Chianina

Help Support CattleToday:

poultryrancher

Reaction score
Tell me all you can about Chianinas. I've never seen a pure Chianina, just Chiangus at the county fair. Are Chianina mellow? As compared to like, Angus?

i delt with some chianina almost 30yrs ago.an they was as wild as wild can be.put he in the barn.an put the man that owned her up in a hay feeder.she was made as fire because we put a halter on her in the chute.as was turning her out so we could tie her up.well that was the last time i ever fooled with them.an i never did mess with her again.now they mayve calmed down alot over 30yrs.

I truly believe that the Chi disposition has evolved since these cattle have been brought to the US. I have had limited dealings with the fullbloods, but the ones that I have encountered have been calm and mellow. We run ChiX cattle that range from less than 10% up to 50% Chianina. There have been some crazy ones, that's how the cattle business goes, but I have noticed no correlation between % of Chianina and disposition issues.

It is darn hard to find a full blood Chi anymore in the US. They are still around in Italy. I was at the national junior maine anjou and chi show and I don't think I saw more than 2 or 3 natuallly colored Chi's (fyi Chi's are white haired with skin that is black pigmented) Like most breeds Chi's have gone black.

As for their temperment, they can be a bit "high strung". I haven't encountered one recently as bad as the one described earlier. However, I tend to find they do take a little more TLC to get in the groove of showing.

The fullblood Chis seem to be less competitive esp in the ring with their hybrid "cousins." Most of the fullbloods still in the states are in the Southwest, particularly in Texas. I'm surprised that any came to Kansas City for Junior Nationals. (btw - did you enjoy it? I was unable to attend this year b/c of being out of town and was quite disappointed to have to miss it....)

Full bloods I have seen were docile enough and pastured well. They are very long legged animals and your typical fence is kind of hillarious.

There were some on a ranch near Chalk Mountain. I haven't been by there in a while

was the blue ribbon steer at our fair, was a choc white face steer. donna

I raise Chainina Cattle both cross and the Fullblood Cattle. They are a great breed to work with especially the Fullbloods. I am currently getting my fullblood herd started. All of my cattle came from Texas. If anyone has any fullblood cattle please reply I would like to talk and see what you have to offer.

Thanks
Chris Howard
Kentuky

Latest posts