Char Influence

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":dzsl098u said:
True Grit Farms":dzsl098u said:
callmefence":dzsl098u said:
I agree 100 percent.

My end goal for my permanent herd would ideally be f1 tigers and Victorias
Well get there someday.
What cross is a Victorias cow? I think my best calf came from a smokie Char, and I know my worst calf came from a smokie Char. They were both sale barn cows so I don't know how they were bred.

Victoria is a f1 tiger(braford) x Hereford.
So 3/4 herford 1/4 Brahman. I've got some calves hitting the ground right now. I'll get some pics if I can get home before freaking dark.

Where did you get your Victorian cattle?

Brute 23":yu6w03rc said:
callmefence":yu6w03rc said:
True Grit Farms":yu6w03rc said:
What cross is a Victorias cow? I think my best calf came from a smokie Char, and I know my worst calf came from a smokie Char. They were both sale barn cows so I don't know how they were bred.

So 3/4 herford 1/4 Brahman. I've got some calves hitting the ground right now. I'll get some pics if I can get home before freaking dark.

Where did you get your Victorian cattle?

I didn't get any... I'm running a f1 bull on Hereford cows. Got a few calves on the ground.....all steers of course.lol

Dave":1l2xyqih said:
I went to the sale and watched the neighbors calves sell. They were a penny or two off the top of the market that day but the extra pounds more than made up for that when it came to dollars in his pocket.

And that's where the advantage usually shows up.the extra lbs.

gcreekrch":19lpbgwx said:
Cattle look great Randi. We are in Charolais bull buying mode now too.

The rats we have ended up with occasionally have been from Simmental cows and black angus bulls. The right crossbred cow mated to some Char bulls will produce a tight haired calf but not a true rat.

An old friend loved those grey cows, they were once very cheap and always had a red calf when crossed with Limo bulls.
This is the first year I didn't get a rat ,out of my old Simmental cows.angus sired..the couple that usually do,both had black heifers...and first time they even had blacks...and both have been pumping out for about 25 years..ill go to my grave never figuring this thing out.. :cboy:

greybeard":1fuachva said:
Dave":1fuachva said:
I went to the sale and watched the neighbors calves sell. They were a penny or two off the top of the market that day but the extra pounds more than made up for that when it came to dollars in his pocket.

There's no dock on the yellow, smoke,grey, whatever calves here. I think they tend to do very well when stockered out on just grass. There's plenty of black hides for those who want that. ....the cream rise's to the top...lol

Always liked Charx calves. If sired by a good bull, heifers can make great cows. Plenty of milk, easy calving and calves are growing well. Of course, they'll be bigger cows than other breeds, but for somebody, who aren't against bigger cows, they can be real money makers.

ALACOWMAN":32w4lxde said:
gcreekrch":32w4lxde said:
Cattle look great Randi. We are in Charolais bull buying mode now too.

The rats we have ended up with occasionally have been from Simmental cows and black angus bulls. The right crossbred cow mated to some Char bulls will produce a tight haired calf but not a true rat.

An old friend loved those grey cows, they were once very cheap and always had a red calf when crossed with Limo bulls.
This is the first year I didn't get a rat ,out of my old Simmental cows.angus sired..the couple that usually do,both had black heifers...and first time they even had blacks...and both have been pumping out for about 25 years..ill go to my grave never figuring this thing out.. :cboy:

Half rat.
image share

The info I have on rat tails is that they don't put on weight as the others but only on winter, in hot climates they tend to do better than non rat tails due to less hair.

I have never seen a rait tail come out of a charolais/angus cross, but plenty on simmental/black crosses

lithuanian farmer":3rxgp16w said:
Always liked Charx calves. If sired by a good bull, heifers can make great cows. Plenty of milk, easy calving and calves are growing well. Of course, they'll be bigger cows than other breeds, but for somebody, who aren't against bigger cows, they can be real money makers.
Just a simple example of a Charx cow with a calf sired by another breed. The cow is 10years old. The calf is 6 months old heifer. Don't plan about weaning her until spring...
DSCF3052.jpg

Never had any rat tailed calves, even if have used Charolais quite alot.

greybeard":256l4s7t said:
callmefence":256l4s7t said:
True Grit Farms":256l4s7t said:

Get a little shorthorn in with that.........
;)

Well yes sir.. then put the char bull in and holy smokes look at that hiefer calf....

callmefence":20q3fy6c said:
greybeard":20q3fy6c said:
Dave":20q3fy6c said:

There's no dock on the yellow, smoke,grey, whatever calves here. I think they tend to do very well when stockered out on just grass. There's plenty of black hides for those who want that. ....the cream rise's to the top...lol

I literally talking a penny or two. If steers were $1.50-1.60 that day, his sold for $1.58-1.59. There was 3,000 feeder calves there that day. The vast majority of them were black hided. So his char cross calves brought more per pound than the majority of other calves no matter there color. Very few calves here become stockers. Pretty much just the dinks under 500 pounds.

Dave":2nmspn01 said:
callmefence":2nmspn01 said:
greybeard":2nmspn01 said:

I literally talking a penny or two. If steers were $1.50-1.60 that day, his sold for $1.58-1.59. There was 3,000 feeder calves there that day. The vast majority of them were black hided. So his char cross calves brought more per pound than the majority of other calves no matter there color. Very few calves here become stockers. Pretty much just the dinks under 500 pounds.

That's interesting I... almost all calves here become stockers.

Two years ago, our tan steers brought $100 more than the same weight reds, blacks were behind that. Last year we saw $50 more. Probably close to the same this year.

Muddy":2bpnwy23 said:
Randi, have you done some Shorthorn x Char crosses?

Yes, a lot of our cows are 50% or more Shorthorn

The lead one is out of a 50% SS XAN cow. Not sure f the back one.
FB-IMG-1545975085862.jpg

Same for this guy
FB_IMG_1546064042753.jpg

Mother is Shorthorn x, not sure how much though
IMG-4017-800x618.jpg

gaurus":2c6v5ece said:
The info I have on rat tails is that they don't put on weight as the others but only on winter, in hot climates they tend to do better than non rat tails due to less hair.

I have never seen a rait tail come out of a charolais/angus cross, but plenty on simmental/black crosses

That half rat calf I posted is out of a registered Angus bull and a Charbray cow.

Caustic Burno":1c8100q9 said:
gaurus":1c8100q9 said:

That half rat calf I posted is out of a registered Angus bull and a Charbray cow.
If I remember correctly, M5Farm gotten some rattails out of Black Angus bull and a Charx cow (possibly a charbray?). I know some folks on this board has rattails from the blk x Char matings. It's just most modern simmentals in United States didn't carries the dilutor gene anymore.

Latest posts