Charolais Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Make a great terminal calf on top of braford or brangus F1.
One of the top sellers at sale barn when crossed with angus.

Being a Charolais breeder I would have to say their a good breed of cattle. There is good in almost every breed of cows. Using the right Charolais bulls on other breeds has benefits i.e weaning weights. Weight=money
And when you sell those culls they will weight out and bring in more money.
IMO Charolais cattle are the best!!!!!!!

The bad points to them would be that you need to watch some of the bloodlines for problems just as any other breed.

Contrary to popular belief, the Charolais cow (or cross) is one of the most lower maintenance cows:

optimumcow_table1.gif

We have 5 Charolais/Beefmaster cross heifers. They are some of the best I have ever bought. Wish I had about 10 more.

Either the steer calves we get are culled because of their looks and/or because of their dispositions, or you guys are off your rockers! :lol:

Personally, with MY experience with charolais cattle, I have a lot more cons than pros.

Cons:
High-strung
Cagey
Ornery
Bound to run off in a stampede if you make a sudden move or are careless
Kickers
Had one pass out in the squeeze 'cause he was makin a huge fuss over nothin
They get stupid sometimes too

Pros:
Big, meaty
Good weight to get some $$$ off them.

Go ahead you char-lovers, chew me up!! :lol: ;-)

ABbeef, I thought the fact was established from the "I Found 3 Bulls Thread" that what you have ARE culls. Not indicative of the breed, or crosses thereof.

P1010014.jpg
P1010036-1.jpg
[/IMG]
Here's what char will do. Lead yellow cow(half char, half braford) is dam of angus sired heifer. If they don't make money, I'm going broke.

ga. prime":3dldhd3q said:
ABbeef, I thought the fact was established from the "I Found 3 Bulls Thread" that what you have ARE culls. Not indicative of the breed, or crosses thereof.

OUCH!

Charolais bulls will color your calves right and give you growthy, high selling calves as feeders. I dont care for pure charolais cows. Pure white calves will not sell as well as feeders.

MIke, I'm not trying to break AB down, but what I gathered from the 3 bull threads is that she just takes pot luck on a delivery of weanlings. What you get in that mix could be anything-though I suspect mostly what somebody else didn't want. Further, I don't mean to say that there's anything wrong with that. Somebody has to grow out the culls. And there's probably as much money in that as any other aspect of the cattle biz. I'm just saying that what she has can't be used as exemplars of the char breed.

ga. prime":9r26cg0o said:
MIke, I'm not trying to break AB down, but what I gathered from the 3 bull threads is that she just takes pot luck on a delivery of weanlings. What you get in that mix could be anything-though I suspect mostly what somebody else didn't want. Further, I don't mean to say that there's anything wrong with that. Somebody has to grow out the culls. And there's probably as much money in that as any other aspect of the cattle biz. I'm just saying that what she has can't be used as exemplars of the char breed.

Oh, I agree with you 100%.

I wanted to say the same thing but didn't...................

You were much more diplomatic than my words would have been. :lol:

MikeC":18hoi8fs said:
ga. prime":18hoi8fs said:

Oh, I agree with you 100%.

I wanted to say the same thing but didn't...................

You were much more diplomatic than my words would have been. :lol:

So if you DID say the same thing, then what WOULD've you said? ;-)

Oh I know we're at the mercy of the seedstockers who want to get rid of them culls due to looks and temperment, can't do anything about that (unless we entirely change the whole herd from a backgrounding operation to a cow-calf one)...and of course, the char "trouble-makers" we've had in the past are, I guess I could say, a part of the reason why I "discriminate" the char breed like I do.

edit: and ga.prime, you didn't break me down one bit! :D

Hello, just thought i'd put my 2 cents in. We have had angus hereford, gert, brangus @ have a char right now. Got good calfs from him, some pretty calm, some not so. But the more you are around them and fooling with them the better they get what i have seen in most cases.

ga. prime":8anc4ad5 said:
[ Here's what char will do. Lead yellow cow(half char, half braford) is dam of angus sired heifer. If they don't make money, I'm going broke.

like the front & back one in that pic

Well I gotta be honest I dont think charolais are very good breed due to their extensive calving problems and thats one of the reasons they aren't as popular as they used to be I would only consider using them for crossing and thats it and I hadnt heard to much about the cows being good mothers

My father owns one charolais crossed cow. She is high headed and is the only one that's tried to kick me. However, I've been in pens with several Charolais bulls that have great dispositions. I think a Charolais bull with a good dispostion is a profit maker.

That Char crossed cow keeps very good condition and has the best phenotype of any of our cows. She also raises a great calf. Part of that may be attributed to her red angus mother. Either way, I think it's a profitable cross.

Latest posts