I now declare war

Help Support CattleToday:

plumber_greg":28x74h8n said:
Get some fly bait and mix with coke in a pan. Problem solved. Gs
That would poison it? Hey, I could use some antifreeze, I would just have to make sure my cats were locked up...
He didn't get in last night, my chickens are all safe. My traps were still set, BUT, I did put chips in it and they were gone. What happened is I also put part of the chicken in there, a piece of her wing. I picked the trap up and shook them to the very back, then thought he might rattle the cage to get them from the outside, so I shook the cage so the chips were closer to the trigger. When I did this, I didn't notice the chicken wing went under the trigger. SO he was able to go in and get the chips, without setting it off. Which might have been a good thing, right. I'll get him tonight.

Fire Sweep Ranch":3t9ib1i2 said:
We have lost several chickens also. We go out and find a headless body laying next to the chicken wire, no blood. I solved that problem by locking the hens up in the hen house at night now. Nothing gets in, and they can not come out until we open it in the morning. Kind of a pain in the rear, but beats finding a dead one every morning.
they make automatic door openers on a timer. they close at a set time open up about 5 minutes later to let the stragglers in and then close again. in the morning it opens the door back up at a time that you set.

I'm going to make an automatic door when I build them a roosting house. Not sure how yet, but i'm working on it. The ones you buy are pretty expensive.
Didn't get the SOB last night. Again, he got the chips but didn't set off the trap. I may be dealing with a smarter than average raccoon. He did not get a chicken, so I think I have the tractor safe now...

plumber_greg":1e2gwgoy said:
The cats and dogs won't drink the mix. Racoon will. Then take 3 steps and die. Gs
Fly bait, is this something feed stores sell?

every night I was 2 different mothers take their 4 young coons (8 total) and run across the woods I just bulldozed.

They run across different times every night or i'd wait with a gun.. they are smart!

they won't fall for my live traps anymore.. i've killed dozens.

Could be mice stealing the chips.
Fly bait is available at the local farm store. Make sure no pets can get near it, they'll be dead before you know what happened.

plumber_greg":3aph3dni said:
The cats and dogs won't drink the mix. Racoon will. Then take 3 steps and die. Gs

I would not trust the cats and dogs to NOT consume the mixture. Whatever consumes it will be terminated, mice, rats, birds, possum, coons ....

We had civet cats at one time that would kill chickens. They were a small skunk like animal with spots on the back instead of strips like a skunk. I use twinkes for bait. I have one trap that the trip would take a heavy animal to trip it. The hava heart brand is the best out there. But a live trap if loaned to someone never comes home.

M.Magis":2m4a8gws said:
Could be mice stealing the chips.
Fly bait is available at the local farm store. Make sure no pets can get near it, they'll be dead before you know what happened.
I would guess that too other than the I have cats everywhere...but I guess it could be mice. I feed the cats good before I put the bait out so they aren't interested in eating... Probably one good reason not to use a poison unless I can put the cats somewhere for the night, not too concerned if they get caught in the live trap..

Still no catch. But, it did rain 2 inches and trap was sprung and he didn't touch chickens in pen. Tonight, maybe tonight....

Strawberrys or pieces of watermelon or cantaloupe....catches groundhogs, coons, skunks.....I can just set an empty trap next to the small "chicken tractor" and they go in just trying to find a way into the coop. Heard the chickens squawking about midnight, ran out and there is a coon, had dug under the side where the ground was soft from the rain, so I opened the side door that the chickens use when I turn them out loose, opened the little door in back and beat the SOB with a stick to make him get out since I wasn't gonna take a chance of hitting the chickens. 2 nights later, he was right back and walked right into the havahart, no bait, nothing. Have some friends that have coon dogs so they come get them and bring back the trap next day. Set it and 2 nights later got a skunk looking for a way in. 22 short to head, stinky trap but it is set again. Get tired of dealing with them but....

If your trap is a little small, a BIG BOAR coon can go in, reach for the bait and his back can hold up the door enough to be able to back out. I use the biggest trap I can find so that the varmit has to go way in before they can reach the trip plate and the door will fall all the way down. Watched a male that went into a smaller trap, and his back end was far enough back that the trap door just fell on his back and he backed out. Smart ba$#@t@#d.

i take high tensile wire and put 2 traps together. that works for the smarter ones.

ddd75":3h3a2mvn said:
every night I was 2 different mothers take their 4 young coons (8 total) and run across the woods I just bulldozed.

They run across different times every night or i'd wait with a gun.. they are smart!

they won't fall for my live traps anymore.. i've killed dozens.

Get some dog-proof coon traps. They trap when the coon reaches down a tube to get the bait. The disadvantage is that you have to shoot the coon or handle it, but coons are naturally curious and they reach in for the goodies.

I think the coon gave up. He cant get my chickens anymore so he's moved on. Unless I see he's trying to get in my coop, i'll just leave him be.
I have another invention i'm about to get the paten ball rolling on. Its a chicken invention and not only am I excited about it, my husband is. He never gets excited about my ideas...lol..probably because I have at least one a day. But when I told him about this one, he said, Wow....So I made one and the whole family is excited about it. Plan to talk to the patent guy this week. Once its patent pending i'll post pictures. Its one of those things that makes you say, Why didn't I think of it....I was actually surprised I've found nothing even near what I've made. This one will be big....I think, probably... No, its good.

Latest posts