Chicken Manure as feed??

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much chicken sh$t does the average cow ingest when their pastures are fertilized with same?????

Do not know - do not use it.

We do use it on corn and soy beans - disc it in.

Do not want it on my pastures. Good stuff, but I am wary of it.

You have an answer to the question?

Bez

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":k1y8n3au said:
Wewild":k1y8n3au said:
How much chicken sh$t does the average cow ingest when their pastures are fertilized with same?????
Very very little,if any,I am sure as the plant absorbs most of the "nutrients" when it grows.

I guess I was talking about " how much before" the first .... second .... third .... or how ever many rains is necessary to dissolve the chicken sh$t.

Bez":3eqih2ze said:
la4angus

Lighten up, hell.
Just because others do it doesn't mean that you need to.
Bez has already given you reasons not to use chicken schit in your feed so there is no point in me re-elaborating on it.

Tapeworm

Thats the way to tell him La4...sometimes you have to be blunt...then sometimes theres slow learners to.LOL This was my favorite part of his posting
"The protein tubs sound like the way to go but don't cows need more than hay and grass when they are on that stuff. Roughage like palm leaves and tree leaves...etc."
Wants to feed leaves and be nice instead of grass??? Say what??? I think he just wants to buy some feed instead of trying to make money. Course anybody that runs straight longhorns...well....to put it nice its more of a game than a business anyhow

MPR

Some people are set in the ways they do things and preachin aint gonna change them. Hell if his fellow cattlemen are doin it it must be good

Well, I agree with all of you. BUT .....

When we run down a guy (I have been guilty myself at times) for doing some of these things and I then sit back for a second sober thought - I always come back to this thought.

In my opinion these folks do what they do because there have been some serious mistakes made in the education of folks who raise cattle.

It has been done this way for many years and that in itself is the problem. The chances of people changing their ways is slim. Why?

I believe it is because they are doing what Gramps did. If it worked for him, it should work for me.

Other than the various legislations - which will come - what can be done to change the attitudes and the methods of feeding?

We can always drive a guy away from this forum, but can we change how he operates?

Thoughts?

Bez
==============

Bez,
you remind me of a contemporary parent...don't spank...don't discipline...then the baby grows up and no one can control him...not the laws...police and disaster strikes....why?,,,because the concept of discipline..which we all must have sometime in life... has not been instilled.

No comments so far has been for any purpose other than to explain to this person that the road they are taking has been traveled before with almost dire consequences and the map has changed. They need a GPS system installed in their operational philosophy.

They are dead wrong.... and worrying about offending someone that is making it a hard way to go for the rest of us is ludicrous.

I am offended by no one who explains that I am wrong. Common sense tells me to check it out modify and move on. All the while thanking them for their constructive review.

Having said that I invite that person to stay on these boards...they are a learning experience for all of us. As we can see from this and other posts....many need that.

Bez":3k8itner said:
Do not know - do not use it.

We do use it on corn and soy beans - disc it in.

Do not want it on my pastures. Good stuff, but I am wary of it.

You have an answer to the question?

Bez

No I don't have an answer ..... but if there is a zero tolerance to this issue a lot of people have problems.

I would not feed it to my cattle .... but we have used it as fertilizer for many years. I wouldn't feed it for personal reasons but I feel our cattle have consumed some every time the pastures has been fertilized for the last 30+ years.

preston39

You obviously missed my point completely - so that would make me a stupid contemporary parent.

Unless it becomes law there is nothing that can be done about it. I have already made my point in a previous post - you obviously missed it.

So, I will re-iterate.

We can always drive a guy away from this forum, but can we change how he operates?

Thoughts?

Bez

Bez":t3w4qq6h said:

Bez

No but we can make him think about how he operates.

frenchie":2c8rze79 said:
Bez":2c8rze79 said:

Bez

No but we can make him think about how he operates.

I'd say that's right.

frenchie

Exactly - but not if he goes away and stays away.

Bez

Lets see, Between all of us there must be thousands of years experience. We have as a whole made a lot of mistakes. I know I have made more than my share. Anyway the point I'm trying to make is "everyone of us" is dead set against it. We all pretty much agree that it shouldn't be done. Of course we all will differ from time to time but this seems to be a sticky point for all of us. Now put yourself in that guys place. He is probally new to raising cattle. I thank we have given him pretty solid advice. His neighbors have been doing it and he sees the results. I guess from his point of view, it ain't a bad of a thing to do. Its not that we are beating up on him. We just know the few pros and multiple cons of doing it. We don't want to see the cattle market take a dive for mistakes a few make. As I mentioned I did it once back in the 70's. I feed it for about a month. I did not have a problem but the more I studied on it the more risker it became. I also put it on my pastures once. I got a lot of weeds after that. I learned from my mistakes. Hopeful this guy will rethink this and consider the thousands of years of advice given here. I hope he don't run off. This should be a place for education of cattle people. I know I have learned a lot in my limited time here.

I think Bez has a good point here. You can't influence someone who isn't around.

On the other hand, I can't believe that in this "modern, enlightened" age we need to debate whether or not it's a good idea to use excrement from any animal or bird as a food source for cattle! But, then some of those individuals slamming this guy so hard on this issue may be using steroid implants, injections, or additives to plump up their cattle. Then there's those who regularly supply antibiotics as a preventitive measure to health issues. ALL of these practices are "un-natural" and I think lead to problems (just like grinding up deceased animals or using chicken excrement for a protein source).

I think there's a reason God designed cattle to be raised on their mom's milk and grass.

Ok, now you got my 2 cents. :D

Oh my over dramatize the situation.
Sorry if your a feed producer who is intimidated by a cheaper product.
And sorry if your a mass beef herder who is worried about his sales to Canada.
I am a small time rancher with 50 head of longhorns...who unlike some previous posts...doesn't like them to look thin. Hello...skinny cows are not asthetic to look at...whatever about the blood line...nobody is registered anyway. So my cows are in my best interest...unlike maybe some others who have posted here. Hay is not enough. Protein blocks make them eat forage from the woods...leaves palmedos...etc to whoever posted about that comment. When its winter and there is nothing to eat in the woods..why give the tubs of protein that make them eat what they cannot get. I have read so many post about "don't do it because its wrong". Maybe someone can throw me a bone and tell me what they would feed in Florida besides sweet feed to fatten up their cows. All can really go to >>> because as far as I know nothing is illegal about the manure feed. Does anyone even know if there are benifits to manure as feed our are you going on paranoid heresay. Dont slam me without some facts.
Thanks

Sorry I missed a few sensable posts before my last post. Note...I am in the beginners category for posts. Pretty new to the whole lifestyle. So whether chicken **** is good for humanity or not is a new issue to me. If everyone is so against it...then I can flow....but what would you replace the 20 buckets I have strung all over with? Hay is not enough. Sweet feed is overpriced. ADVICE? 50 head of cattle at 10lbs a head. 5lbs is corn remember because its a 50/50 mix.

Just a note...ranchers wouldn't have been feeding their cattle this chicken byproduct if they hadn't ever seen results from it. Somehow nobody has ever heard of it actually producing results...whatever....I've seen them and the "go with the flow" phylosophy of mine makes me not want to upset this website too much. Your a great resource.

By the way...nothing ever taken personal here.

i actually agree with salycylic, omg. Longhorns arent by nature supposed to be fat. they are rangey animals. if you want good looking longhorns talk to Ryan, he is doing something right! another good suggestion was looking into the citrus pulp. another alternative is cottonseed. you shoudnt need to worry about it now though b/c the grass is coming on, assuming you arent overstocked. A recommedation i have is using minerals,it will allow the animals to better utilize the hay (and palmettos. yes, they will eat palmettos).

Bez":18mpzmr9 said:
there is spilled feed containing supplements that are ok for chickens, but bad for cows. Bez
Bez,
First of all, I am fully against feeding chicken litter to cows. But I want to know what supplements are in spilled chicken feed that or ok for chickens, but bad for cows?

tbase2000":1g4cf2y0 said:
If everyone is so against it...then I can flow....
What does that mean?
Hay is not enough.
Yes it is. Or at least it should be, assuming you don't have enough grass.
Sweet feed is overpriced.
Agreed, but that is our opinion. Longhorns do not need sweetfeed. Do some some research on the great American Longhorn, or the Florida Cracker for that matter. They are super effecient survivors that do not get "fat and sassy", but thrive on grass/hay forage.
Have you read this thread? Quit considering feeding chicken feces to your cattle. Reduce your herd numbers or get access to more grass/hay. "A smart cattleman always has more grass than he has cattle".
remember because its a 50/50 mix.
Remember - don't feed chicken crap to your cows.

Just a note...ranchers wouldn't have been feeding their cattle this chicken byproduct if they hadn't ever seen results from it.
Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Lyle Alzedo all saw "results" from their "program", but it doesn't mean that it was right.
Your a great resource.
Don't feed chicken crap to your cows.

By the way...nothing ever taken personal here.
Good. Don't feed your cows chicken crap.

tbase2000":1lw77jr5 said:
I am a small time rancher with 50 head of longhorns...who unlike some previous posts...doesn't like them to look thin. Hello...skinny cows are not asthetic to look at...whatever about the blood line...nobody is registered anyway. So my cows are in my best interest...unlike maybe some others who have posted here. Hay is not enough. Protein blocks make them eat forage from the woods...leaves palmedos...etc to whoever posted about that comment. When its winter and there is nothing to eat in the woods..why give the tubs of protein that make them eat what they cannot get. I have read so many post about "don't do it because its wrong". Maybe someone can throw me a bone and tell me what they would feed in Florida besides sweet feed to fatten up their cows. All can really go to >>> because as far as I know nothing is illegal about the manure feed. Does anyone even know if there are benifits to manure as feed our are you going on paranoid heresay. Dont slam me without some facts.
Thanks

If the hay is not enough to hold them through the winter, you may need to look at purchasing some better quality hay for next winter. If you are wanting to hold better condition you may consider just feeding about 3 lbs per head of corn (whole or rolled). This works for me, hope it works for you.

tbase2000":299ix26t said:
Thanks

I buy corn from a local farmer and have never paid more than $5/hundred. This will have a lot more energy than what you are talking about. If they need more protein try adding some Soy meal or cotton meal at 1 lb/ head. Even with the added soy meal or cotton meal it will be cheaper than the poop mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts