charolais heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren":r64ynnwi said:
better idea - go to your salebarn and see which sells better, the yellow calves or the smoky calves

Breed accordingly ;-)
He also said that he already has "too much ear" in his herd.

I guess it depends on whether he plans to retain the calves or not. I figure, if the smokey calves sell better and he's intending to sell the calves, than who cares if the brangus has more ear than desired, the charry will fix that up.

Different story if he is planning to retain the calves.

robert":1k49u111 said:
mnmtranching":1k49u111 said:
I wouldn't mess around. Breed them to a Angus red or black. 70 pound birth weight.
You will have a good doing very marketable product.

but what color will the calves be??? :lol:

Calves will show the Charolais. Red cross will be light red to white. Black crosses will be mostly a very light smokie, not to be confused with gray, and likely a light red one once in a while and even some white ones with dark noses.

I really like the char x red poll but since that isn't an option for you........... go with the hereford.

Around here gold colored, black baldies and solid black calves seem to sell evenly.

mnmtranching":ci4gm80i said:
robert":ci4gm80i said:
mnmtranching":ci4gm80i said:
I wouldn't mess around. Breed them to a Angus red or black. 70 pound birth weight.
You will have a good doing very marketable product.

but what color will the calves be??? :lol:

Calves will show the Charolais. Red cross will be light red to white. Black crosses will be mostly a very light smokie, not to be confused with gray, and likely a light red one once in a while and even some white ones with dark noses.

Are you sure? Would you like to poll the audience or phone a friend? Final answer? :)

ok guys thanks for all your input. still not sure which one to use haha but guess i will have to choose soon enough

Latest posts