Raising Chianina

Help Support CattleToday:

Chianina

Reaction score
I know this breed is often crossed in the USA but anyone have experience with them full bred?

Pluses, minuses, etc?

Thanks

I don't know of anyone who raises them personally, and I haven't heard much discussion here.

Do you raise the cattle yourself, or are you just interested in raising them? They are beautiful cattle.

Purebreds: are mostly show cattle (small framed, large BW, very muscular, and grow a lot of hair. Most of the bulls below are Chi-influenced. Many have more chi than maine. These show well but give the breeds bad reps. as commercial breeds.
http://cattlevisions.com/club_calf_directory.php
Full bloods: I have never seen any in person but the pictures I have seen were like big white horses.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chianina

We raise the italian fullblood chianina. They do very well crossed on other breeds of cattle. The best cross we have found for the fullblood is on a shorthorn cow. We also raise a percentage herd of cows as well. We have been raising them for 30 years.
Thanks
Chris

Plus of the breed:
1. Calves will grow very fast.
2. Easy calving most of our calves weigh about 70lbs when born.
3. You do not have to creep feed.
Neg of the breed:
1. Most people have no clue about the breed.
2. Most of the percentage chi are poorly bred for working cattle.

It will be difficult to find any fullblood animals

It really doesn't make much difference what breed you are talking about, it getting more difficult to find purebred animals of many of the Continental breeds due to the Angus influence.

choward2955jd":3sfxv0cl said:
Plus of the breed:
1. Calves will grow very fast.
2. Easy calving most of our calves weigh about 70lbs when born.
3. You do not have to creep feed.
Neg of the breed:
1. Most people have no clue about the breed.
2. Most of the percentage chi are poorly bred for working cattle.
How do they milk compared to an Angus or Simmental?

Taurus":2ky03m56 said:
You have good chances find Chi-Angus cattle than fullblooded Chi but not too many Chi-Angus that are commercial type.

While you are correct that there are very few Fullblood Chianina breeders/cattle on the market. But once again your wrong Chiangus cows and bulls thrive in commercial situations. Also there is no hyphen in Chiangus.

Now to the original question positives and negatives of the breed and it's composites.
Fullblood/Purebred Chianina possess a frame and carcass that is generally not accepted in today's market. While once crossed preferably with an English breed you tend to see higher weaning and yearling weights that equate to more $'s. Generally Chi cows are long lived, fertile and milk adequately.

As with any breed there are producers that stress different qualities and attributes in their program. Do your homework decide on the direction that you wish for your program to go in the future then talk to a breeder that has the type of cattle you wish to produce. Mr Howard has different goals than I do. My operation is based upon marketing value added show prospects so my management and breeding decisions differ greatly than a breeder utilizing Fullblood genetics. My base cow herd is comprised of true Chiangus meaning only Chianina and Angus show in their pedigree. But they are mated to either Maine-Anjou or 3 way cross bulls. While I do breed several cows to Chiangus bulls on an annual basis that is not my main focus.
My cows live on fescue pasture and require little if any supplemental feeding in the winter. I do creep feed all my calves but that is due to the fact that I market show prospects in the fall.

Chi496":2uh3xcky said:
Taurus":2uh3xcky said:
You have good chances find Chi-Angus cattle than fullblooded Chi but not too many Chi-Angus that are commercial type.

While you are correct that there are very few Fullblood Chianina breeders/cattle on the market. But once again your wrong Chiangus cows and bulls thrive in commercial situations.
Once again, there are very few commercial ChiAngus if you compared them in numbers to the popular breeds.

I was asking because I was introduced to a few people in Italy and I like the meat very much having had it in Tuscany on many occasions.

Just wondering why such an excellent cut of meat wouldn't have a following with the foodies in NYC, LA and the other big cities.

It is a big cow with big cuts.

Well the problem was those nice Italian fellas dumped some of the worse semen they had on Canada and the US in the 70's and 80's, And by worse I mean by temperment. The early people in the US and Canada did not help any by not having a sharp knife and keeping any bull they had in tact trying to take advantage of limited supply at the time due to the emphasis at the time in the cattle business being on frame which is not the case now. I had some purebred Chianina bulls in the 90's and some were so gentle my dad could take his belt off and wrap around the bulls neck to show that the belt would not close and was bigger than 32 inches around and some I could scratch their heads and others that were crazier than any Brahman out there. Well Brahmans back then. Next thing that lead to the downfall is the Association which has to be the biggest group of idiots to ever run a registry. I don't care what the breed is the registry association has to recognize and promote the breed first not a composite or percentage. It would be if the Simmental Assoc. only promoted Simbrah or the Limo Assoc only promoted Limflex. No you have to promote Simmental first and Limo first and then secondarily the composites and percentages. Go to Chianina aassociation web page right now and see if you even see a pic of white fullblood Chianina on the site. Last time I checked they had what looked like a black angus on the front page. No breed can last with pushing only Chiangus in the beginning and then when that lost steam went straight to show stock which can win Chianina class with like 10% or 20 % Chianina blood. Can you imagine winning a Hereford class with an animal that was 80% something else. It is not even imaginable. So after all these screw ups Chianina got behind the eight ball when it comes to Continental's and now are in the position of having to prove like all others what can Chianina do that Char or Limo can't who have done allot better jobs of promoting their breed. They have to get past that hump of bigger gene pools and better access before they will ever take a foothold which I am guessing now they never will. They are in the same boat as Blonde's, Marky, Senepol, Maine's and all the others why should a commercial person go to those when they can easily go pick up a char or with a little work go pick up a limo.

I am not against the Chi breed I am a fan of it and used their bulls for a little under a decade. I think they clean up leather when bred to brahman % cows better than anything. And in the south I have always though that the key is to have as much Brahman in the momma that you can have and yet show as little Brahma in the calves and Chi's really do the job. THey also have less calving issues than other breeds that grow that large. The calves look like grey hounds when born and grow faster than any I have seen. THey are actually pretty heat and insect tolerant to and do not get pink eye. They slick off with the best of them in the summer. If I was 20 and had plenty of money and wanted to break the mold and do my own thing I think a 5/8 chi and 3/8 angus herd to produce bulls to be used in the south would take over the industry. But I am passed fighting the current and swim with the rest with my Angus bulls and Horned Hereford Bulls and have to settle with making a profit instead of introducing ground breaking genetics.

You are exactly correct. I raise Fullblood chianin and percentage chis. I have more calls for fullbloods than anything else. The chi cattle as they are called today in my opinion are no more than angus. The breed has lost its way when it come to cattle. If you want a club calf bull than this is the breed to look at but if you are like me and want working cattle and cattle for the feedlots they really dont have anything. I would question alot of the bulls and cows that are said tyo be chi. myself anyway. I dont think the association will ever make a comeback due to the heavy use of angus cattle.
I like chianina cattle and will always raise them but it is hard to market cattle that look like angus. My son has started a herd of herefords. I really like them they are old school and they look very modern today.

u4411clb

I don't care what the breed is the registry association has to recognize and promote the breed first not a composite or percentage.

This is becoming increasingly true of the other breed registries as well. Look at any sale catalog and you find very few purebreds available, it is mostly composite with varying amounts of Angus influence.

I was told by more than one previous board member of some of these registries that when they let the Angus influence be used, they set no standards as to the percentage, just that the breed of that association had to be a minimum of 25%. This move was all done in the name of greed, no set percentage other than the 25% meant more animals could be registered.

I agree, that a 5/8 x 3/8 cross would be ideal. Look at the success of the Brangus (especially), Santa Gertrudis and many one or two others that set the breed standard to the 5/8 x 3/8 cross.

Our feeling is that the breed registries should first and foremost promote and represent their respective breeds.

I agree I like the ANgus breed and yes they are good but you can find breeding problems and poor qualities in them as well as any other breed. I think it is bad when you go to the Ky Beef Expo or the North American and each breed looks the same. I will say the herefords are stayimg true to their breed. The chianina breed as it is called has very little tradition left. In my opinion they are going by the wind and the direction it follows which is not good.
There will come a point in time that all breeds will be related

Latest posts