Char Cross Cow Value?

Help Support CattleToday:

I see a big difference between the experience of the Europeans (Kernsie and Anazazi) and the North American on the use of Char cross cows is likely due to differences in the Charolais populations. In North America the Charolais breed has been ruthlessly culled for maternal traits. To the point where muscle is noticeably reduced versus a European animal. The North American Charolais is much easier to live with in larger operations being easier calving, more maternal (fertility, milk) and likely faster growing.

I have a char-sim cow and always crossed with either purebred sim or angus. Haven't had a calf from her that hasn't made me money. :tiphat:

I think breeding them to anything red or red/white would work for color, I'd be careful about diluter genes if you're going to have black though... So since I've narrowed down the choices of breeds so much.... Angus, Brangus, Char, Simm, Saler, Gelbvieh....

I wouldn't mind seeing a Char/GV cross steer at 7 months... I'm sure they look good

Nesikep said:
I think breeding them to anything red or red/white would work for color, I'd be careful about diluter genes if you're going to have black though... So since I've narrowed down the choices of breeds so much.... Angus, Brangus, Char, Simm, Saler, Gelbvieh....

I wouldn't mind seeing a Char/GV cross steer at 7 months... I'm sure they look good[/quote]

and as much as I like my Gelbvieh's it would also probably be as dry as a popcorn fart!

Heres one from a char cow and a black bull. 2 month old steer
photo-29.jpg

And a 2 month old heifer out of a bwf cow and a char bull
photo-30.jpg

VLS_GUY":3lys3p5p said:
I see a big difference between the experience of the Europeans (Kernsie and Anazazi) and the North American on the use of Char cross cows is likely due to differences in the Charolais populations. In North America the Charolais breed has been ruthlessly culled for maternal traits. To the point where muscle is noticeably reduced versus a European animal. The North American Charolais is much easier to live with in larger operations being easier calving, more maternal (fertility, milk) and likely faster growing.

Real progress would be working on the weaknesses WITHOUT losing the strengths.

I have a few percentage char cows that do a really good job with a calf and they're just as easy to keep as my angus and brangus. I'm seriously considering a two way cross of brangus and calving ease charolais(yes, there is such a thing) and covering them with my angus bulls.
It won't work unless you're carefull about it but I believe that you can use char growth in the cowherd without sacrificing maternal energy needs and get the benefit in the calves and still have pure black hides.

Cow Pollinator,

Their are plenty of calving ease Charolais bulls that will do exactly what you want them to do. In fact you can use several different bloodlines to do what you want with out making you cows giants or sacrificing fleshing ability. If you are breeding cows you can use a bull with a birth weight EPD of around +1.0 or less with confidence.
In fact Full french Breeding is being used to increase muscling and fleshing ability in many herds today with out outragous birth weights.
Here is a Bulls that i think might work for you: http://www.semex.com/di/beef/i?lang=en& ... =U&view=71

That cow with the heifer calf looks nice, and the calf is definitely respectable (if it's not a yearling).

3way... what do you mean by "it would be dry as a popcorn fart"? As in it wouldn't make milk?

Red Bull Breeder":1vsebzks said:
Nesikep i think 3way means they would not be any fat in the meat.Which has little to do with any thing except how you cook it.

Yes that's exctly what it means, and with all due respect to RBB it has a lot to do with what a carcass is worth.

There are premiums paid every day on marbling. Why wouldn't it have to do with that.

I am not knocking "leaner" beef but not too many folks are paying extra for it!

Nesikep":sd60ap6c said:
That cow with the heifer calf looks nice, and the calf is definitely respectable (if it's not a yearling).

3way... what do you mean by "it would be dry as a popcorn fart"? As in it wouldn't make milk?
Nesikep
If you are referring to my pictures she was about 7 months at time of photo.

I've never had good luck with char crossed cows . They never seem to milk as good as my other cows.

I am banking on a Char cross experiment now. About 2 years ago, I bought 11 good pureblood char cows. They are producing there 3rd set of calves. The latest calves are sired by a Full blood Braunvieh. I am betting they will make excellent mothers. Most of the calves are white, with a dark nose and hoofs. The bull has good numbers for weaning and milk. I want to keep most of my heifers, and the steers should sale well.
I will most likely breed the heifers to a hereford. Hoping they produce a yellow white calve. I have made more money on a yellow white face calf than anything else.

brimmer X":1zwf1qxw said:
I am banking on a Char cross experiment now. About 2 years ago, I bought 11 good pureblood char cows. They are producing there 3rd set of calves. The latest calves are sired by a Full blood Braunvieh. I am betting they will make excellent mothers. Most of the calves are white, with a dark nose and hoofs. The bull has good numbers for weaning and milk. I want to keep most of my heifers, and the steers should sale well.
I will most likely breed the heifers to a hereford. Hoping they produce a yellow white calve. I have made more money on a yellow white face calf than anything else.
My grandpa ran a charolais/brown swiss bull over hereford cows back in the late 60s. He said they were some good calves. I think your cross will do even better with the hereford as sire.

Have I screwed up? I just bought a registered angus bull to put with 25 char. & char. cross cows.
Being a newbie, I probably did.

Thanks, Massey135. I was looking at my calves yesterday. Some are about 3months old, and begining to turn it on. I have talked to one person in Kansas doing the Braunvieh/ char cross , and they have had good success. I should have more calves in Feb and March.

Did your grandpa say his calves came out yellow using the cross bred bull on the Hereford cows?

Latest posts