Change Vaccine Program?

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
There have been a couple of really great threads concerning the different vaccines. While reading one the poster mentioned giving their calves a shot at birth.
Now some of the responders said that it wouldn't do a thing at that age.
I was looking to change the vaccines we use from Ultrabac 8 to One Shot Ultra 7.
We normally give this vaccine at branding, but after reading about needing to re-vaccinate in 4-6 weeks after first dose I was thinking about giving the first dose at birth then the second at branding.
The changing of the vaccine comes from reading that the Ultrabac does not have the pasteurella.

Any thoughts of the first dose at birth? For it or against it?

We vaccinate for blackleg when they're about a month or so old. But then at weaning they still need a shot followed by a boosture 3-4 weeks later

Beef Quality Assurance ---
http://www.bqa.org/Default.aspx

Beef Quality Assurance is a national program that provides guidelines for beef cattle production. The program raises consumer confidence through offering proper management techniques and a commitment to quality within every segment of the beef industry.

Producers have embraced BQA because it is the right thing to do; but they have also gained through increased profitability. As an educating program, BQA helps producers identify management processes that can be improved.

"BQA is not just about the mechanical part of beef production, like giving vaccines; it is also about the philosophical part, including proper handling and treatment of the animals," says Bill Mies, who served as the technical advisor for the BQA program at its inception. Mies was involved in research concerning beef quality while a professor in beef cattle science at Texas A&M University.

The guiding principles of BQA are based on these core beliefs:

WE BELIEVE production practices affect consumer acceptance of beef.

WE BELIEVE the BQA Program has and must continue to empower beef producers to improve the safety and wholesomeness of beef.

WE BELIEVE these fundamental principles are the fabric of the BQA Program.
Empowering people…because producers can make a difference.
Taking responsibility…because it's our job, not someone else's.
Working together…because product safety and wholesomeness is everyone's business.

The BQA program's early emphasis was on assuring the real and perceived safety of beef. Gary Smith, Colorado State University Monfort Chair and professor of meat sciences, says BQA programming has been instrumental in building beef demand in the U.S. and elsewhere.
"Measures [in the early 1980s] were successfully designed to discourage inappropriate use . . . of antibiotics," he explains. "This included educating stakeholders about proper use of pharmaceutical products and the honoring of withdrawal times."

But ensuring safe beef products by implementing proper use of pharmaceuticals is only one aspect of the BQA program today. BQA programs have evolved to include best practices around good record keeping and protecting herd health, which can result in more profits for producers.

"If you look at the measurable losses in [market] cows and bulls from the audits, including losses from bruising and injection sites, we were losing about $70 per animal. With 4.5 to 5 million head marketed each year, that's a considerable chunk of money," notes Dr. Dee Griffin, DVM, and associate professor at the University of Nebraska's Great Plains Veterinary Education Center.

Griffin says that one way BQA can add value at market is by implementing it with older animals as well as with younger fed cattle. "Many restaurants only buy cuts of meat from 'A' maturity cattle. Each year the U.S. has to import tons of meat to fulfill this age requirement. It's not because the age of the animals produces that much of a lower quality product; it's because the industry does such a good job at managing the younger fed cattle. There is a tremendous opportunity if we can improve adherence with BQA standards in the older animals. This goes for application across the industry, including both beef and dairy producers," says Dr. Griffin.

Source referenced: Peck, Clint. "Going Forward with BQA." Beef Magazine. September 1, 2006.

BQA Code of Cattle Care
Beef cattle producers take pride in their responsibility to provide proper care to cattle. The Code of Cattle Care lists general recommendations for care and handling of cattle.

Provide necessary food, water and care to protect the health and well-being of animals.
Provide disease prevention practices to protect herd health, including access to veterinary care.
Provide facilities that allow safe, humane, and efficient movement and/or restraint of cattle.
Use appropriate methods to humanly euthanize terminally sick or injured livestock and dispose of them properly.
Provide personnel with training/experience to properly handle and care for cattle.
Make timely observations of cattle to ensure basic needs are being met.
Minimize stress when transporting cattle.
Keep updated on advancements and changes in the industry to make decisions based upon sound production practices and consideration for animal well-being.
Persons who willfully mistreat animals will not be tolerated.

The bottom line is -- as a food producer, your livelihood depends on securing the consumer's trust. If you are not on board --you are not helping>>>>>>>>>. SIM

We normally give this vaccine at branding, but after reading about needing to re-vaccinate in 4-6 weeks after first dose I was thinking about giving the first dose at birth then the second at branding.
If you don't plan on BOOSTERING at the proper time span (4-6 weeks) don't bother with the first shot. You are wasting your time, money, & stressing the calf for NOTHING.
Vaccines requiring a BOOSTER does not work WITHOUT THE BOOSTER. The first shot "stimulates" their system, the 2nd shot works on that stimulated system & creates the immunities. I don't know the "proper" terms, but that gives you the idea.
And as far as giving a VACCINE at birth, it is not recommended on the labels - if you read it, it usually will state to give to a calf over 3 months of age. This is because the calf SHOULD have it's immunities still working in it's system from mom's colostrum, and it interveres with the vaccine working properly.
They put instructions on the labels because they have been tested and know what makes their product WORK.
I believe mfg of vaccines should be more SPECIFIC about the "booster in 4-6 weeks" or "3-4 weeks". They should say, NOT BEFORE OR AFTER 4-6 weeks. And they sure don't want to say the first shot won't help the calf, because many people just give the one and, heck, they would be losing sales.

Called the vet.
He has advised to do Alpha 7 at birth, then at branding Bovia Shield Gold 5 and One Shot Ultra 7.
After last year we really want the pasteurella vaccine.
We normally turn them out after branding, but will have to see if there is something else we can do until that 4 weeks passes. Would hate to chase them and stress them too much with alot of rounding up.

Do you brand while the calves are still nursing? And, do you vaccinate your COWS with BoviShield sometime within the last 12 months??? or any other MLV 5-way vaccine?
I would not want to doubt your vet, BUT, MLV are not recommended for nursing calves because you can ABORT your cows - UNLESS - Pfizer's BSG products are appoved to use on nursing calves IF and only IF, the cow has received BSG within 12 months. There are tons of products out there and the vet may not be totally aware of these requirements :shock: , but you don't want to risk aborting cows.
I'm not trying to be a trouble maker - just trying to help.

Is anyone using the one shot IBR, BVD shots like Vista or Pyramid? Does this mean then that I don't need a booster? Also, are you able to use Vist or Pyramid MLVs in place of BSG for pregnenet cows that have already been pre-vaccinated and are able to be vaccinated while pregnent if having the initial vaccination and booster?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":er44jo37 said:
I switched to Vista this year. I am "ASSUMING" that it is safe BUT IT IS NOT CLEARED ON THE LABEL. So, if you use it, it's at your own risk.

We've been using Vision for the lasy 2 or maybe 3 years. No problems

Read the labels on the bottles. It tells you how to use the product correctly. I cant believe your vet said to vaccinate at birth. There have been numerous studies and the drug companies will tell you it wont work. You might as well shoot the syringe in the ground. Especially if you don't do a booster. If you vaccinate your cows correctly (read the label, or go to the drug companies website) the anti-bodies will be passed to the calf in the colostrum. I'm sorry if I sound condesending. Every week someone is asking this same question in a different way. :???:

Jeanne,
We brand the calves before we turn them out to pasture. The bulls are not turned out until later, so the cows are open when they are vaccined. End of April or beginning of May. We start calving at the end of Febuary
We vaccinated our cows last year with Vista 5 SQ at the branding time.
I know you are not trying to cause trouble, but I asked for the advice and thoughts, so anything you have to say is great. I appreciate the thoughts.

Hayray I read the box I have left over and it does not state that a second booster is needed. It does say to not use in pregnant cows or in calves nursing pregnant cows.

Our calves are nursing the cows at time of branding.

Yes, vaccinating your cows at branding time is good, but your calves are actually too young. Now this is not cut & dry. It is "assumed" that each calf has full immunities from mom's colostrum for 3 months. If the calf has full immunites at the time of vaccination, the calf is not getting full benefit (or any, I'm not sure) because of the interferance. Doesn't hurt, but may not be helping.

Sure glad someone else agrees that you shouldn't vaccinate with ANYTHING to a newborn. Waste of time, money & stress on calf (because of 1 more shot). I think sometimes it's easier for a vet to agree & tell you to vaccinate with something rather than trying to explain it's a waste. But, maybe your vet knows something that research hasn't figured out.

Latest posts