Chased by a cow

Help Support CattleToday:

I weigh newborn calves with the cows a few feet away. Always keep a weather eye on them, but never had a problem with the mothers allowing me to weigh the calves.

Sounds mean, but when we have to deal with cows calving, we never go into the pens without a long-handled pitchfork. Canes have a tendancy to snap at the most inopportune moments and leave you with a really short ended stick.

She/he who has the biggest horns (me & Honey) invariably wins, and we've only ever had to prick ornery cows once on the nose to gain their respect (I appreciate not being six feet under or in a wheel chair, and so does my family).

They might paw, beller and blow snot afterwards, but it's always from a respectful distance after they've been "educated" once. Works like a charm, especially when you've got to drag a calf on a sled in the middle of a March snowstorm up to the barn by yourself in the dead of the night.

Take care and stay safe.

Hello Ryder,
To answer your question, it only chased my wife once and me when I was with my daughter. I never does anything to me when I'm alone or with another male. It never bothers the guy that delivers and sets up the hay.

I never thought about it but I wonder if this crazy cow has something against women. My daughter is only six, however.
Next time I see her, I plan of having an electric prod and shocking the chasing out of her. Of course, I'll be in the back of the pick up.

Her bull calf is the best I've ever seen. Its red and has grown extremely fast in the two months since he was born. He was also very tiny when he was born so I think he has good genetics. Unfortunately, I think he may inherit the disposition problem. Currently he's shy and has a big flight zone.

Thanks,
Andrew

dun":2x7ic2zs said:
Did I read this right that it's been going on for 2 months?

dun
If it has and she hasn't settled down yet,the market for pairs is too good to put up with that noise. Especially to risk her running over your six year old.

Her bull calf is the best I've ever seen. Its red and has grown extremely fast in the two months since he was born. He was also very tiny when he was born so I think he has good genetics. Unfortunately, I think he may inherit the disposition problem. Currently he's shy and has a big flight zone

I know you are not going to like this, but now - repeat now, is the time to toss both of these animals. I know it is my opinion only, but the calf is what got me thinking.

You keep him around as he grows and there will be genetics passed into the herd, and probably more trouble.

Young kids and aggressive animal do not mix well. Having seen my daughter under a tractor once - many years ago - to get away from a neighbours bull - well, I was glad it was a big tractor.

Regards

Bez

Is this normal? You have 13 other cows and 5 calves, and they dont chase you around the pasture, so I would say this is definately not normal. Myself, as you would surely feel, would be devistated if my kiddoe got hurt because I kept an unrulely cow. Ain't no cow worth that much!

in my opinion electric prods make the situation worse. it really un-nerves them. i have a friend who uses one all the time and his cattle are nuts, i bought some from him and by the time he loaded and unloaded they were nuts. after some time and patience now i back the trailer up and they jump in with only a show stick in my hand and i don't have to hit them. the calf will be like mom because you will not get close enough to work with him.

Something about small kids seems to freak out certain cows. I had a Brahman that was really aggressive if there were kids in the pasture... she is in someone else's field now.

I've still got a couple that will really watch kids, but I've never figured out why they seem a threat. I've sometimes wondered if it's because kids jump around and move more erratically than older folks, and they don't like the quick movement.

I think the BullLady is right about the sudden movements of kids is what the cows don't like.

I agree with most of the other posters, if this has been ongoing for 2 months you need to ship the pair. One cow can teach the rest of the herd bad habits. Even if the cow doesn't try to fight you ( she's high headed, hard to pen, runs from you all the time, etc, ) she can be a bad influnce on the rest of the herd.

IMHO no cow or calf ( I don't care how good/fine/productive ) is worth taking a chance with them hurting me or my loved ones.
;-)

She will go to the sale barn along with her calf.
Thanks for the replies. I knew it couldn't possibly be normal for a cow to chase people like that unless your are a rodeo clown. I've only been doing this for less than a year and have a lot to learn. Before that I'd never even seen a cow up close.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew

Do you know any rodeo stock contractors in your area? She (and a potentially aggressive bull calf) may be right up their alley. I have sold a couple of "high-headed" aggressive heifers to local stock contractors for fair market price, and didn't have to mess with loading, hauling, commissions, etc. One man's problem may be another man's ideal. ;-)

Regarding cows not liking children I found that to be true when my kids were young. Saw a National Geographic about Africa and one thing they showed was children walking around with an object on their head to make them appear taller. The show said it was to protect them from predators. Seems that it is the shortness of children that cows find threatening. Tried this putting something on their heads and it seemed to work. As soon as my children got tall enough that their eyeballs were higher than the cows they started not being agressive toward them. Anyway when my kids were young I never let them out in the pasture by themselves.

We noticed the same thing here, with regards to small children and cattle. I've often wondered if it's because the cattle perceive them as being similar to predators due to height...

Take care

If you're going to keep her till her calf weans and you've got a decent arm you just make sure you've always got a couple of fist-sized rocks anytime you're going to be around her. The minute she gets within effective range try to knock her brains out. She's too wild to wait until she's in stick range. A lot of times a cow will keep her distance after a few knots on her head.

I have a neighbor whose 11 y/o son has used that tactic...he tells me the bull was acting a little aggressive once, and he hit the bull between the eyes with a rock and knocked him over. I can't throw that well; I carry a pitchfork.

Two years ago the speckled face cow almost got me. We were feeding hay and i was walking around as usual looking the cows over while dad rolled out the last round bale. for no apparent reason, a calf (not even hers) bawled and i wasnt even very close to it, and no where near her calf, but nontheless she planned on running me over. It was sudden and i knew that if i tried to get away i was toast so i started yelling like a raving lunatic and ran AT HER. i won the game of chicken. when i got about a foot from her she ran away with a shocked look on her face, like "what the ...?" Anyway, she is only like that about a week after she calves but we all know to look out for her now. I dont suggest running at your cow like a raving lunatic, however.

Beefy":2rggf9sq said:
I dont suggest running at your cow like a raving lunatic, however.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I guess I won't "suggest" it, but I have been seen on occasion "playing chicken" with a cow or young bull. Sometimes it is better to run towards them than to run away!

We rode out and looked at the neighbor's herd yesterday--who aren't used to horses in THEIR pasture, them cows come a runnin' to check us out or run us off. I say "better turn the horses and have a look" Boy those heads went up :shock: eyeballs wide--I smile and say "better go at 'em to slow 'em down" Then all creatures settled down. Had we turned to run, we would have only gained momentum for us and the herd.

Yes, I found the cow. It turns out the cow was on a neighboring unfenced pasture. My neighbor was nice enough to call a cowboy friend of his and for $50 he lassoed her and brought her back with a new calf!!!
I plan to sell her as soon as I can since I am weary of a cow that gets out.
I guess I have two pairs to sell now.

Thanks for asking and I appreciate the feedback. Been learning a lot on this board.

Happy new year!
Andrew

Latest posts