Civil War

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred

Reaction score
Anybody watching "The Civil War" on the PBS channel? It's a series, no idea how many episodes there will be but so far each is 2 hrs. long. Filled with information, some good historians, lots of terrible pictures but good. Might have to catch it on a rerun now if you missed it.

TexasBred":2486kna2 said:
Anybody watching "The Civil War" on the PBS channel? It's a series, no idea how many episodes there will be but so far each is 2 hrs. long. Filled with information, some good historians, lots of terrible pictures but good. Might have to catch it on a rerun now if you missed it.
No its just a bunch of racist fighting over slaves

I have been watching it was amazed at the destruction created by Sherman and the union troops. I wondering as to what the population of the north the south was at the time of the war. Searching showed that the North had 20 million and the South had 9 million and that the south had 3.5 million slaves which was part of the 9 million.

hurleyjd":2p8868xd said:
I have been watching it was amazed at the destruction created by Sherman and the union troops. I wondering as to what the population of the north the south was at the time of the war. Searching showed that the North had 20 million and the South had 9 million and that the south had 3.5 million slaves which was part of the 9 million.
I haven't got to that part yet. Just finished watching episode 3 this morning. I was amazed at the overall carnage of both property and human life in all the battles.

Just an observation------We like to say things like: it's never been this bad or times couldn't get any worse etc etc. I'd say people said that during the civil war, and really meant it.

Bigfoot":tx6gh4hv said:
Just an observation------We like to say things like: it's never been this bad or times couldn't get any worse etc etc. I'd say people said that during the civil war, and really meant it.
Absolutely !!! Can't remember which battle it was but said wagons hauling the wounded from one side or the other was 17 miles long.

We don't have/get PBS. :( Don't have major networks either.

I do miss some of the programming on PBS.

I wonder if any of their programs or documentries are availabe as a rental? I'll have to check out the local library and see what they have.

Workinonit Farm":128vkjiz said:

I wonder if any of their programs or documentries are availabe as a rental? I'll have to check out the local library and see what they have.
Looks like it's available

http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Ken-Burns- ... r/70202577

I saw an episode the other night. This series came out in the late 80s or early 90s. I bought it back then on several VHS tapes. Ken Burns has several other topics that he addresses on DVD.

TexasBred":3evmy6ec said:
X2

wacocowboy":3cae8ouw said:
I missed it but I watched one on AHC the other day it was pretty good.
I think all episodes of this one make it close to 12 hours long. The one Hurley mentioned screwed up when I recorded it or at least the network was screwed up. All I got was a 2 hr recording telling me they'd get it going asap...never came on..Maybe there will be a replay.

The one I watch on AHC was like 6 hours. I have a Civil War book on tape I listened to while putting together puzzles. It was the best Civil War information I have ever heard or watched.

TexasBred":3mns7d55 said:
Bigfoot":3mns7d55 said:
Absolutely !!! Can't remember which battle it was but said wagons hauling the wounded from one side or the other was 17 miles long.

Probaly the Battle of Antietam. 22,000 Americans casualties in one day. This was and still is the bloodiest day in American history.

Workinonit Farm":2zz631ha said:

Holy cow. Do you get sunlight? :D (Just joking - lighten up)

Bestoutwest":saiiohfi said:
TB, you ever read The Killer Angels?

No sir sure haven't. Reading an old book now "Civil War Treasury" by Albert Nofi. Doesn't spend so much time on battles, statistics, etc as it does on anecdotes of army life, logistics during the war, descriptions of both soldiers and civilians and some of their deeds of honor. Probably take me a year to read it.

Latest posts