Civil War Buffs

Help Support CattleToday:

jehosofat":1puoeyop said:
Can you imagine being a combat surgeon during the Civil War?
Yep, a sawbones... those old musket balls and Minnie's were loaded with bacteria if it didn't shatter a limb , gangrene would set up pretty fast..the limb was coming off no way around it..sad that they went the rest of their days cripples, when this day and age there would be scars...

ALACOWMAN":1hhep0hv said:
jehosofat":1hhep0hv said:
Can you imagine being a combat surgeon during the Civil War?
Yep, a sawbones... those old musket balls and Minnie's were loaded with bacteria if it didn't shatter a limb , gangrene would set up pretty fast..the limb was coming off no way around it..sad that they went the rest of their days cripples, when this day and age there would be scars...

Had to be a miserable miserable ordeal. Looking back it was very primitive warfare. Different time. Different class of men. Glad I came along after those days but who knows what the future holds. I'm not anti-war. But MOST wars are about money/Power these days. Soldiers lives are, IMO, viewed as disposable. Sad. I have a lot of respect and gratitude for any member of the military. No matter how high or low ranking. But I have an even deeper appreciation for the ones who gave their life for a cause that they may or may not have believed in, because that's what they were asked to do. :tiphat:

They were disposable in those days..can't imagine marching right into a hail of bullets.. If that didn't stop them,then it was canister fire...I believe a lot of them actually wanted to die.. Then the war would be over...for them..

ALACOWMAN":t228bk3e said:
They were disposable in those days..can't imagine marching right into a hail of bullets.. If that didn't stop them,then it was canister fire...I believe a lot of them actually wanted to die.. Then the war would be over...for them..

Don't forget grape shot. I can't imagine anything more intimidating.

ALACOWMAN":z8pcmhrp said:

Eight thousand boys left East Texas with roughly 800 returning home.
The boys from the Woodville Rifles were at Little Round Top Gettysburg.

"At Sharpsburg his regiment suffered 82.3 percent casualties, the greatest percentage of losses sustained by any regiment, Union or Confederate, in a single day of fighting during the war. "