Charolais Bull - Cresus

Help Support CattleToday:

I think West of Ireland, thats where they're selling his straws atleast.
And yes im considering using him at some point so i,
wanted some opinions on him since im new to breeding and what traits are
desireable for what purpose so on and so forth.

Fat, muscular, big bone. Masculine bull with good long strides, easy movement. Seems correct structurally. I am no fan of such big bone, because of the calving problems associated with it, and perhaps not a fan of the char breed either, but apart from that,this seems is a good bull, and he can not help that I prefer blonde dacuitaines.

whew boy ....thats a lotta bull....I remember a long time ago when Limousin"s had body's like that with a small birthweight.....

there are some nice char bulls here in the states i really like lt bluegrass and baldridge fastrack both lots of ce and maternal qualities David

You are not planning on using him on your heifer (atleast the first time around) are you?

Gabby,

If you are wanting to raise show heifers, I don't think he is the bull to use....

There will probably be a lot of calving problems with him also. He is super big boned.

deenranch":1gxrwd03 said:
Gabby,

If you are wanting to raise show heifers, I don't think he is the bull to use....

There will probably be a lot of calving problems with him also. He is super big boned.

Gabby-

I agree with deenranch with his thoughts concerning this bull. I suggest that you refrain from having your head so far in the clouds with your beautiful heifer that you can't see the potential problems which may occur by using this humongously large-boned bull. There are more factors to consider in the mating of these two animals than just size and potential show-quality progeny. There is no question that this bull is a spectacular Terminal sire candidate, and there is no question that your heifer is a beautiful and delightful Charolais Show Heifer, but the progeny from the mating of these two animals could cause you major problems!

...and maybe not.

But give a lot of thought to the physiology and anatomy of both the animals, and know what you are doing before you decide.

DOC HARRIS

He is a good looking bull, but may not be good to use on a heifer.

I looked on the website but could not find anything on the bulls birthweight or calving ease.
It would be good if you could get that kind info on him.
If he has a decent birthweight and calving ease it would not hurt. But very few bulls are built like him with low birth weights, but they do exists the problem is finding them.

From her heifer thread.

gabbyellepaige":2jpjm9xj said:
she will be two months pregnant on the 15th of june, so excited!!

Looks like she has the heifer bred already. Maybe she's just planning ahead for the next one.

Gabby,

Not much is known about this bull- no performance data, pedigree or EBVs yet. We don't even have a registration number to check him out with. From the looks of him he is designed to compete in the sucker beef market in Ireland where they will tolerate harder calving bulls than what we would in North America. I would wait until he has calves on the ground for a number of years before considering using him.
If a Full french bull is what you want to use; watch out, a few bulls work, many do not.
For cows only NOT calving ease:
Icare: http://www.genesdiffusion.com/Charolais ... 7193116802
Jumper: http://www.genesdiffusion.com/Charolais ... 8894104162
My pick for use on your soon to be cow for a 2nd calf:
Panay: http://www.genesdiffusion.com/Charolais ... 8552394134
Note Panay's sire Impair was a $ 130 vial bull. He did good things for Rosso Charolais: Look at new horizon: http://www.charolaisbanner.com/rosso/newhorizon.htm

Gabby, the bull hasn't got the balance we like to see here in the third world. He looks like its a cut and paste job of three different bulls. The front third looks like one bull, the middle piece looks like a completely different bull and the rear third again looks like it belongs to yet another bull. Watching him walk, you'll see that he oversteps his front tracks with his back feet, whilst a touch more set isn't detrimental out in the pasture, you need a sire of a potential show calf to be pretty close to perfect in this regard.

gabbyellepaige":1xxu0w6i said:
Ive checked out the sligo ai website where this bull is from and their limousins
are quite similar.
http://www.sligoai.com/html/limousin.html

I looked there too; now that you posted the link. I noticed that the breeds we use to call TERMINAL differ in phenotype from the breeds we call MATERNAL.
The terminals have great amounts of muscle, and does not have to have great maternal numbers, because they are terminal.
There are several nice terminal sires on the site, among them a nice blonde.
Notice that char in general have much bigger bone than other breeds, wich in my world means more birth difficulties.

This bull mated to framy simmental cows would make perfect sucklers cows. Europ E+ 1 and 2.5kg/day. That is the key for profitable beef production in Europe.

P.A.L":fwzfed2m said:
This bull mated to framy simmental cows would make perfect sucklers cows. Europ E+ 1 and 2.5kg/day. That is the key for profitable beef production in Europe.
:nod:

I still have nightmares on the first Char bull we dealt with. I wore out a set of chains pulling pallet headed calves.
We were stupid back then never even heard of an epd. That huge headed thing was a trainwreck looking to happen on those 800 pound salt grass cows.

Caustic Burno":o64demys said:
I still have nightmares on the first Char bull we dealt with. I wore out a set of chains pulling pallet headed calves.
We were stupid back then never even heard of an epd. That huge headed thing was a trainwreck looking to happen on those 800 pound salt grass cows.
alot of folks did the same,, thats what put the stereotype of cowkillers on em

Latest posts