Checking Cows and Neighbours

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Got a phone call from the neighbour at our far pasture (2 hours away) last night. He said that the cows had wrecked a gate, and were in his pasture. Sounded like they had left them there, and left the gate the way it was :? . So we rushed up there early this morning, only to find that the neighbour HAD chased the cows out and kinda fixed up the gate. That was nice of him. So, since we rarely ever use that gate, we fenced it solid and put in a drop gate. That should do the trick. Now that the crisis was taken care of, we went off to check the cows. Most all of them look good. The bull that was limping 2 weeks ago is pretty near sound again, so that is a bonus. We already have one we need to send to town (but, that is another story). All was looking good, until we found a dead one :cry2: . I know, how it is, you can't have livestock without having dead stock, but it was quite a shock, and disappointment. One of our top, albeit older girls, laying there next to a water hole. Dead long enough for the coyotes to have her, and for her to start to smell, so we have no idea what happened. Could have been lightning, could have been a heart attack. Whatever the case, she is dead. Her calf, which was going to be a dandy, will have to wait until we get back up there in a couple weeks to pick up bulls, then, we will bring him home and put him on some better feed..

On a brighter note, here are a few that have their feet pointing in the right direction :D

A couple 1/2 sisters. Both are shorthorn sired
tn_DSC05242.jpg

A yearling full sister to the red one above
tn_DSC05243.jpg

A yearling and a couple of hereford sired heifers
tn_DSC05244.jpg

A couple cows, a couple calves. Don't think they are pairs. The red/white is our bull calf.
tn_DSC05246.jpg

A good Blue Roan cow and her calf. Maybe next year's 4H steer?? This is the dam of THIS year's 4H steer.
tn_DSC05248.jpg

And finally a couple of content pairs.
tn_DSC05249.jpg

Randi,

You have such nice looking animals. I always enjoy seeing pics of them. Sorry about the bad luck...

Alice

those are some nice looking calves.its no fun when the cows get out.esp of you dont live close to where they are.

Thanks everyone. I like my cows too :lol:

The grass is mostly Crested Wheat. There will be some Quack Grass and the rest is native stuff. Not sure what the exact names for it are.

Latest posts