Chicken Manure as feed??

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning tbase2000. I am not from Florida so I can't answer what is the best thing to feed in your particular area. My suggestion - talk to a vet. They will tell you if your cows are in good condition and what you can do to get them in better condition. They can also tell you of any mineral shortages in your particlular area.
It has already been mentioned on here that Longhorns are a naturally thinner breed of cattle so maybe your cows are in their ideal condition. A good vet could tell you that.
We have fat cows. I read the posts about 3's and 4's being better than 6's too but I admit we overfeed. We have a lot of cows over 10 and a lot under 3 that need extra food so our middle cows really enjoy themselves. Our calves are always great in the fall and the buyers love them so I figure we do something right. We don't feed our cows extras; no sweet feed, oats or chicken manure here. Just some good quality hay and selenium mineral blocks. We don't have Longhorns though, we have the British breeds (some mixed with French breeds) that tend to be naturally rounder.
I wouldn't feed chicken manure for the reasons Bez was speaking about.
I hope you can find a different product that will help accomplish what you want to accomplish with your herd.

tbase2000":3thwlv6n said:
And sorry if your a mass beef herder who is worried about his sales to Canada.
This demonstrates a certain ignorance about this business that further convinces me that some people shouldn't even be involved. But, since you are-----

Hay is not enough. Protein blocks make them eat forage from the woods...leaves palmedos...etc to whoever posted about that comment. When its winter and there is nothing to eat in the woods..why give the tubs of protein that make them eat what they cannot get.
I wonder if your problem isn't entirely management related? Maybe you are overstocked? Seems to me that if your cows have enough hay or dried grass, they wouldn't have to eat leaves. Why don't you cut down on your numbers and try to make some money? Instead of keeping an inflated head count and having to find new ways to spend it? Did I mention that poor management could be a source of your problem?

Maybe someone can throw me a bone and tell me what they would feed in Florida besides sweet feed to fatten up their cows.
What's wrong with Bahia grass? Just how long is your growing season? Cows are basically supposed to feed themselves. That's where the money is made in this business. This is a statement from your opening post:

North Florida here. Over the winter we had a terrible time keeping our cows fat and sassy. We always have hay on hand, but without grazing grass it seems that the cows just lose weight. We didn't use protein tubs because there was nothing to forage on.
If you "always have hay on hand," a source of protein should make them eat it. There doesn't have to be something for them to actually forage on. Ideally, your hay would be of a quality that you wouldn't even have to supplement protein. Let me reiterate:

Cut down on your numbers, cut down on your problems!

Wewild":9d7yavm8 said:
Bez":9d7yavm8 said:
Do not know - do not use it.

We do use it on corn and soy beans - disc it in.

Do not want it on my pastures. Good stuff, but I am wary of it.

You have an answer to the question?

Bez

No I don't have an answer ..... but if there is a zero tolerance to this issue a lot of people have problems.

I would not feed it to my cattle .... but we have used it as fertilizer for many years. I wouldn't feed it for personal reasons but I feel our cattle have consumed some every time the pastures has been fertilized for the last 30+ years.
==============
Wewild,

At least we get an interesting point from this thread.
...."I feel our cattle have consumed some every time the pastures has been ferterlized".

I doubt that.......because it is not natural and I doubt if a cow would pick it up from the ground voluntarilty...oh ...maby if a clump of it landed in a grass pod and the animal bit off the complete pod..perhaps..but individual pieces on the ground...very seriously doubt it.

A grazing cow can often be seen ...raise their head and... bob or toss it with mouth opening and closing to spit put an item obviously accidently caught up in the grazing process.

They avoid their own excrement in the pasture ...thats why we have all those.... dark green high grass spots.... in the fields. A neighbor runs a rake over them once in a while...after a rain... the cows will graze it. With diesel @ $2.25...hummm ...see if he does it this year. The pay back can't be worth it.

Bovines are...well.....hoggish.... when it comes to their dry feed...they will run over you ..step on you..whatever... to get to it. Their eating process is much like a ...shovel in action...and they wouldn't notice the chicken poop someone mixes with it...unless the % was high enough to get their attention. The wild birds sit on the edge and ....poop....in our creep feeders...even the little guys will eat around it..creating a little mountin..until we clean it out.
Many years ago I knew a rancer who put 3-5% saw dust in his cows food...claiming.."good for ruffage".!!!!!!

Just because we have the greater mind to ..."deceive them...doesn' mean we should. G-d says we have dominion over them..not the right to abuse them. That's where..."discipline"... comes in.

Just don't do it.

What are your neighbors feeding? How many acres of pasture do you run on? Is it improved or un-improved?Just like Texan says, cut your numbers, cut headaches. You stated you have Palmettos, obviously they aren't running on a large pasture to cattle ratio... Let us know. I have friends down there with a 15,000 acre place and run about 700 head, they sure don't feed any chicken do-do. Sure has to be a mill down there with some reasonably priced feed. If you have 50 head, spend some $ and get em' in shape, or get out of the business.Heck as far as Longhorns go, they should be darned EZ keepers anyhow. One more thing, when were they last worked and wormed?

Preston, ole buddy, are you afraid to spell GOD on these posts? Drives me crazy! Spell it Out G-O-D. Spell it out or leave his name OUT.I'm off to Church now...

Bez":1qa2bwuu said:
preston39

You obviously missed my point completely - so that would make me a stupid contemporary parent.

Unless it becomes law there is nothing that can be done about it. I have already made my point in a previous post - you obviously missed it.

So, I will re-iterate.

We can always drive a guy away from this forum, but can we change how he operates?

Thoughts?

Bez
=============

Bez,

With due respect...you missed my point...which was;

No one did/said anything to drive anyone from the board. While we can't change how anyone operates...it is our obligation as a fellow human to attempt guidance where indicated. This is one of those areas. If we dont clean up our act then we will have more legislation to deal with....we have to much already.

PS. I never called anyone.."stupid". For clarification purposes...that includes you.

Unfortunately I have yet to figure out how to use the search feature efficiently. Several months ago this was just as hot a topic. If I remember correctly I believe it was Farminlund who posted segments from various studies or posted a link to studies on this subject.
I, personally, wouldn't feed reconstituted chicken poo to any of my livestock or any poo for that matter. As to Wewild's question regarding it as a fertilizer and consumption from it being used as such, I don't have a definitive answer, but, I can tell you what I have observed in my area when used by 2 other "cattlemen" in my area. They have spread it on thier pastures. They do it in a rotaional fashion. They sread one field, and wait about 2-3 weeks depending on rainfall, then open that field to the cattle and spread in another pasture and so on.
There are many alternatives to using manure as a feed, available. Different alternatives for different areas of the country. One just needs to look and/or ask around. Speak with feed dealers, grain operators, extension agents (those that actually know something) veterinarians, etc.
I'll "shut up" now.

Katherine

I don't consider myself as "being in business" since 50 head is pretty modest. If it were about money I'd pick a different breed. Some people ride Harleys and aren't bikers...I raise longhorns but am not a cowboy. This is our first year at this so the money will come in when we sell off the calves.
#1 problem is not enough pasture. A couple of people hit that on the nose. I have been clearing land and planting pasture...slow process. Bahia isn't growing yet here but the rye grass is still doing well. This is why I was trying to suppliment with sweet feed or whatever.

#2 problem is too many cows. We bought out a herd....need to sell some.

Whatever on the poor management comment. I've been busting my a-s tring to get things correct...clearing land...putting up fencing thru swamp land....dragging the 2 tons of feed bags all over every week. This isn't an inherited Green Acres here...definately mistakes have been made...

I'd show you my website...but then I've pretty muched ruined my reputation on the manure controversy.

Thanks for all of the advice...and no more poop I promise. :)

preston39":3qlui1wf said:
I doubt that.......because it is not natural and I doubt if a cow would pick it up from the ground voluntarilty...oh ...maby if a clump of it landed in a grass pod and the animal bit off the complete pod..perhaps..but individual pieces on the ground...very seriously doubt it.

Why do they sometimes pick up hardware ???? Doesn't seem that it would be natural either.

Wewild":36816b66 said:
preston39":36816b66 said:

Why do they sometimes pick up hardware ???? Doesn't seem that it would be natural either.

The size and shape of wire, and the fact that the end can be sticking up like a blade of grass, among the grass or hay, comes to mind.

greenwillowherefords":1nk7cldo said:
Wewild":1nk7cldo said:
preston39":1nk7cldo said:

The size and shape of wire, and the fact that the end can be sticking up like a blade of grass, among the grass or hay, comes to mind.

Sure that must be it .... cows all sort through their forage.

tubs, blocks. protein suplements. check the ingredients used in them remember that chickeen byproducts are not baneed from feed soures yet?!?! might not actualy say on the label.go to the company for the -real- list

They sure don't have chicken dung in em' I have heard of some having materials made from feathers in some. I just tried to download a Sweetlix label from their website (http://www.sweetlix.com) but I can't get the adobe file to translate to my computer. maybe one of you can try it, or another brands site. I'll check out a Sweetlix Label at work tomorrow.

tbase2000 - A Harley owner that makes mistakes with his Harley may damage the Harley but it is only a machine. A cattle owner that makes mistakes with their cows can cause distress and damage to living beings. Huge difference. Not saying that anyone is perfect but we do have the obligation to find out what is best for our animals and do it.

I wish you the best with your herd and I for one would like to see your website.
:)

I guess the important thing to consider as a cattle producer would be.. would you eat steak / hamburger / rump roast out of an animal that had consumed chicken litter? If you ask the "consumer", they'll tell you how they feel.

We had the same problem you're facing when we moved to Texas.. too many head, high priced feed. We fed out of a bag WAY too long.. lost a bunch of $$, and learned our lesson the hard way.

My suggestion would be the same as everyone elses.. sell some cattle until you get to a manageable herd. Once you get your place in shape, you can buy more if it will support them. With the price of cattle, why would you hesitate?

Crowderfarms":1mg7i0so said:
Preston, ole buddy, are you afraid to spell GOD on these posts? Drives me crazy! Spell it Out G-O-D. Spell it out or leave his name OUT.I'm off to Church now...

Crowderfarms,

Dear friend...maybe we need to provide you with a little international up date.

The Hebrew way to use the name G-d is because of the following;

"Why do we leave out the "o" when referring to G-d? According to Jewish tradition we do not write out the Creator's name in any language, unless as part of a printed book which we know will be preserved with dignity and treated as holy. Refraining from writing out His name is a sign of reverence and awe for the Creator. If this name were to be written out and then, the paper on which it was written would become lost or destroyed, or even if it was brought into an unclean place, this would be showing disrespect and it would be a desecration of His name.
Rabbi Richman"

As a Christian and Sunday School teacher....I try to learn as I go thru life.
Then I might be able to say that I am a better person today than I was yesterday. I invite everyone to make the same commitment.

Wewild":2cihgpcj said:
preston39":2cihgpcj said:

Why do they sometimes pick up hardware ???? Doesn't seem that it ould be natural either.
==============
Wewild,

Excellent point. Took a nail out of the jaw of one of out top cows 2 years ago....thus the..." hoggish".... point. Another one had a bale string three times around her tongue down her throat. Saw her throwing her head and trying to ...burp...regurgutate. Thus the ..."hoggish"...point.
But, here's the kicker...we didn't feed it to them on purpose.

preston39":3p2ogyuu said:
Wewild":3p2ogyuu said:

Why do they sometimes pick up hardware ???? Doesn't seem that it ould be natural either.
==============
Wewild,

Excellent point. Took a nail out of the jaw of one of out top cows 2 years ago....thus the..." hoggish".... point. Another one had a bale string three times around her tongue down her throat. Saw her throwing her head and trying to ...burp...regurgutate. Thus the ..."hoggish"...point.

You got nails and baling twine in with your dry feed????

Bovines are...well.....hoggish.... when it comes to their dry feed...they will run over you ..step on you..whatever... to get to it.

Wewild":1mizdsj7 said:
preston39":1mizdsj7 said:
Wewild":1mizdsj7 said:

==============
Wewild,

You got nails and baling twine in with your dry feed????

Bovines are...well.....hoggish.... when it comes to their dry feed...they will run over you ..step on you..whatever... to get to it.
============
Wewild,

Wish I knew....the string I am sure from the round bales...the nail....wouldn't venture a guess....could have been from many points...perhaps chewing on the fence boards some where. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts