in calves. No problems with cocci since we have been using it.

Silver":1qrxoqbw said:
Bright Raven":1qrxoqbw said:
Silver":1qrxoqbw said:

Please forgive my misuse of the term "vaccination". It does seem to prevent clinical coccidiosis in calves. No problems with cocci since we have been using it.

You are forgiven my son. :santa:

I only calve in the fall. I get the first outbreak when cows congregate at the hay ring. When I see the first calf with brown diarrhea and foul odor, I drench each calf daily with a drenching syringe filled with the 5 day treatment mix prescribed on the corid bottle. Since I get the calves up each day for halter training, it is no extra chore.

Thanks. I appreciate the information.

Bright Raven":1y21gt10 said:

Nope, As far as I am aware there is no such thing.

We add Rumensin to our mineral year round to control Cocci. We also add BioMoss to take out a host of other unwanted bugs.
We are in an area very high in Molybdenum so are feeding a close to toxic level of Copper. Herd health has been getting better and better as years go by.

We test feed every second year and make adjustments as needed.

I have several nurse cows and buy calves off a few farms that I have found to have the same "bugs " as I do, so don't have problems with sick calves like I used to from some other places. Still, it would be nice to be able to try that toltrazuril that you have available as coccidia seems to be the biggest thing I have to deal with. An occasional pnuemonia with crazy weather, but very little other stuff. Right now I have 12 calves in the barn, on 4 cows and a 5th cow that one calf has taken a shine to but she has 3, 400 lb calves on her ready to wean. So with this kind of concentration, I usually see a couple of coccidia cases. Treated 3 this last month, but it didn't take much and they were up and going. A pill given when they first come on the farm would be a better way to go. Is there a brand name that I could research?

farmerjan":2yh4b6la said:
I have several nurse cows and buy calves off a few farms that I have found to have the same "bugs " as I do, so don't have problems with sick calves like I used to from some other places. Still, it would be nice to be able to try that toltrazuril that you have available as coccidia seems to be the biggest thing I have to deal with. An occasional pnuemonia with crazy weather, but very little other stuff. Right now I have 12 calves in the barn, on 4 cows and a 5th cow that one calf has taken a shine to but she has 3, 400 lb calves on her ready to wean. So with this kind of concentration, I usually see a couple of coccidia cases. Treated 3 this last month, but it didn't take much and they were up and going. A pill given when they first come on the farm would be a better way to go. Is there a brand name that I could research?

Silver said it is 'Baycox (toltrazuril)'.

I googled it. Not available at Jeffers or Valley Vet. I am assuming it is not approved in the US. I agree. It sure would be convenient.

Bright Raven":5yt0zv5s said:
farmerjan":5yt0zv5s said:
Okay, so what do we have to do to get a direct line to the source??????

I was thinking it might slip by if you order on eBay. IDK.

That's how I got my Orphan No More. It's not available in Canada, but slipped right through from Amazon. You know, hypothetically, to actually do that would be wrong... :kid:

O-No-Mo is a GREAT product. Keep it on hand at all times. May never need it, but when you do, it's in-valuable.
For treatment of cocci - I use Sulfa bolus (like Sustain III). Sulfa is a treatment, but not all drug companies paid the money to "get it on label".

There's an 'own use' rule for us up here. There are certain things that I can (and do) go across the line to get. Multimin and ivermectin are a couple. I need to go get my Multimin supply here fairly soon.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1gnpdfmk said:
O-No-Mo is a GREAT product. Keep it on hand at all times. May never need it, but when you do, it's in-valuable.
For treatment of cocci - I use Sulfa bolus (like Sustain III). Sulfa is a treatment, but not all drug companies paid the money to "get it on label".

We don't often treat for scours anymore, but when we do we use a sulfa bolus as well (can't remember the brand offhand), and in conjunction with electrolytes works very well. And a dose of Metacam for good measure. Caught quickly it seems they are up in no time flat and back being a calf again.

Latest posts