Char Cross Cow Value?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I purchased four Char cross heifers at a discount last fall. Three of the four wintered hard. The easy keeper just calved a dark gray rat tail. Starting to wonder...

Is there a good cross for cows like this or are they best off in the feedlot?

Kill price is up. :banana:

Stocker Steve":135mv4w2 said:
I purchased four Char cross heifers at a discount last fall. Three of the four wintered hard. The easy keeper just calved a dark gray rat tail. Starting to wonder...

Hereford!

Hard to beat a buckskin baldie.

Besides hereford, you may want to try Red Poll. They cross nicely with charx, however you may get a solid red one here and there (folks think they are a nice looking red angus, lol!)

Kingfisher":2m9n9cfh said:

Yea I bet that makes em wonder at the sale barn.......[/quote]

Could you perhaps qualify that remark. Why would it make them wonder. Do you think they don't know what they are or have never seen one before?

3waycross, here buck baldies get more than blk baldies, but I don`t know if that is true across the border. However, if they are top cattle they will get top price no matter the color ... I hope.. :?

hillsdown":14auvbft said:
3waycross, here buck baldies get more than blk baldies, but I don`t know if that is true across the border. However, if they are top cattle they will get top price no matter the color ... I hope.. :?

That was my point exactly. I am pretty sure they know what they are at the sale barn.

I believe that Silver Spur Ranches and HooDoo have been using Red Angus effectively on Charolais-influenced cows. Silver Spur refers to them as "Range Fires" and Hoodoo refers to them as "Buckskins."

I have a cow that is 1/4 char and 3/4 angus (Black), she is blonde in color......Breed her to a poled Hereford bull, I thought the calves would be blonde or maybe red with white face....Wrong solid white calf, white not grey or silver......Bull calf banded at 1 day old....nice calf

AndersonRanch.jpg

Ill tell ya in march. Got 3 braford x char calfs goin in along with one braford bred cow

Just remember that you may have had two bad calves because the bulls used weren't the best. I have seen good calves out of char cross cows out of all the breeds suggested. Just make sure you know what your goals are and you use good bulls. I like the idea of using a Balancer or other British Continental cross bull so you keep a optimal mix of British and Continental breeding.

Aaron":12wcnsh2 said:
Stocker Steve":12wcnsh2 said:

Hereford!

I agree 100%, but I still feel the charolais influence needs to come in the form of a terminal bull. A charolais bull over hereford cows (or any other british breed except angus influenced) would make much more sense in my book.

KNERSIE":3fkplhsu said:
Aaron":3fkplhsu said:
Stocker Steve":3fkplhsu said:

Hereford!

I agree 100%, but I still feel the charolais influence needs to come in the form of a terminal bull. A charolais bull over hereford cows (or any other british breed except angus influenced) would make much more sense in my book.

I agree totally, although it might make sense to breed char heifers to a hereford for the first calf. Question is what to cross a commercial charolais cow with, other than another terminal breed like Blonde or parthenais?

Thats my point, keep charolais out of the cowherd and use the breed to its strengths.

Latest posts