Brahman/Zebu Influence of Sire/Dame

Help Support CattleToday:

gaurus

Reaction score
is it me or a Taurine bull(Char/Lim/Angus) on a Brahman cows produce better looking calves than a cross of Brahman bull(AI) on Taurine cows? seems like if the bull is Zebu the calves take after him more than their dame

True or not?

pdfangus":18xdz4q1 said:
takes generations of selection to get cross breds to breed true
I agree, but.. I was talking about the F1s, to me the calves with taurine(continental, british) sire will have less ears and smaller/No hump, but that could be me since I have seen very few Brahman sired F1s, but the ones I have look very much Zebu

Brute 23":3oublslu said:
I think breeding continental bulls to Brahman cows makes for better F1s. I've never been impressed with Brahman bulls over the continental cows.

I would like to thank you for your input, I guess that you are referring to the overall productivity of the terminal F1 feeders right?

gaurus":d9rsjqqm said:
Brute 23":d9rsjqqm said:
I think breeding continental bulls to Brahman cows makes for better F1s. I've never been impressed with Brahman bulls over the continental cows.

I would like to thank you for your input, I guess that you are referring to the overall productivity of the terminal F1 feeders right?

Not quite. We dont use Brahman bulls for F1, terminal feeders... mainly for female replacements. We take those F1 females and breed them back to a bull of a different breed to make terminal calves.

Brute 23":2l12b347 said:
Not quite. We dont use Brahman bulls for F1, terminal feeders... mainly for female replacements. We take those F1 females and breed them back to a bull of a different breed to make terminal calves.

So a kind of Super Tiger Stripe cows? Instead of the Hereford/British line you use Continental blood, I would say something like Simmental or Gelbvieh?

I understand that I 3-way cross will give you more heterosis/hybrid vigor than regular F1 cross(That means more $$$), but in your particular case is that extra % and $ enough to outweigh the added complexity of such breeding program?

The goal would be to make an F1 Braford or F1 Brangus cow and breed them back to a different breed like a Charolais bull.

As for does it pay... that is tough to say because every ones operation is different.

We put the Brahman herd together piece by piece so we could make our own F1s. The two main benefits I see are we are controlling our supply chain and we have cattle that are of a higher value in this area. Even in times of drought and low prices the Brahmans and F1s still sell higher. If we stock a lease place with F1 heifers and lose that lease 5 years later those F1s have more resale value than trying to bail 6 and 7 yr old "black cattle". All along the supply chain there are females in high demand that will bring a premium no matter if its pure Brahmans, F1s, Black Super-Baldies, or even 3/4 blood Braford and Brangus cattle. We believe there is cream to be skimmed off the top in selling females. The feeder market has a lot of room for down but not much up. With this game plan you are kind of diversified between feeders and replacements. It does require more capital than just a commercial herd to get in to but probably not as much as getting in to registered cattle.

Its going good so far but Ill know better in 30 years how it panned out. :)

pdfangus":3uu595oo said:
takes generations of selection to get cross breds to breed true
that's for sure..to get the biggest bang out of crossbreeding you need a good foundation.. ""personally""" I would prefer the sire to be linebred if possible ...there's some that can be all over the place...and some will sire cookie cutters..good purebred Brahman cows can usually deliver the results your shooting for..

It makes sense to use the adapted damline in your environment, and use the "exotic" bull rather than Brahman over European Taurus in a heat stressed climate. use the adapted Zebu, F1 or composite dam, this alone should give better progeny as the dam doesn't have to deal with environmental stress as well as raising a calf.

Brute 23":18eru9w4 said:
The goal would be to make an F1 Braford or F1 Brangus cow and breed them back to a different breed like a Charolais bull.

Its going good so far but Ill know better in 30 years how it panned out. :)
Thanks alot, I appreciate the info, I am sure you will do just fine, there is no way to go wrong with the type of cows you are making.

Latest posts