Chased by a cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Andrew

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a cow that has chased us twice. She is a red angusxbrahma cross. She seemed pretty shy and harmless until she calved. She doesn't chase me unless someone is by my side, then she chases me.

I plan to get rid of her as soon as she covers the hip bones.

Is this kind of behavior normal? I have 13 other cows and 5 with calves and none has ever done this.

Anyway I can discourage it?

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew":rlr1jrsn said:
Hi,
I have a cow that has chased us twice. She is a red angusxbrahma cross. She seemed pretty shy and harmless until she calved. She doesn't chase me unless someone is by my side, then she chases me.

I plan to get rid of her as soon as she covers the hip bones.

Is this kind of behavior normal? I have 13 other cows and 5 with calves and none has ever done this.

Anyway I can discourage it?

Thanks,
Andrew

Somewhat normal behaviour. Consider what your mother would do if she percdeived a threat to her child.

Id she doesn;t settle down after a couple of days or a week, the surest way of solving the problem would leave you raising an orphan calf and trying to dispose of a body. If she doesn;t settle down she needs to grow wheels. Believe it or not, there are places where a cow like that works just fine.

dun

dun":2k0tuxyi said:
Id she doesn;t settle down after a couple of days or a week, the surest way of solving the problem would leave you raising an orphan calf and trying to dispose of a body. If she doesn;t settle down she needs to grow wheels. Believe it or not, there are places where a cow like that works just fine.

dun

Ahhh...the blessed hot lead solution.

We've got a few like that. Excellent cows, not crazy, just protective for the first few days after calving. I don't hold it against them as long as they get over it fairly quickly.

D.R. Cattle":32xnxtnn said:
We've got a few like that. Excellent cows, not crazy, just protective for the first few days after calving. I don't hold it against them as long as they get over it fairly quickly.

That's why I said a couple of days to a week. I've seen cows with 500# calves that were still nuts. After the calves were weaned they were calm as could be, until they calved again.
The bad part is accidentlly spooking her into attack mode while you're checking on something else and she's out of your mind. A case of BT-DT

dun

If you're going to keep her till her calf weans and you've got a decent arm you just make sure you've always got a couple of fist-sized rocks anytime you're going to be around her. The minute she gets within effective range try to knock her brains out. She's too wild to wait until she's in stick range. A lot of times a cow will keep her distance after a few knots on her head.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":axk7a0o5 said:
If you're going to keep her till her calf weans and you've got a decent arm you just make sure you've always got a couple of fist-sized rocks anytime you're going to be around her. The minute she gets within effective range try to knock her brains out. She's too wild to wait until she's in stick range. A lot of times a cow will keep her distance after a few knots on her head.

Craig-TX

HAHAHA I thought I was the only one that did that :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice to know I'm not alone

Andrew,
You said she chases you when someone is with you but not when you are alone? Then she is accepting of you but other people she sees as a threat. Just tell them to stay back. She will probably simmer down after a while. I am curious-is the other person that sets her off a male or female?

any cow that acts like that on my ranch will get a trip to what aburger and she is not getting free fries. most of my cows when the calve will let me put tags in the calves and vac them. we run about 100 head and they are all this way. i am to old for acow to roll me around.

endebt":3h9itw3v said:
any cow that acts like that on my ranch will get a trip to what aburger and she is not getting free fries. most of my cows when the calve will let me put tags in the calves and vac them. we run about 100 head and they are all this way. i am to old for acow to roll me around.

Boy I can relate on to old to be rolled around I with you they only fight me once.

certherfbeef":23bfwv6j said:
Craig-TX":23bfwv6j said:

Craig-TX

HAHAHA I thought I was the only one that did that :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice to know I'm not alone

I know a guy that did that to a bull.....and the bull dropped dead! :shock: :cboy:

I have some cows that will let you tag and play with their calves. I have others that are content on hurting you if you get near the calf. after about a week after calving they are back to their normal calm self. if it continues shes gotta go.

`i have to agree i have one or two that will paw and shake thier heads, but they don't do much more. a few days and they are calm again. i do put mom up in a pen to work the calf, just to be safe. if i had to run i would be getting the trailer hooked up.

Latest posts