Chased by a cow

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady":34s1gzhn said:
Something about small kids seems to freak out certain cows. I had a Brahman that was really aggressive if there were kids in the pasture... she is in someone else's field now.

I've still got a couple that will really watch kids, but I've never figured out why they seem a threat. I've sometimes wondered if it's because kids jump around and move more erratically than older folks, and they don't like the quick movement.
Yes, on Christmas day, my cows chased my three year old niece up and down the fence when she went to take pictures of them, but when I got beside her, they quit.

andrew, the brahma part of your cow is coming out. they are more protective of their calves. the key to your question is when someone is with you. brahmas do not like strangers. they seem to be one person cattle.

I had a close encounter a few days ago with a VERY protective Brangus cow, while walking back to camp from the deer stand. She had a young calf hidden in the brush, which I didn't see until it was too late. The cow came after me at almost a full gallop and seemed determined to turn me into mincemeat. Luckily, there was a large oak tree nearby that I was able to get behind while the cow seethed. Ultimately the calf got up and scampered off, at which point I gave the cow a little charge and foot stomp of my own, and she followed her calf. For a minute there I thought I might have to bag the biggest and most expensive "doe" ever shot on that ranch! :lol: I'm just real thankful that encounter happened in broad daylight in the late morning and not while I was walking to or from the stand during darkness.

Update on "the speckled face cow":
Speck lost her calf (full term, dont know what happened) this year so we sent her away to live in the town. she weighed 1105 and brought 54/cwt. she also showed her fanny in the ring and is still crazy as a loon. she will be missed.

Arnold Ziffle":b0malk10 said:
I had a close encounter a few days ago with a VERY protective Brangus cow, while walking back to camp from the deer stand. She had a young calf hidden in the brush, which I didn't see until it was too late. The cow came after me at almost a full gallop and seemed determined to turn me into mincemeat. Luckily, there was a large oak tree nearby that I was able to get behind while the cow seethed. Ultimately the calf got up and scampered off, at which point I gave the cow a little charge and foot stomp of my own, and she followed her calf. For a minute there I thought I might have to bag the biggest and most expensive "doe" ever shot on that ranch! :lol: I'm just real thankful that encounter happened in broad daylight in the late morning and not while I was walking to or from the stand during darkness.

That's one of the disadvantages of solid black cattle. You can't see them in the dark!

Latest posts