Chianina

Help Support CattleToday:

I think a purebred herd of Chianina cattle would do well. No, they are not mainstream, but I have seen enough interest and threads dealing with people try to find purebreds, that there could well be a demand. That demand would be valuable if cattle are of good quality.

The 'key' would be using good quality cattle to start with.

I was around when they first were available. We even raised a few, up to 3/4 and 7/8 status. Much of the problem with early cattle was the lack of proper selection. People used what they could find. Many were of little quality and value.
Temperament was also a problem.

Still not a lot of cattle to choose from, but I would think in the era of IVF and flushing, that a breeder could reproduce a few good ones each year.

I remember an old joke about weaning Chianina calves from protective or hard to work cows.

Pen mommas and babies in an enclosure seven feet high with solid walls.

While standing in a safe place, throw an old metal feed bucket over the fence.

Cows will jump out, calves can't quite make it.

Calves are weaned. Problem solved.

Cbeck01":1wsfe262 said:
My Sims are pretty good size, most are dream on genetics. I really just want to try something new and I stumbled across an article on chi cattle and they were HUGE! It really intrigued me and I read that they can get up to 3800 Pounds. I thought I would ai one of my lower end sims and see what happens? All else fails I could just butcher it next yr, should be 2 yrs worth of beef!

Stop and think for a moment. Anything that is HUGE, by using logic and common sense, would require considerably more feed, pasture space, and finishing grain to bring to a finished product - thereby reducing your final profit at marketing time. By following through on your cost factors, is that a viable option for profit-making business? Maybe. But pencil is out before you ask what somebody else thinks about it!

DOC HARRIS

Finding a good source of quality commercial oriented Chi cattle is hard and not lot of Chi breeders in my state (Minnesota). Finding a source of good fullblooded Chi cattle is even more harder.

Every Chi or ChiAngus that I ever had to work with/on kicked the crap out of me - and they could reach you a LONG way off!